Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tom27111

The food thread

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Gotta love a leg of lamb on Easter Sunday 

Screenshot_20220417-182305_Gallery.jpg

We have had the goat meat marinating in spices for the last 2 days.  It's being cooked as we speak and it smells fantastic.   The wife is making the rotis to go with the curry goat (goat curry, whichever way you prefer to say it).

Chop up a salad and devour. Can't wait!

Hope the lamb turned out tasty!

• Like 2

Just now, Jattdogg said:

We have had the goat meat marinating in spices for the last 2 days.  It's being cooked as we speak and it smells fantastic.   The wife is making the rotis to go with the curry goat (goat curry, whichever way you prefer to say it).

Enjoy @Jattdogg, sounds incredible!

Ours turned out fantastic thank you. My favourite dish to cook, but usually only once a year as everyone in my house isn't keen on lamb (it's the king of roasts)

Cooked it at the in laws and went down well. They love it, its just my Mrs and kids that don't!

Red cabbage with it too @FoxesDeb :yesyes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Ours turned out fantastic thank you. My favourite dish to cook, but usually only once a year as everyone in my house isn't keen on lamb (it's the king of roasts)

Cooked it at the in laws and went down well. They love it, its just my Mrs and kids that don't!

I havent had a roast lamb since my mum made it last and shes been gone for over 10 years. Never made one before!

Usually i buy the leg of lamb, chop it up and curry it lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Do you put a dry rub on the goat? What kind of spices? 

I would absolutely love to do something like that 😋

21 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

We absolutely love that cabbage, I've made it again since Christmas and frozen it in portions, we eat it with lots of different meals now 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

We absolutely love that cabbage, I've made it again since Christmas and frozen it in portions, we eat it with lots of different meals now 

Oh Deb, I'm flattered! 

It is banging though lol

I'm just amazed that Mr Deb didn't like cabbage, and now he's all over it!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Do you put a dry rub on the goat? What kind of spices? 

I would absolutely love to do something like that 😋

This is my wifes trini goat curry. My east indian one is different. For hers, we chop up di meat chunks from di butcha to more bite size. She might "wash" it in lime or vinegar first cant remember.

Then add to it west indian duck/goat meat masala mix, green onion, garlic, thyme, black pepper and culantro ( also known as bandaniya or shaddow benny. It's  a cousin of cilantro and can be found in west indian or some asian grocery stores).  

Then after its done marinating she cooks it in a corningware dish with potato. Depending on how she wants to cook it she might just add uncooked onions, ginger, garlic, west indian powder, ground coriander, ground cumin, salt and water for the gravy.......or she will make a  "thorka" mix of onions/garlic/ginger, west indian curry powder, ground coriander and ground cumin cooked in a tablespoon or so of oil until onion golden brownish.  Either way gets added to the pot of goat with water. 

Then cooks for 2 or 3 hours. Add garam masala in the last 10 minutes or so and garnish with cilantro. Serve with roti or rice ( or both) and of course salad. If you want a plain yogurt thats up to you.

Because our kids cant handle too spicey right now i have a trini peppa sauce i made and keep in the fridge which is a mix of vinegar, garlic, culantro, cilantro, mustard, scotch bonnet pepper, salt all grounded up. I add that to give it ummph.  Or if not she will just cook the goat with scotch bonnet thrown in (but unchopped...chop if you want serious heat).

More to it but something along them lines.

20220417_165059.jpg

Screenshot_20220417-165228_Gallery.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

This is my wifes trini goat curry. My east indian one is different. For hers, we chop up di meat chunks from di butcha to more bite size. She might "wash" it in lime or vinegar first cant remember.

Then add to it west indian duck/goat meat masala mix, green onion, garlic, thyme, black pepper and culantro ( also known as bandaniya or shaddow benny. It's  a cousin of cilantro and can be found in west indian or some asian grocery stores).  

Then after its done marinating she cooks it in a corningware dish with potato. Depending on how she wants to cook it she might just add uncooked onions, ginger, garlic, west indian powder, ground coriander, ground cumin, salt and water for the gravy.......or she will make a  "thorka" mix of onions/garlic/ginger, west indian curry powder, ground coriander and ground cumin cooked in a tablespoon or so of oil until onion golden brownish.  Either way gets added to the pot of goat with water. 

Then cooks for 2 or 3 hours. Add garam masala in the last 10 minutes or so and garnish with cilantro. Serve with roti or rice ( or both) and of course salad. If you want a plain yogurt thats up to you.

Because our kids cant handle too spicey right now i have a trini peppa sauce i made and keep in the fridge which is a mix of vinegar, garlic, culantro, cilantro, mustard, scotch bonnet pepper, salt all grounded up. I add that to give it ummph.  Or if not she will just cook the goat with scotch bonnet thrown in (but unchopped...chop if you want serious heat).

More to it but something along them lines.

20220417_165059.jpg

Screenshot_20220417-165228_Gallery.jpg

Your wife is SURE she's made the right decision to be married to you?

She doesn't want a grey haired middle aged man who's moved away from Leicester? lol

That looks absolutely beautiful, you've made me hungry again, although I was in a food coma on the sofa!

19 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Your wife is SURE she's made the right decision to be married to you?

She doesn't want a grey haired middle aged man who's moved away from Leicesterlol

That looks absolutely beautiful, you've made me hungry again, although I was in a food coma on the sofa!

I am 42, grey haired and moved to Canada a longggggg time ago. 

I cook it as well but like i said i cook more punjab style curries.

I just finished eating and the sofa is looking good right now.  Got the candles on to get rid of the curry smell though. Not exactly something i want to smell like in public lol.

Open windows, boil cinnamon, anything lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jattdogg said:

I am 42, grey haired and moved to Canada a longggggg time ago. 

I cook it as well but like i said i cook more punjab style curries.

I just finished eating and the sofa is looking good right now.  Got the candles on to get rid of the curry smell though. Not exactly something i want to smell like in public lol.

Open windows, boil cinnamon, anything lol.

Hope you enjoyed. Looked incredible!

I'm always looking to cook new things.

Me and the Mrs hate being adults, because it's basically having to decide what you have for dinner every night lol

I am definitely trying that spiced goat! Rotis will be bought at Tesco though!

59 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Hope you enjoyed. Looked incredible!

I'm always looking to cook new things.

Me and the Mrs hate being adults, because it's basically having to decide what you have for dinner every night lol

I am definitely trying that spiced goat! Rotis will be bought at Tesco though!

Youtube a few recipes because everyone cooks their curries slightly different especially depending on your location in india/pakistan etc. Will get an idea of what others do and how they cook it.  

In regards to being an adult i am at that place too. The kids can be fussy at times so you take them into consideration to a point. But boy are they stubborn when they dont like something! Shut it and eat it!

Have to say, i love cooking but get tired of planning and making dishes because i feel as though I'm tired of the same old. Variety is key but it sucks when you try something new and more than half the time the excitement disappears as you realize what you made was either shit, the wrong recipe or just lacking something.

If your look for trini style cooking check this guys channel out

He actually lives in the city i spent most of my life in.  He has so many videos.

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Lamb Crumble MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE MEAL

For 2 people

500g mince lamb

Onion

Fry the 2 together

1tbsp mint sauce

1tbsp tomato puree

Knorr Lamb stock pot

Stir into the lamb and onions to bind.

Rub flour into butter to make breadcrumbs. Stir in grated cheese and mixed herbs.

Put crumb on top of lamb mix in a Pyrex dish

Cook at 180 for 40 mins

Edited by filthyfox

13 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Some green daal, basmati rice and two different types of battered smelt. Needed something to go with the rice/daal.

20221230_173026.jpg

Looks great.  Not sure about the plates though lol

Is the daal spicy?

Are you frozen in where you are at the minute?

11 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Looks great.  Not sure about the plates though lol

Is the daal spicy?

Are you frozen in where you are at the minute?

Lol. We bought corningware (every indian family i know have them) in our first house after we got married. I prefer them to any other stuff i see in stores without paying crazy £$. 

I am a bit bored of the pattern (been 12 years) but i can't buy new ones knowing these work fine. Care more about the food on them :)

The daal is spiced right for me. I used to eat super spicey as thats how inwas raised to eat it but the acid reflux has me changed the spice level. I dont have fried food often so its more of a treat to have fried fish.

the other day (december 23rd or so) it was -20 celsius. Today it hit a high of +13 celsius.

Foookin mental and totally unseasonal to be this warm in late december.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Steak tonight. With chips, portobello mushrooms, oven roasted vine tomatoes, onion rings, coleslaw and Dianne sauce.

That's on a wooden board, by the way, I've not just chucked it on the worktops lol

Screenshot_20221231_194256_Gallery.jpg

Nice I have steak tomorrow. We had this tonight.

15659DBB-8AB0-465F-A2C5-4C66DC6A078D.jpeg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Steak tonight. With chips, portobello mushrooms, oven roasted vine tomatoes, onion rings, coleslaw and Dianne sauce.

That's on a wooden board, by the way, I've not just chucked it on the worktops lol

Screenshot_20221231_194256_Gallery.jpg

Ended up pretty much snap on the steak. Ribeye, Parmesan garlic rosemary fries in the air fryer, homemade Diane sauce, onion rings and peas.

683A0BC3-8A8E-4C44-819C-2BEF973EDD91.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Ended up pretty much snap on the steak. Ribeye, Parmesan garlic rosemary fries in the air fryer, homemade Diane sauce, onion rings and peas.

That looks like an excellently cooked steak, mate 👍

1 minute ago, Milo said:

That looks like an excellently cooked steak, mate 👍

Cheers mate it was the best I have cooked for sure so will just do it exactly like that from now. Don’t usually cut it before plating but resting it and slicing made the difference I think. 

22 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

This Wetherspoon's food is looking so much better. :P

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1