Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
davieG

Dangers to English football 'very real', says chair of fan-led review into game

Recommended Posts

Posted

football is big business - look at the usa tv rights deal that's just been agreed. nearly 3 billion for 20 clubs - that 150mil each.  There is no way the value of owning a club is going to be be reduced buy ceding control to fans or to a regulator.  Worse some regulators have weird ideas - look at ofgen.... frankly there is a problem witht eh quality fo people in these organisations.  I am against the idea of regulation. The epl needs to function better and reflect the wishes of its member clubs... but that  doesn't need regulation.

  • Like 1
Posted
On 23/07/2021 at 12:40, blabyboy said:

I read the original article and some of it seemed very sensible. The main niggle i had was with the fans' golden share concept - i can see the attraction for many clubs including fans of the big six, but i see us as one of the few exceptions, as owners genuinely seem to be at one with the club. Having a fans group to negotiate with could slow things down or lead to missed opportunities.

 

Will be interested to read the final report in a couple of month's time.

 

Judging by the other replies, I think you're in the wrong thread

 

 

Posted
9 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

football is big business - look at the usa tv rights deal that's just been agreed. nearly 3 billion for 20 clubs - that 150mil each.  There is no way the value of owning a club is going to be be reduced buy ceding control to fans or to a regulator.  Worse some regulators have weird ideas - look at ofgen.... frankly there is a problem witht eh quality fo people in these organisations.  I am against the idea of regulation. The epl needs to function better and reflect the wishes of its member clubs... but that  doesn't need regulation.

Except it's not £150m each, it's not spread out evenly. 

 

Without some form of regulation why would they change? What would stop the richer clubs going for another version of the Super League?

Posted
3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Except it's not £150m each, it's not spread out evenly. 

 

Without some form of regulation why would they change? What would stop the richer clubs going for another version of the Super League?

The new epl controls  ought inafter the esl collapsed seek to prevent...  

Posted
3 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Hopefully this is as good as any to post this given the news this morning.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59406087

 

Taken from the article...

  • The report makes 47 recommendations, which are summed up in 10 major points:
  • The government should create a new independent regulator (IREF)
  • IREF should oversee financial regulation in football
  • IREF should establish new owners' and directors' tests
  • A new corporate governance code should be set up
  • Equality, diversity and inclusion plans should be mandatory for all clubs
  • Supporters should be consulted on all key off-field decisions through a 'shadow board'
  • Key items of club heritage should be protected by a 'golden share' for fans
  • There should be more support from the Premier League to the pyramid through a solidarity transfer levy, paid by Premier League clubs on buying players from overseas or other top-flight clubs
  • Women's football should be treated equally and given its own review
  • Stakeholders should work to increase protection of welfare of players leaving the game

Few other things not listed include mandatory promotion/relegation contract clauses and permitting drinking at games.  In favour of most of this and really interested to see the final report.

I agree with most of the points on here, the devil as always will be in the detail e.g. who gets to decide on the "key items of a club's heritage", or who gets to qualify as a fan? Is there a key difference between a fan and a supporter? .. to you and me probably not, but where money and regulations are involved there could well be.

 

Who will appoint the IREF board? Will it really have powers or will it be another IPSA?

 

Generally it reads well on the surface, but implementation is another matter

Posted

The fan led review being reported on today has lots of good ideas, while also including a lot of 'run all your decision past us, put us in charge of transfers, let us drink tins in the stands,' stuff. Quality. Can't see many owners going for it, but who knows. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

The fan led review being reported on today has lots of good ideas, while also including a lot of 'run all your decision past us, put us in charge of transfers, let us drink tins in the stands,' stuff. Quality. Can't see many owners going for it, but who knows. 

I think transfers would be counted as on-field and therefore not within the fans' remit

Posted
16 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

The fan led review being reported on today has lots of good ideas, while also including a lot of 'run all your decision past us, put us in charge of transfers, let us drink tins in the stands,' stuff. Quality. Can't see many owners going for it, but who knows. 

Can you imagine @Ric Flair being in charge of our transfers? We'd win the league again next season and Chelsea would sign him straight up as a fan.

Posted
2 hours ago, davieG said:

Except it's not £150m each, it's not spread out evenly. 

 

Without some form of regulation why would they change? What would stop the richer clubs going for another version of the Super League?

It is probably impossible, but it is almost like you need an organisational version of heritage sites, so clubs become Heritage Organisation, limiting what you can do and change.

Posted
On 25/11/2021 at 09:14, davieG said:

It's taken me years to get used to the increase from 10 to 15 mins at half-time, I never understood why I guess it was to sell more food and drink although that doesn't work at Leicester.

 

I also miss the teams coming out to start separately so you only ended up applauding your own team and if you felt like it could vent against the opposition giving those that like to boo a chance to relieve their weekly frustrations.

 

Give us back our football. 

I remember the first game of one season at filbert street when the crowd applauded bristol rovers as they ran onto the pitch, mistaking their blue and white tracksuits as our new ones. lol 

 

plastics, the lot of em. 

 

 

  • Haha 2
Posted

Seriously though, I’d they tried to extend half time to 20/30 minutes I think I’d just **** off to the pub, I get bored during the 15 we have now.
 

I suppose I could nip to the symphony rooms, grab a beer and come back for the second half. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Seriously though, I’d they tried to extend half time to 20/30 minutes I think I’d just **** off to the pub, I get bored during the 15 we have now.
 

I suppose I could nip to the symphony rooms, grab a beer and come back for the second half. 

Even that extra time wouldn't allow enough time to get a beer/refreshments and still not miss some of the game

Posted
26 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Seriously though, I’d they tried to extend half time to 20/30 minutes I think I’d just **** off to the pub, I get bored during the 15 we have now.
 

I suppose I could nip to the symphony rooms, grab a beer and come back for the second half. 

15 now is too long.

  • Like 2
Posted
On 25/11/2021 at 10:31, davieG said:

Except it's not £150m each, it's not spread out evenly. 

 

Without some form of regulation why would they change? What would stop the richer clubs going for another version of the Super League?

Yes... I an unhappy about the allocation... and akdonthe champions league opportunities for the big clubs.  

Out side the EPL,  I would stop clubs buying player other than cash up front... as this would effective reduce prices. 

Further when a club goes into administration it is unfair that they have to prioritise the debts to other clubs.... again stopping this would stop clubs running up debts to other clubs

  • Like 1
Posted

All of the recommendations seem absolutely fair and right to implement. But it does feel a little like the horse has bolted.

 

The problem with football is that it’s such big business but full of absolute amateurs. I used to work with the commercial departments of football clubs (sponsorship and hospitality etc) and they are all full of car salesman type young men who think they’re something special because they work for a football club.

 

In the governing bodies you have a boys club, many of whom have grown up within the industry based on their connections in the game. But they’re at the top of organisations that deal with incredible sums of money. Levels of money that if you put them in charge of a comparable size of organisation outside of football they’d be so far out of their depth.

Posted
On 23/07/2021 at 17:02, Vlad the Fox said:

Hammer the agents, they take far too much out the game and have far too much influence and control without giving anything back. 

Agents I think could be dealt with in the reforms. In any other walk of life, should you seek legal or contractual advice, whether criminal, civil buying a house etc, a solicitor or advisor is employed. However, the bill is nearly always paid for by the person requiring the advice. Would it not be sensible therefore to make it an offence within the football industry for any club to make any form of payment whatsoever to an agent. Any payments should be made by the client ie the footballer themselves. Agents would become a lot poorer overnight and far less able to hold clubs to ransome. Players, if having to pay up out of their own money will be far more circumspect in whom they employ. 

  • Like 2
Posted
7 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Agents I think could be dealt with in the reforms. In any other walk of life, should you seek legal or contractual advice, whether criminal, civil buying a house etc, a solicitor or advisor is employed. However, the bill is nearly always paid for by the person requiring the advice. Would it not be sensible therefore to make it an offence within the football industry for any club to make any form of payment whatsoever to an agent. Any payments should be made by the client ie the footballer themselves. Agents would become a lot poorer overnight and far less able to hold clubs to ransome. Players, if having to pay up out of their own money will be far more circumspect in whom they employ. 

Yes, I hadn’t considered that but it’s a very good point, could force self regulation.

  • Like 1
  • 10 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...