Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tom27111

The food thread

14 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

I'm absolutely addicted to poached eggs with hot sauce on toast. I normally go for either a sriracha or caribbean-style one with habaneros and scotch bonnets, but I'm seriously thinking about just trying all sorts of different types of eggs and different hot sauces to find out which combinations are the best.

My friend is a big hot sauce fan so I bought him a bottle of Regret for his birthday. 12 million scoville unit oleorisin. It says on the bottle that it shouldn't be consumed directly, rather used as an additive to dishes.

So of course we dabbed it whilst a bit drunk. It was unpleasant. 

2/10 would not recommend. 

1915188628_ScreenShot2022-01-10at11_49_29.png.d1cbf9fe58aabf70dd41ae659071af8d.png

• Haha 1

I switch between Gusto and Hellofresh. I think the recipes in Gusto are much better. Be happy to give someone a code to either if they want a discount on them. Think you can get 50% off. 

I've gone from one, then threaten to cancel, they offer something else, take the offer then cancel, go to Gusto, use them, go to cancel, accept their cancel thing. Now i'm using my spam email on Hellofresh for the time being and then i'll probably use my spam email to use Gusto again. Don't seem to have clocked on. IF you can get them for cheap works out quite well. 

Anybody use any other recipe boxes? 

14 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I recently changed my diet to lose weight (it worked) but my naughty treat that is still protein rich is good quality mature Cheddar cheese.

Just out of interest, do you know if anything you did in particular was helpful?

Heaven knows there's a million things I could do, but it's the low hanging fruit I'm keenest on. Your tip may be to literally eat more low hanging fruit.

Having weighed myself yesterday and found I'm the heaviest I've ever been, something's got to be done!

We've eaten a lot more healthily since we moved, I didn't realise how much convenience food we ate in the UK. Ready made pizza, microwave meals and takeaways were far more accessible. Convenience food doesn't really exist here, so it's either make it yourself or eat out. 

I've learned plenty over the last 12 months, and our favourites, besides the obvious Spanish food, are probably sweet and sour, a Greek chicken souvlaki and a Moroccan lamb tagine with couscous. All very easy to do with things most people have in their cupboards. I've certainly found a new enjoyment in cooking, and it's helped both our waste lines and our bank balance! Oh and I absolutely love my slow cooker, and I still use @Nick's burger recipe to this day :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

We've eaten a lot more healthily since we moved, I didn't realise how much convenience food we ate in the UK. Ready made pizza, microwave meals and takeaways were far more accessible. Convenience food doesn't really exist here, so it's either make it yourself or eat out. 

I've learned plenty over the last 12 months, and our favourites, besides the obvious Spanish food, are probably sweet and sour, a Greek chicken souvlaki and a Moroccan lamb tagine with couscous. All very easy to do with things most people have in their cupboards. I've certainly found a new enjoyment in cooking, and it's helped both our waste lines and our bank balance! Oh and I absolutely love my slow cooker, and I still use @Nick's burger recipe to this day :)

It’s a keeper!

If you’re good I’ll share my chicken chilli reverie with you later in the year!

18 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I recently changed my diet to lose weight (it worked) but my naughty treat that is still protein rich is good quality mature Cheddar cheese.

I’ve continued to eat a bit of cheese over the last 13 months and I’ve been on a self imposed strict food intake whilst running 15-20 miles a week and gym 4 days a week…

So I’m just going to brag a bit now as I think I’ve earnt the right…

I’ve lost 17kg.

I look like Tom Hanks in Big though and have no clothes that fit at all. Which is a bastard.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Nick said:

I’ve continued to eat a bit of cheese over the last 13 months and I’ve been on a self imposed strict food intake whilst running 15-20 miles a week and gym 4 days a week…

So I’m just going to brag a bit now as I think I’ve earnt the right…

I’ve lost 17kg.

I look like Tom Hanks in Big though and have no clothes that fit at all. Which is a bastard.

Well done...Finding right Clothes is a lot easier than Losing 17kg..

• Thanks 1

Tonight, I'm making Mexican inspired Chicken burgers.

Chicken breasts, marinated in a homemade fajita style seasoning, served on a brioche bun, with lettuce, onion, sour cream, guacamole and salsa. Sliced Mexicana spicy cheese, jalapeños and a few tortilla chips also inside the bun.

Homemade slaw, corn on the cob and garlic & chilli potato wedges 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, SystonFox said:

Went miller and Carter last night and had the fillet with chunky chips and beef dripping sauce. WOW

Bloody pay for it though.

It's owned by M&B, who I used to work for.

Essentially, they buy half decent steaks, but everything else is chucked in a fryer or a microwave.

Only ever went there when I had 40% staff discount. Would never pay full price for it.

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Bloody pay for it though.

It's owned by M&B, who I used to work for.

Essentially, they buy half decent steaks, but everything else is chucked in a fryer or a microwave.

Only ever went there when I had 40% staff discount. Would never pay full price for it.

And yet there’s people who say nAnDoS is pricy!!!!

• 1 month later...

Tonight I'm going to try and make some Chicken Shawarma Kebabs, served in naan bread.

Chicken is currently marinating in a blend of herbs and spices in the fridge, as is my red cabbage in olive oil, white wine vinegar and lemon juice.

Got some of those massive naan breads that you can get in a decent supermarket, the closest I've found to authentic Indian restaurant quality ones.

Topped with lettuce, onion, tomato, cucumber.

Got a load of the whole pickled green chillies to chuck on it, plus some chilli sauce and some yoghurt and mint sauce as well.

Looking forward to this!