Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Golden Fox

Football Kits 2022/23

On 13/12/2021 at 22:07, Langston said:

Shame the Admiral logo is optically off against the crest!

Agree, but rather than use the England kit as an inspiration, they have gone for an exact copy which is why the Admiral logo is so high... but its the 3 stars on top of the badge that cause the problem. (and the sponsor!)

image.png.13b69aaef90aef2b6c8aa369feaeeb63.png

They have also used the same template in another 3 colours for the goalkeeper kits - https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/12/admiral-jubilo-iwata-2022-kits.html.

image.thumb.png.561fdd4fb16e6cfb371fd6bce8bd254f.png

I do love this look though and do think a consistent look across all the kits makes a much better set than our current approach of various mismatch kits... Adidas did a similar template a couple of years ago (Our white kit made infamous at Newport, Lyon, Birmingham etc) and it seems to sum up Adidas' approach to our kit that it was a half-arsed 1 kit out of the 3 with just blue on the white rather than fully embracing it like this!   

9 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Agree, but rather than use the England kit as an inspiration, they have gone for an exact copy which is why the Admiral logo is so high... but its the 3 stars on top of the badge that cause the problem. (and the sponsor!)

image.png.13b69aaef90aef2b6c8aa369feaeeb63.png

They have also used the same template in another 3 colours for the goalkeeper kits - https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/12/admiral-jubilo-iwata-2022-kits.html.

image.thumb.png.561fdd4fb16e6cfb371fd6bce8bd254f.png

I do love this look though and do think a consistent look across all the kits makes a much better set than our current approach of various mismatch kits... Adidas did a similar template a couple of years ago (Our white kit made infamous at Newport, Lyon, Birmingham etc) and it seems to sum up Adidas' approach to our kit that it was a half-arsed 1 kit out of the 3 with just blue on the white rather than fully embracing it like this!   

Oh I know it's aligned with the stars, hence "optically" off rather than physically!

Amazing what a clean sponsor can do for kits too.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:52, Golden Fox said:

MLS kits are a bit out of whack with the rest of the World, but time to start a 22/23 thread, and who else to launch the thread than everyone's favourite Austrian with Charlotte Checkers launching their inaugural kit.

https://twitter.com/CharlotteFCKits/status/1469111569292406793

The Checkers are a hockey team 😜

I like it when teams in a city share the same or similar color schemes, so I like it that Charlotte FC and the Panthers “match” with their Carolina blue. (See also Revolution/Patriots, Atlanta FC/Falcons, Sounders/Seahawks, Nashville SC/Predators, New York teams mostly wearing blue, Pittsburgh teams wearing black and yellow, Ottawa teams wearing red and black, etc.).

MLS and adidas should probably think about bumping up their kit cycles by a few months, though. Charlotte (being an expansion team and all) has plenty of time to do their rollout, but releasing new shirts and apparel in January or February means these teams miss out on Christmas/holiday shopping.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jordan said:

The Checkers are a hockey team 😜

I like it when teams in a city share the same or similar color schemes, so I like it that Charlotte FC and the Panthers “match” with their Carolina blue. (See also Revolution/Patriots, Atlanta FC/Falcons, Sounders/Seahawks, Nashville SC/Predators, New York teams mostly wearing blue, Pittsburgh teams wearing black and yellow, Ottawa teams wearing red and black, etc.).

MLS and adidas should probably think about bumping up their kit cycles by a few months, though. Charlotte (being an expansion team and all) has plenty of time to do their rollout, but releasing new shirts and apparel in January or February means these teams miss out on Christmas/holiday shopping.

I agree on the common colour schemes (also see South Wales with Newport's amber, Cardiff's Blue & Swansea's white common across football and rugby) - but where it is more organic rather than forced. Pittsburgh's flag being yellow and black and New York's being blue, white and orange are symbols of civic pride, so watching Mets/Pirates or Isles/Pens is a great look across multiple sports. It was interesting though that the Kraken specifically went away from lime green/blue as they wanted to stand out in the Seattle marketplace: the last thing they wanted was an arena full of Seahawks jerseys!

But I think the whole current branding of MLS is very poor - the recent swathe of logos, branding and names all feels like its trying to be classy, but is just lame and missing the point of what it means to be a US sports team. Colombus' owners trying to drop the Crew nickname and Dallas dropping back to Dallas FC is just putting more blandness into the sport, while the Crew's new logo, Chicago's mess of a rebrand, the Revolution chucking away an iconic logo which was the only original one left standing and Houston's new logo etc are all poor and just based around the city's initials. Worst of the lot is Nashville who has no name, a non-event of a logo, and has just nicked yellow from the Preds (no offence Steve Guppy!).

Charlotte isn't quite as bad a Nashville. The logo is dull, bull has more about it than just a letter. The light blue with white sleeves is a unique look in football, & while sharing the colour scheme, the light blue is more of an accent Panthers colour rather than the primary black so I think the kit finds a good spot. But the name is instantly forgettable... give us a proper name and we might remember it rather than it feeling like something is missing... no wonder I called them the Checkers!!!

I’m pretty much in agreement with everything you said about recent MLS “branding” @Golden Fox. The names do feel either pretentious, forced, or bland. These new logos boring (Nashville, New England) or just plain bad (Fire fiasco, Columbus).

Plus, Adidas isn’t giving the teams a whole lot of room where they can stand out (so at least they did a good job with Charlotte’s look).

Galaxy, Sounders, and Timbers read, sound, and look just fine to me. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jordan said:

I like it that Charlotte FC and the Panthers “match” with their Carolina blue. (See also Revolution/Patriots, Atlanta FC/Falcons, Sounders/Seahawks, Nashville SC/Predators

How many of those are because the owners are the same? 

Panthers and CFC, Pats and Revs, Atlanta and Falcons, Saunders and Kraken share owners don't they, not sure about a Seahawks connection? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

How many of those are because the owners are the same? 

Panthers and CFC, Pats and Revs, Atlanta and Falcons, Saunders and Kraken share owners don't they, not sure about a Seahawks connection? 

Yes - quite a few (don't think there is any shared ownership with the Seahawks/Kraken), which is what I was saying to start with - it's great if there is a common theme due to a flag, but to be branded after someone's empire building does not feel like a good way to build an identity and history and loyalty for a sports team - especially if it's then sold as the first thing the new owner will want is to remove traces of previous owners. 

Another one is the Colorado Rapids whose colour scheme was changed to match the Colorado Avalanche. Fun fact: the Avalanche were originally going to be burgandy and green, but the printer didn't work properly and the green came out blue, and they stuck with that! So the Rapids' secondary colour of blue isn't even their own story to tell.

I'm glad we are exempt from it in England... We won't ever change our home kit from a nice clean blue and white. :unsure:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure i've ever known it be this quiet in terms of leaks/releases

Looks like some of the sites from last year have gone... maybe shut down?

Not even much chatter about teams signing new supplier deals, that sort of stuff is usually out there by now.

Given that most Prem teams will wear their new kit in 6/7 or so games, would have expected to see a lot more, you'd imagine a lot of the marketing work has been done already. 

Or maybe clubs are finally just getting better at keeping quiet lol 

51 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Not sure i've ever known it be this quiet in terms of leaks/releases

Looks like some of the sites from last year have gone... maybe shut down?

Not even much chatter about teams signing new supplier deals, that sort of stuff is usually out there by now.

Given that most Prem teams will wear their new kit in 6/7 or so games, would have expected to see a lot more, you'd imagine a lot of the marketing work has been done already. 

Or maybe clubs are finally just getting better at keeping quiet lol 

Footyheadlines is the main place to go. 

Just had a look and they've got Juve on there and a lovely black and gold Arsenal away kit. But yeah do agree there's usually loads knocking about. 

Edited by StanSP
  • Like 2