Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tom27111

The food thread

9 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Got a slow cooker to cook the ham on Christmas Day and it was exceptional, can’t stop thinking about it.

Got a whole chicken in there with Gochujang sauce at the minute.

Slow cookers are fab, we use ours all the time. Chuck it all in and it's done at the end of the day, any meat just falls apart it's so tender, and it costs pence to run. What's not to love? 

4 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Slow cookers are fab, we use ours all the time. Chuck it all in and it's done at the end of the day, any meat just falls apart it's so tender, and it costs pence to run. What's not to love? 

How long should I do the chicken for you recon? Got it on high for 5 hours and it’s getting pretty hot now.

PS whether I get the shits is all in your hands.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Got a slow cooker to cook the ham on Christmas Day and it was exceptional, can’t stop thinking about it.

Got a whole chicken in there with Gochujang sauce at the minute.

Currently got beef stew dumplings sweet potato and parsnips in mine. Smells lovely

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

How long should I do the chicken for you recon? Got it on high for 5 hours and it’s getting pretty hot now.

PS whether I get the shits is all in your hands.

Yeah 5-6 hours on high sounds about right, I'm guessing you won't be eating just yet so I'd probably put it on low or keep warm  after 6 hours until you're ready to stop the sauce from disappearing.

No responsibility accepted lol

On 31/12/2022 at 19:47, Unabomber said:

Nice I have steak tomorrow. We had this tonight.

15659DBB-8AB0-465F-A2C5-4C66DC6A078D.jpeg

Loosely, what we are having this evening. Probably won't be as well presented. Using the last of the cold meats and cheeses, duck spring rolls, a couple of boiled eggs with crusty bread. And especially for @tom27111 a luxury Iceland prawn ring :D

• Like 2

On 31/12/2022 at 19:44, tom27111 said:

Steak tonight. With chips, portobello mushrooms, oven roasted vine tomatoes, onion rings, coleslaw and Dianne sauce.

That's on a wooden board, by the way, I've not just chucked it on the worktops lol

Screenshot_20221231_194256_Gallery.jpg

Mate, you should have said. It wasn't the samosas you needed for new years, it was plates lol lol

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Loosely, what we are having this evening. Probably won't be as well presented. Using the last of the cold meats and cheeses, duck spring rolls, a couple of boiled eggs with crusty bread. And especially for @tom27111 a luxury Iceland prawn ring :D

Yeah it’s always nice to have stuff like that though. 

3 hours ago, urban fox said:

Just found this thread. So hungry now. I love my curries and only had goat once before at an African friends wedding and enjoyed it, although it was done on a bbq

Deffo. Going to find a butchers that sells it and try @Jattdoggrecipe. Looks delicious 

That is the wife's Trinidadian recipe. Might need to revisit it but all curries tend to be similar process. I know the west indian "indians" use their meat masalas which is a blend of curry powder and other spices. The brand used is called "chief" but likely something you can find in a trinidadian/guyanese food market. Watch a few trini or guyanese curry goat recipes on youtube and find common themes. I know the west indian "curry" powder she uses for regular trini curry dishes is called lalahs but others use chief brand.

East indian (south asian)  of course is very similar but we tend (at least my family) use individual spices as opposed to general  mixed ones. Either way it tastes good. Lol

I've eaten cheese and biscuits every day since Xmas.

For the last three days, I've been at the stage that I've only got a couple of cheeses left, so I bought more cheeses to make it more appealing.

I'm on my third pieces of Brie and Port Salut and I've had two Stiltons.

The amount of Parma ham I've had with it is ridiculous. I think I've eaten a whole pig in the last 10 days.

I genuinely don't know how to stop the cycle.

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

I've eaten cheese and biscuits every day since Xmas.

For the last three days, I've been at the stage that I've only got a couple of cheeses left, so I bought more cheeses to make it more appealing.

I'm on my third pieces of Brie and Port Salut and I've had two Stiltons.

The amount of Parma ham I've had with it is ridiculous. I think I've eaten a whole pig in the last 10 days.

I genuinely don't know how to stop the cycle.

Stop eating knob cheese.

• Haha 1

I've got a 2.5kg gammon joint I stupidly bought from Sainsburys before Christmas as it was half price, a good idea at the time but its hanging around like a bad smell....roast it or boil it or any other ideas? It's massive and annoying. 

20 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I've got a 2.5kg gammon joint I stupidly bought from Sainsburys before Christmas as it was half price, a good idea at the time but its hanging around like a bad smell....roast it or boil it or any other ideas? It's massive and annoying. 

In the slow cooker with coke, if it'll fit. Sounds random, but it works IMO and it's pretty hassle-free. 

Then half it and use one for sandwiches, picking at etc. and the rest you can use for a pie or soup which can then be frozen for quick meals. Ham, leek and potato pie is banging.

21 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

In the slow cooker with coke, if it'll fit. Sounds random, but it works IMO and it's pretty hassle-free. 

Then half it and use one for sandwiches, picking at etc. and the rest you can use for a pie or soup which can then be frozen for quick meals. Ham, leek and potato pie is banging.

Cheers, if it doesnt fit i could cut it in half i suppose.

40 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Bought a 1kg gammon joint cheap from Aldi yesterday, usually boil and then finish off in oven but decided to give this a go. Put the joint in the slow cooked and topped with Pepsi and then read the receipe to see what else i need. It says to use NOT DIET coke, however mine was Pepsi zero. Think it will be ok? I'm going to do it anyway and so will update with results. 

Edited by Suzie the Fox

2 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Bought a 1kg gammon joint cheap from Aldi yesterday, usually boil and then finish off in oven but decided to give this a go. Put the joint in the slow cooked and topped with Pepsi and then read the receipe to see what else i need. It says to use NOT DIET coke, however mine was Pepsi zero. Think it will be ok? I'm going to do it anyway and so will update with results. 

Not sure how the artificial sweeteners in diet cola would taste like on the ham, but I don't think it would be an issue really. Let us know how it goes! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Needs the sugar to caramelise surely? Like glazing a ham in honey I'd imagine. 

38 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Not sure how the artificial sweeteners in diet cola would taste like on the ham, but I don't think it would be an issue really. Let us know how it goes! 

Just now, Innovindil said:

Needs the sugar to caramelise surely? Like glazing a ham in honey I'd imagine. 

I'll let you know in a few more hours. I'm not too fussed if it doesn't glaze, although i guess thats the main reason to do it like this. As long as it tastes ok and i don't have to bin it i will be happy

18 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I'll let you know in a few more hours. I'm not too fussed if it doesn't glaze, although i guess thats the main reason to do it like this. As long as it tastes ok and i don't have to bin it i will be happy

Aspartame hame could be a new thing.

In all honesty I don't know how people relentlessly drink diet drinks, coke zero etc. They are just as bad as the sugar loaded ones, according to my dentist anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

In all honesty I don't know how people relentlessly drink diet drinks, coke zero etc. They are just as bad as the sugar loaded ones, according to my dentist anyway. 

Not drank full sugar pop in over a decade it’s just too sweet. I hardly drink any pop tbh but had a bottle left over from Christmas. 

Your dentist could be correct where teeth are concerned but calorie wise it’s a defo no no. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Don't you mean Athpartame,,, according to my dentitht