Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HybridFox

Marvel/DC

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

One thing that does irk me is if you haven't caught up with every film and potentially the TV spin offs, big parts of the film series will go straight over your head. Obviously great for your fan base etc but annoying of you're on the edge

It annoyed me between Captain Marvel and Endgame. Because I had been away and hadn't got round to watching Captain Marvel yet. In the run up to Endgame release it was no longer being shown in Leicester cinemas nor had it been released on DVD/Bluray yet lol

I think I cut it quite fine in the end when it become available for streaming.

Disney Plus will help now but they've sucked everyone in now and like you said you feel like you need to watch everything to ensure you're fully up to speed with each film

• Like 1

I missed Captain America Civil War, a couple of the Thor titles, Captain Marvel and 10 TV series I couldn't be arsed to watch and went straight to the big Avengers films. 

This stuff isn't exactly Dostoevsky. I was able to catch up.

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

This stuff isn't exactly Dostoevsky. I was able to catch up.

I think they’ve pretty much mastered this stuff. You can watch any individual film or series and follow it (and enjoy it) just fine, but for the real Marvel nerds there’s always loads of references to other stuff to enjoy.

On 23/08/2021 at 16:08, MonkeyTennis? said:

The problem with them, if I'm honest, is that they seem to have become what young people think films are.

There must be a danger of this.

However the only kids whose movie tastes I know love the MCU films and also loved Nomadland, so all is not lost!

I really enjoy the MCU films although starting to get a bit lost with all the time travel and multi universe aspect of it all. 

I think marvel do great at getting you to invest in their characters and the plots are fairly simple (good v bad) 

not been overly impressed with the Tv shows, think they should stick to films personally. Although I really enjoyed Wanda vision (especially the concept). Never watched agents of shield (don’t think Iv missed much in terms of the grand story line of the MCU). The most recent tv shows have felt like they are trying to set up the next phase of the MCU core story.

5 hours ago, marbles said:

The good thing is that most MCU things you have to watch, are entertaining.

Its not like you have to slog through a couple 3 hour disasters to get caught up.

There a few old ones that are basically just filling little holes in story ready for the avengers films 

That’s because they are now intertwined.

The other TV series - Agent of Shield, Daredevil, Punisher, Jess Jones, Iron Fist - had nothing to do with the movies.  You could skip them, and miss nothing.

Now, you can still skip the TV shows, but small parts of each series plays into something bigger in the movies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marbles said:

That’s because they are now intertwined.

The other TV series - Agent of Shield, Daredevil, Punisher, Jess Jones, Iron Fist - had nothing to do with the movies.  You could skip them, and miss nothing.

Now, you can still skip the TV shows, but small parts of each series plays into something bigger in the movies.

Are the new ones as good as JJ or Daredevil?  Been taking a sabbatical from MCU stuff lately.

Could never reconcile the comics of my childhood with the TV and movie franchises or relate to them. Sacrilege. Amazed that Luke Cage, Valkyrie, Sub Mariner, Man Thing and the Watcher have never been adapted to or featured in either though.  Perhaps they have - I've barely seen any, so I wouldn't know. 

12 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Could never reconcile the comics of my childhood with the TV and movie franchises or relate to them. Sacrilege. Amazed that Luke Cage, Valkyrie, Sub Mariner, Man Thing and the Watcher have never been adapted to or featured in either though.  Perhaps they have - I've barely seen any, so I wouldn't know. 

Luke Cage got a Netflix show with 2 series as well as being in The Defenders.  The Watchers feature very minorly in Guardians 2.  The others aren't in MCU or referenced by it as far as I know.

On 24/08/2021 at 15:17, moore_94 said:

Would think it has to be Dafoe as you can hear his laugh when you see one of his pumpkin bombs

Dafoe has been sighted on the set, along with rumours of Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire being involved. Going to be epic movie if true.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Dafoe has been sighted on the set, along with rumours of Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire being involved. Going to be epic movie if true.

Infinity War was my favourite one but I reckon if this script is right, it could top the lot 

9 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Infinity War was my favourite one but I reckon if this script is right, it could top the lot 

You think a Spider-Man movie with a couple of old characters in it, could top a movie that took 10 years to set up and was probably the biggest cinema event in recent memory? It’s a no from me champ 

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Are the new ones as good as JJ or Daredevil?  Been taking a sabbatical from MCU stuff lately.

WandaVision is the best.

Loki is strange, but worth it if you stick with it.

Falcon/Winter Soldier is just like watching a popcorn flick - lots of crazy action.

None are as gritty/brutal as JJ and Daredevil. 
However, the seasons are also not as long, so there’s no “filler” episodes.  Each one is important to the next, and to the whole.  Unlike the Netflix/Marvel shows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Luke Cage got a Netflix show with 2 series as well as being in The Defenders.  The Watchers feature very minorly in Guardians 2.  The others aren't in MCU or referenced by it as far as I know.

Actually :)

The scene in Endgame where Black Widow is getting briefed about the going inside around the world, it’s mentioned that there are earthquakes in the ocean under Wakanda.  

This is a reference to Sub-Mariner.  One that at one time was rumored to play out in the Fantastic Four movie.

I have no doubt that they will get around to Namor.  As the villain to start, and then most likely a redemption in his own movie.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Yes, but was he sporting his poker visor and canary yellow lead shirt? 

The Defenders? - That was originally Doctor Strange, Hulk, Namor and Silver Surfer. And actually, from memory the 'New Defenders'  later included Valkyrie - who I also mentioned. There was also another alliance I've just recalled - Champions, consisting of Hercules, Black Widow and Ghost Rider amongst others - perhaps that's been adapted too?

Strikes me, and I know very little about it beyond the comics of my childhood, characters are mercilessly plundered or reimagined for cash with the writers not deferring or outright disregarding the comic book canon. I was actually in conversation with someone at work about their Marvel obsession and they didn't even realise that these characters have been adapted from the latter - believing they were created for movies. But then, I also had to explain that Thor and Loki were derived from Norse mythology. You'll find the same with Lord of the Rings, I've met so many that think it was solely a movie franchise (soon to be Amazon) and have no idea about Tolkien or his books. 

The entire thing seems to be one great big conflicting bloody mess to me...but then as I said, I avoid it. The last superhero film I watched was Ang Lee's adaptation of The Hulk - and I thought it was a job reasonably well done to be fair.  

He actually did wear the outfit, but only briefly during a flashback to his origin.

Valkyrie has a prominent role in the third Thor movie.

Its actually not a conflicting mess.  It only seems that way to someone who hasnt followed along, or to someone who won't give it a chance.

As someone who seemed to read comics at a young age, and can actually remember the obscure ones, I'm surprised by your reluctance to watch any of these movies.

They are extremely entertaining, and most of the storylines are very good.

The biggest thing for me, is watching the character growth.  No character is the same at the conclusion of Endgame, as they were in their respective origin story.

If the last thing you saw was Ang Lee's Hulk - if I can get you to watch the MCU, you are going to be amazed!

Edited by marbles
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, marbles said:

The biggest thing for me, is watching the character growth.  No character is the same at the conclusion of Endgame, as they were in their respective origin story.

That is something that Marvel have always excelled as and very much the rationale behind the creation of Spiderman - a fallible hero, under the mask and behind the costume experiencing the same teenage angst as his peers that the audience could relate to. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Line-X said:

That is something that Marvel have always excelled as and very much the rationale behind the creation of Spiderman - a fallible hero, under the mask and behind the costume experiencing the same teenage angst as his peers that the audience could relate to. 

not just Spiderman.

It was originally the main difference between DC/Marvel

One company (DC) had a bunch of overpowered gods living wonderful lives.  It attracted readers who wanted to escape.

The other (Marvel) had powerful heroes, who had regular people issues behind the scenes - X-Men dealt with racism. Fantastic Four fought amongst themselves.  Spiderman was a nerdy teenager. etc.

Seeing heroes with problems is what made me choose Marvel over DC back in my younger days