Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

Little things to help the environment

10 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

The case against has been presented:

1) I'll be a pain in the arse about it and get stressed if anyone walks on it (true)

2) Our son is terrified of all insects (also true)

I'm up against it

Get some lavender - bees love it and its more conventional! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

The case against has been presented:

1) I'll be a pain in the arse about it and get stressed if anyone walks on it (true)

2) Our son is terrified of all insects (also true)

I'm up against it

1) the work will be worth it

2) he’s got to got over his fear at some point, this sounds like the perfect way to do it 

case closed thanks see you next time 

10 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Vote the Tories out :)

TBH (and this is damning with the very faintest of praise) the Tories are one of the very, very few (perhaps the only) conservative government in the world taking this single greatest threat to human civilisation at the present time with anything approaching the seriousness it deserves.

Of course, it may all be lip service, but...

I've also decided to leave some of my back lawn un-mowed. I've bought a few wildflower bombs to throw down there too. I've got a load of forget-me-nots in a planter down one side of the garden and I genuinely love seeing bees in there.

I'm going to mow the majority though for 2 reasons, 1 to give us a bit of cut grass we can comfortably sit out on this summer, but the main reason being I want the neighbours to know it's intentionally overgrown and not out of laziness on my part!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

I've also decided to leave some of my back lawn un-mowed. I've bought a few wildflower bombs to throw down there too. I've got a load of forget-me-nots in a planter down one side of the garden and I genuinely love seeing bees in there.

I'm going to mow the majority though for 2 reasons, 1 to give us a bit of cut grass we can comfortably sit out on this summer, but the main reason being I want the neighbours to know it's intentionally overgrown and not out of laziness on my part!

This is how my father in law has it - it looks great! 

26 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Killing a load of people, then yourself, is probably the absolute biggest thing you could do, technically lol

Just don’t assume that argument would stand up  in court :P

Edited by Wolfox
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

I’ll bite, why? Assuming you are referring to Thomas, he wasn’t that well regarded was he?

I am referring to him, yeah.

And he wasn't well regarded, but it seems that a great many people seem bound and determined to take his viewpoints about "too many people for the Earth" and use them to justify general population reduction at best and racist eugenics at worst.

Perhaps that isn't his fault...but I have no time for the viewpoint that helping the environment has to mean fewer people.

Edit: to say nothing of the fact that his conclusions have been empirically rejected within science, though people try to cling to them

Edited by leicsmac

12 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I am referring to him, yeah.

And he wasn't well regarded, but it seems that a great many people seem bound and determined to take his viewpoints about "too many people for the Earth" and use them to justify general population reduction at best and racist eugenics at worst.

Perhaps that isn't his fault...but I have no time for the viewpoint that helping the environment has to mean fewer people.

Edit: to say nothing of the fact that his conclusions have been empirically rejected within science, though people try to cling to them

Yes, but I am not a fan of damning figures in history by contemporary standards, it’s tantamount to intellectual virtue signalling.

This does not mean historic figures who are deemed wrong by more modern judgements should be celebrated, but they should be understood and serve as education.

6 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes, but I am not a fan of damning figures in history by contemporary standards, it’s tantamount to intellectual virtue signalling.

This does not mean historic figures who are deemed wrong by more modern judgements should be celebrated, but they should be understood and serve as education.

Personally I think it's entirely OK to judge historical figures by contemporary standards and I don't really know why some people think it's "not cricket" to do so. It shows that we have progressed.

Do agree with the second sentence, perhaps some folks should understand that education in this matter a little better.

Anyhow, on topic: vote for the right people.

11 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Personally I think it's entirely OK to judge historical figures by contemporary standards and I don't really know why some people think it's "not cricket" to do so. It shows that we have progressed.

Do agree with the second sentence, perhaps some folks should understand that education in this matter a little better.

Anyhow, on topic: vote for the right people.

Suppose it depends if you think it morally acceptable to gauge those with less information than you by the same metics you are fortunate enough to have access too. I think the word judge is not the right word, there is learning not judgement required.

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Back on topic, have booked to have our gas supply removed. :scarf:
Take that Vlad. :angry:

So you're going to be mainly using fossil fuels for your electricity, then? Unless you've got direct nuclear or solar access.