Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Development/Youth Squads 2022/2023 Thread - U18/U21

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Wright is going to impress this pre-season but the dilemma will be he'd have to take a spot in the 25 man squad which can't see that being easy.

I think this will be like Knight's extension, except Wright will get a chance to impress. I think it will be first team or sold off.

As far as a spot on the first team goes, I think that depends more on signings than outgoings. I think players are going to be told to find a club or not be listed in the 25-man squad, just like with Mendy last year. This would be most effective with Vesty, Mendy (if he is not in the gaffer's plans), and Armartey (ditto), who have their eyes on the World Cup. (I also wonder what is going in Ward's mind: Will he want to be playing regularly before the WC?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lesta2014 said:

McAteer saying it was eye opener on loan and didn’t realise how tough it be, very honest of him and may explain why he didn’t play so much? Comes across well in his interview on the website and realistic in his targets. 

.. not ever sure where his best position is!!!

Play him at LB and he is a person who sees  an opening and goes for it, all the way. He is unpredictable in games and that is mostly a good thing, he can make things happen when there isn't really an opportunity available. 

As for a fixed position, it his hard to pin him down into a role to say "he excels here".

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-transfer-wakeling-released-7200168

Released striker sends message to Leicester City following 'most challenging' season
The 20-year-old was one of six players named on the club's released list last Friday, two years after he was plucked from non-league following his release by West Brom

ByJordan Blackwell
12:53, 13 JUN 2022

Released striker Jake Wakeling has thanked Leicester City for taking a chance on him as he leaves the club following the “most challenging” season of his career.

Wakeling was named as one of six professionals who will be let go by City at the end of their contracts this month, with third-choice goalkeeper Eldin Jakupovic heading the list that was published last Friday.

It ends two years at City for Wakeling, who was spotted playing in non-league and given a chance at the club. He impressed for City’s Under-23s, and then for the second half of last term, he went on loan to League Two side Barrow.

But his first spell in the senior set-up of an EFL club did not go to plan. He only played four times, the 20-year-old’s last appearance coming in February. For the final nine games of the campaign, he did not even get into the Barrow matchday squad.

Writing on social media after his release, Wakeling said: “Had time to reflect on my season, by far the most challenging on and off the pitch. Just want to say a massive thank you to everyone at LCFC for the time I spent there.

“Grateful for the opportunity, taking me from non-league and giving me an opportunity to be a part of the club. Time to move on and be ready for the next part of the journey, still got a lot to prove and I’m hungrier than ever.”

Released by West Brom in 2020, Wakeling enjoyed a free-scoring period in non-league for Alvechurch that earned him a trial period, and subsequent contract, at City. His path prompted comparisons with Alan Smith, the England striker turned Sky Sports co-commentator who also joined City from the Worcestershire club back in the 1980s.

Wakeling finished his first season at City with 10 goals in 18 appearances for the Under-23s, putting him at the top of the development squad’s scoring charts. He scored three in 12 for City in the first half of last season before getting his chance at Barrow.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Surprised he managed to get a Championship club

They've lost about 15 players this summer so he'll be cover and they're after Cody Drameh for starting right back. I'm with you though, feels League 1 at best!

18 minutes ago, AjcW said:

They've lost about 15 players this summer so he'll be cover and they're after Cody Drameh for starting right back. I'm with you though, feels League 1 at best!

3 minutes ago, Jabfox said:

His agents played a blinder. 

Gareth will be desperate to get there to link up with VDC on the right hand side ! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

Fair play to VDC's agent there. He's played a blinder.

...he has at times shown good moments when going forward!!!

Can beat a man and has good feet when on the front foot. His defensive ability is not what it should be, but he can improve with regular games and a coach willing to work with him. Not sure if a Wingback role would suit, not sure he has the engine for that, but as a FB he loves to go forward. If you could develop his defensive side, there is a potential for a good player.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We cannot sign overseas players until they are 18, pure horse muck.

We can. They just have to stay put until they’re 18. A very long loan essentially. 

• Like 1

On 13/06/2022 at 16:38, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-transfer-wakeling-released-7200168

Released striker sends message to Leicester City following 'most challenging' season
The 20-year-old was one of six players named on the club's released list last Friday, two years after he was plucked from non-league following his release by West Brom

ByJordan Blackwell
12:53, 13 JUN 2022

Released striker Jake Wakeling has thanked Leicester City for taking a chance on him as he leaves the club following the “most challenging” season of his career.

Wakeling was named as one of six professionals who will be let go by City at the end of their contracts this month, with third-choice goalkeeper Eldin Jakupovic heading the list that was published last Friday.

It ends two years at City for Wakeling, who was spotted playing in non-league and given a chance at the club. He impressed for City’s Under-23s, and then for the second half of last term, he went on loan to League Two side Barrow.

But his first spell in the senior set-up of an EFL club did not go to plan. He only played four times, the 20-year-old’s last appearance coming in February. For the final nine games of the campaign, he did not even get into the Barrow matchday squad.

Writing on social media after his release, Wakeling said: “Had time to reflect on my season, by far the most challenging on and off the pitch. Just want to say a massive thank you to everyone at LCFC for the time I spent there.

“Grateful for the opportunity, taking me from non-league and giving me an opportunity to be a part of the club. Time to move on and be ready for the next part of the journey, still got a lot to prove and I’m hungrier than ever.”

Released by West Brom in 2020, Wakeling enjoyed a free-scoring period in non-league for Alvechurch that earned him a trial period, and subsequent contract, at City. His path prompted comparisons with Alan Smith, the England striker turned Sky Sports co-commentator who also joined City from the Worcestershire club back in the 1980s.

Wakeling finished his first season at City with 10 goals in 18 appearances for the Under-23s, putting him at the top of the development squad’s scoring charts. He scored three in 12 for City in the first half of last season before getting his chance at Barrow.

I can't stand these click bait titles ffs, imagine getting paid to do nothing 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

England Under 19s at their Euros this week - no Leicester players in squad. However there is a Leicester lad. 

Keeper released by us in 2017. Picked up by Burton and then signed by Chelsea 

Named?