Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxyPV

ADHD

5 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

At the risk of speaking for others I think those working in this field would say that's EXACTLY the point of getting a diagnosis.

When I think about it, in my experience the labelling thing is more of an issue for parents or those looking out for the interests of the person who might have the condition rather than the person themselves, whether that be because of worries about stigma, 'othering' and stuff like that. If you're actually living with something, I struggle to imagine anything other than wanting to know what's going on. I've seen folk discouraged from that sort of thinking in the past and I think that's really unhelpful.

I'm being well nosey but other than you being kinder to yourself (which I know it's early but I hope has started) does your diagnosis have any other practical implications going forward?

I don’t know really haha. Planning isn’t my forte. It means a lot of stuff I’ve hated myself for (dropping out of uni, 100 failed jobs/relationships, generally being a bit rubbish) will be easier to explain to myself. Practically I suppose I’ll look at medication, though at first I didn’t want that at all. I want to be “better “ at some things though don’t want to lose myself. Sorry, getting a bit existential. I do worry that drugs change who you are a bit. But the thought of taking a pill that will enable me to do something as simple as read a book does make me feel good. Hoping it makes me a better person. Most of the “failings” in my life (personal and professional) could certainly be linked to ADHD in hindsight. 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Well that's always the dilemma isn't it, as to what the need for diagnosis is even if something is suspected. My niece, for example, got a diagnosis of her condition after various developmental milestones were met very, very late, and her parents just wanted to know what was going on, and the knock on has been getting access to additional educational resources and eventually going to a Special School. If she were still in a mainstream school it would have ended up being a nightmare for her as she was starting to struggle. Things got changed for her not because of the diagnosis, but because she was finding things difficult, so it comes back to the same thing again, the diagnosis is an explanation of what's going on more than anything else.

Glad to hear your lad is doing well, long may that continue. Did you get any feedback when you paused the ADOS? For goodness sake don't go on what I say as my knowledge is very much secondhand but my perception of those I know in this field is that there's unlikely to be much pressure to see things through right to a conclusion if the individual is doing well. They're no keener to label people than anyone else in my experience

No, they didn't pressure us to see things through. I was slightly nervous before I told the lead paediatrician that we wanted to pause the process (our son had observations from a number of therapists and doctors & I didn't want them to think we'd wasted their time). But she couldn't have been more agreeable - I even got the impression she thought it was a good idea.  

• Like 2

I have ADD although I know it is now called ADHD-pi. Intrestingly I recently took a full genome test (not one of those 23andme tests but a full genome test which has more use in genetic research than finding out your ancestry) and while I didn't have many genetic variants relating to  ADHD in general (a highly heritable illness) I had all the bad genetic variants for bad dopamine receptors.

Edited by Fightforever

My eldest was diagnosed with adhd and autism last year and was recommended meds which we’ve just started after a year of waiting. Behaviour at school now college was/is very good but at home it can be real battle at times. Last night was horrendous with the fireworks. The medication was great for the first week but doesn’t seem to improve his mood now, they’ve just upped them for the third time. I feel so sad for him at times when everything gets on top of him and just wish we could help more. 

• 1 month later...

Have started taking Concerta XL very low dose. Only two days in. I really really don’t like the thought of being medicated for the rest of my life but after waiting so long for a diagnosis and being desperate to “get better” at the things I find difficult I feel like I have to give it a go. So far so good, no side effects. Will see how it goes. 

51 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Have started taking Concerta XL very low dose. Only two days in. I really really don’t like the thought of being medicated for the rest of my life but after waiting so long for a diagnosis and being desperate to “get better” at the things I find difficult I feel like I have to give it a go. So far so good, no side effects. Will see how it goes. 

Good luck. I found it helped me in ways I wasn't expecting and didn't help directly with some of the things I hoped. It's not a difficult drug to stop taking if it isn't working out though and there's no reason to think mild therapeutic doses of stimulants should do us any harm. After all it's literally licensed for 3 year olds! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/12/2022 at 20:48, LiberalFox said:

Good luck. I found it helped me in ways I wasn't expecting and didn't help directly with some of the things I hoped. It's not a difficult drug to stop taking if it isn't working out though and there's no reason to think mild therapeutic doses of stimulants should do us any harm. After all it's literally licensed for 3 year olds! 

Well the trial went well and they upped my dosage but changed to Xaggitin. I understand they are basically the same drug but it freaked me out slightly and I’d have rather stayed on Concerta. So far no real bad side effects (twitchy eye and slight heart palpitations) but it’s hard to gauge whether working. I’d say maybe I feel slightly less anxious. But I haven’t noticed a huge difference in terms of focus. 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 01/11/2022 at 09:55, RumbleFox said:

Just sitting waiting for my assessment. It’s finally here. Starts in 5 minutes. Xx 

Hi. Did you go private and if so where? 
we are trying to get our daughter assesssd and being told September earliest by Spire. Obviously NHS is a no go 

On 07/11/2022 at 00:32, Vlad the Fox said:

My eldest was diagnosed with adhd and autism last year and was recommended meds which we’ve just started after a year of waiting. Behaviour at school now college was/is very good but at home it can be real battle at times. Last night was horrendous with the fireworks. The medication was great for the first week but doesn’t seem to improve his mood now, they’ve just upped them for the third time. I feel so sad for him at times when everything gets on top of him and just wish we could help more. 

18 minutes ago, FLAN said:

If anyone can remmend a private option for a child to be assessed would be much appreciated 🙏 

I'm no expert on the matter but have you gone to your GP? Worst case scenario is you get some advice and put on a waiting list, even if it is a long one. They should be able to advise on private options in the area too.

Try this.

http://www.adhdcentre.co.uk

From the website:

GMC registered Consultant Psychiatrist led service

We offer the latest evidence-based treatments

Treatment package is tailored to suit your needs

We offer online and face-to-face assessments
Helping people to flourish since 2009

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I'm no expert on the matter but have you gone to your GP? Worst case scenario is you get some advice and put on a waiting list, even if it is a long one. They should be able to advise on private options in the area too.

Yes we’ve done that and been advised the wait is years post referral. And literally no advice in the meantime 

Just now, FLAN said:

Yes we’ve done that and been advised the wait is years post referral. And literally no advice in the meantime 

This is similar to the experience my daughter found when trying to get help for my grandson. We don't live in Leicester area so you might need to do some local research. Good luck

1 hour ago, FLAN said:

we are trying to get our daughter assesssd and being told September earliest by Spire. Obviously NHS is a no go 

Hi there. No I went NHS but it took nearly 2 years which obviously isn’t ideal. I’m 42 so I figured I’d lived a long time without knowing so was happy to wait but it’s terrible really, especially with younger folk. I did look into private but I think I was quoted about £600 and couldn’t justify it. Sorry I can’t be of more help. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLAN said:

No, but we are thinking of doing so for my daughter now, she's developed severe anxiety over the lost few months and is showing signs of autism as well.  

My other half does all the chasing up so I'll ask her when I get back later on if no one else has answered your question. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Hi there. No I went NHS but it took nearly 2 years which obviously isn’t ideal. I’m 42 so I figured I’d lived a long time without knowing so was happy to wait but it’s terrible really, especially with younger folk. I did look into private but I think I was quoted about £600 and couldn’t justify it. Sorry I can’t be of more help. 

Yes that's sounds divider l similar to what my wife said. I think autism is cheaper than adhd, though you'll probably get a test in weeks rather than years however. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FLAN said:

If anyone can remmend a private option for a child to be assessed would be much appreciated 🙏 

Hi,

I can recommend https://www.enhancingfutures.co.uk/

They have recently diagnosed my 17 yo daughter with autism and my 15 yo with autism & ADHD (after a few years of getting nowhere through school & CAMHS). Still took a few months but they've been excellent and very professional.

• Like 2

FWIW we tried CAHMS several years ago for our adopted daughter's MH issues including suspected ADHD. She was 12y.rs old

Useless. No tests, no intervention because she wouldn't engage. Just 2 sessions of "interactive support" which she rejected. CAMHS basically said if she's not willing, there's nothing we can do. Get on with it.

She's now 30 yrs old and has now been diagnosed with "adult" ADHD after being sectioned 3 times and spending time as a MH inpatient at Glenfield (who are shit, BTW).

Good luck. It's not an easy path to walk.

Edited by Parafox

8 hours ago, FLAN said:

Thanks to you all for the info. Really appreciate it 

If you’ve not already done so I’d go to the school as well, there’s funding and organisations that they can also access to help your child at school.

There’s also the disability living allowance you can claim to help with any costs that are involved with people with autism and adhd, depending on severity and how much it impacts their life.