Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

36 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Bran Cover is my tip to have a big impact with U23s next season.

Got all the technical ability and stature to make it, just whether he wants it enough ala Tavares IMO

36 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Where’s he play? 

Creative midfielder CM/ACM

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Got all the technical ability and stature to make it, just whether he wants it enough ala Tavares IMO

Creative midfielder CM/ACM

@Ric FlairI believe @Lesta2014was referring to Logan Briggs!!!

I am sure it was Cover who came on in a U23s televised game and scored 2 late goals as if he was playing in a training ground practice, finished the chances with aplomb. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

@Ric FlairI believe @Lesta2014was referring to Logan Briggs!!!

I am sure it was Cover who came on in a U23s televised game and scored 2 late goals as if he was playing in a training ground practice, finished the chances with aplomb. 

Yes I've replied to two posts at once. Cover and Briggs although different in size play similar positions. Can play CM or ACM.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Wasn't the original reason that there was U23 rules because of contract issues? Since clubs were tying down their 18-year-olds to 5 year contracts, they had to do something with those over 21s who hadn't taken off... I guess this move might somewhat encourage them to find appropriate moves for them, or just get clubs to buy out their contracts so they can move on with their careers.

Right now, the rules for the Academy teams playing in the League Trophy is U21 with a possibility of 5 overage players (but only two of these players can have had over 40 first team appearances). I wonder if they might just bring it into line with that?

My personal preference would be 6 overage players, allowing the semblance of the Premier League 2 becoming more of a "Reserve League", which I think would better serve player development. (I will now hop off my soapbox.)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Good to hear this...!   

Ive Said many times on this forum over the past few years that keeping 22/23 year olds in the system who were never going to make it was simply clogging up the pathway for talented younger players who needed game time....which is exactlly what happened at LCFC under Beaglehole.

It was a well intended concept by the FA to try to reduce the number of players who were falling out of the system at an early age but in reality, it just served to slow the development of young talent at the expense of keeping old players playing. 

What is really striking about the post-Beaglehole era is how little this change will now affect us!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Still no news on Will Alves signing a pro deal here.....

need to get it done! Hope we see him feature a bit in pre season. 

Surprised teams like Dortmund aren't sniffing around him. 

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Genuinely can't believe we didn't have something ready to go on the day he turned 17. Very weird.

Anyone in the know have any updates? 

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

21 minutes ago, Jabfox said:

need to get it done! Hope we see him feature a bit in pre season. 

Surprised teams like Dortmund aren't sniffing around him. 

You'd think they'd have it done before pre-season training. I guess his agent is holding out for a big deal, and might want a "clear path" outlined. But it's not like he can go on loan at 17.

• Like 1

Just now, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

You'd think they'd have it done before pre-season training. I guess his agent is holding out for a big deal, and might want a "clear path" outlined. But it's not like he can go on loan at 17.

I'm led to believe the clear path was mapped out this time last year and Rudkin had got involved to ensure Alves and his family were aware just how much the club value him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm led to believe the clear path was mapped out this time last year and Rudkin had got involved to ensure Alves and his family were aware just how much the club value him.

What is the top dollar offer we have ever given a 17-year-old? Do you know? I am just wondering what is "reasonable" for someone like Alves. I wonder how those contracts from earlier in the season affect things. I know we offered Tavares something ridiculous to stay.

1 minute ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

What is the top dollar offer we have ever given a 17-year-old? Do you know? I am just wondering what is "reasonable" for someone like Alves. I wonder how those contracts from earlier in the season affect things. I know we offered Tavares something ridiculous to stay.

We can only offer a 3 year contract on the 1st pro deal aged 17 and then 5+ years when they turn 18. So it's about getting him to sign that first deal and then look to increase even further next summer. There are 17 year olds being paid staggering money already, wouldn't surprise me if we'd offer a talent such as his £10k a week or more straight off the bat.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Burbagefox89 said:

Slightly in the know on this one but there’s no chance Will Alves will be leaving and a deal has already been agreed. He’s a Leicester fan and has a well grounded support network around him. Typical club just not releasing the news

I'd like to think it's the club playing down any hype, but more likely the news is sat in someones "deleted" folder on outlook and won't be raised until the next departmental meeting :D

47 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We can only offer a 3 year contract on the 1st pro deal aged 17 and then 5+ years when they turn 18. So it's about getting him to sign that first deal and then look to increase even further next summer. There are 17 year olds being paid staggering money already, wouldn't surprise me if we'd offer a talent such as his £10k a week or more straight off the bat.

I think this probably also explains why there are rumours about interest in Ben Nelson

Probably signed a “standard” 3 year pro deal and now we are trying to get him on a proper long term contract but his agent is trying to get a bit more out of us and making sure there is a plan/pathway for him etc.

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Burbagefox89 said:

Slightly in the know on this one but there’s no chance Will Alves will be leaving and a deal has already been agreed. He’s a Leicester fan and has a well grounded support network around him. Typical club just not releasing the news

:wub:

Insane we dint give any minutes to teenagers in the league last season. Getting WMM 30 minutes here or there at the end of the season would have put him in the shop window for a good loan. Alves and Braybrooke should benefit from 9 subs next season when the u21s/18s aren't playing on the same days as the first team.

• Like 1