Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Broadband/TV Package

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Just looked at this pal, I can only get 4G but the speeds still look like they rival/better my BT Fibre 100 Halo. My only question which you might not be able to answer is, I use TP Link adapters to take my WiFi connection from my Halo router in the house via the electric circuit (plugs) and extend it to an outhouse on the same electric circuit 20 meters down the garden and it works faultlessly. Not sure if there'd be any reason why this wouldn't work for a 4G hub rather than a fibre broadband router?

Hmmm wouldn’t like to say. From what you’ve said there, in theory, no reason why it wouldn’t work I reckon but I’m no network engineer. 

Interesting regarding the 4G speeds. What sort of uploads are you looking at on 4G?

43 minutes ago, Manini said:

Hmmm wouldn’t like to say. From what you’ve said there, in theory, no reason why it wouldn’t work I reckon but I’m no network engineer. 

Interesting regarding the 4G speeds. What sort of uploads are you looking at on 4G?

Supposedly up to 100mb

Screenshot_20220921-224555_Chrome.jpg

On 16/09/2022 at 10:57, Manini said:

If you’re in a good 5G area, I’d recommend 3’s 5G hub. £24 a month, one month rolling contract. We’ve got a shedload of devices connected in our gaff and we get 250mb upload without breaking a sweat. 

PLUS it’s not a wired connection so no engineer/openreach bollocks. Just plug and play you are literally online in 2 minutes from getting it out the box. 

But is this just an introductory offer to new customers, and doubled in subsequent years (which is what Virgin has done to us)?

7 hours ago, deep blue said:

But is this just an introductory offer to new customers, and doubled in subsequent years (which is what Virgin has done to us)?

No I don’t think so. I’m on a one month rolling contract so there’s no minimum term or anything like that and I can leave anytime on 30 days notice. I think if you’re willing to tie yourself in for two years you can get it for £10 a month for 6 months, then £20 a month thereafter.

BT in the end have done me what I consider a very good deal and they aren't usually a company that goes out their way to retain existing customers.

I was previously paying £43.99 a month for Fibre 100 broadband and then whatever TV package. Now I'm paying about £39 a month and they've thrown in the bog standard TV package, free Netflix and NowTV which has saved me a further £15 a month on my existing subscriptions.

So overall I'm about £35 a month better off. 

I couldn't risk an inferior speed of broadband for the scouting network of left footed wingers I run in my outhouse.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Our current Virgin package is £89 for premium tv, with multi room, and sports channels. 600mb broadband and a sim card. Due to increase to £147 next week. We've cancelled to return to Sky. Initially, Virgin offered to reduce their deal to £107. After we've cancelled, they call/email etc every couple of days to retain us. Today's offer is current Volt multi room package, as we currently have plus Netflix and 1gb broadband for £72

Someone posted that it was definitely worth cancelling and waiting for them to offer a better deal. I concur.

We're still going back to Sky, but I'm quite impressed with the Virgin offer. And I am tempted, financially it would make more sense, but we did prefer the Sky set up.

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Our current Virgin package is £89 for premium tv, with multi room, and sports channels. 600mb broadband and a sim card. Due to increase to £147 next week. We've cancelled to return to Sky. Initially, Virgin offered to reduce their deal to £107. After we've cancelled, they call/email etc every couple of days to retain us. Today's offer is current Volt multi room package, as we currently have plus Netflix and 1gb broadband for £72

Someone posted that it was definitely worth cancelling and waiting for them to offer a better deal. I concur.

We're still going back to Sky, but I'm quite impressed with the Virgin offer. And I am tempted, financially it would make more sense, but we did prefer the Sky set up.

Similar to you, we had to cancel Virgin to get an acceptable offer.

That was until the next bill.

The 'deal' we had been offered hadn't materialised.

At the time I had asked for, and received, email confirmation of the offer they had made so called them back to see what was going on. Eventually spoke to a manager who denied I would have received such an email!

I asked him for his email address so I could forward it to him. He hung up!

32 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Similar to you, we had to cancel Virgin to get an acceptable offer.

That was until the next bill.

The 'deal' we had been offered hadn't materialised.

At the time I had asked for, and received, email confirmation of the offer they had made so called them back to see what was going on. Eventually spoke to a manager who denied I would have received such an email!

I asked him for his email address so I could forward it to him. He hung up!

Wow! That's shocking.

I've had the new deal offer via text and email.  The last Sky person I spoke to offered another £2 off, I've not had that in writing, so not holding my breath there.

Did you get it sorted?

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

Wow! That's shocking.

I've had the new deal offer via text and email.  The last Sky person I spoke to offered another £2 off, I've not had that in writing, so not holding my breath there.

Did you get it sorted?

Yes thanks, after yet another call.

I guess they will be putting the prices up again soon, so another call will be necessary. I'm not calling retentions first next time however, it'll be straight to cancellations. if a good offer is then made I'll consider it but I have no qualms about moving to another isp.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2022 at 14:32, Free Falling Foxes said:

Yes thanks, after yet another call.

I guess they will be putting the prices up again soon, so another call will be necessary. I'm not calling retentions first next time however, it'll be straight to cancellations. if a good offer is then made I'll consider it but I have no qualms about moving to another isp.

Well it's happened to my father in law. He's just had a letter from Virgin about a price increase, and it's a whopper.

He was paying 29.99 for BB an phone. It is going up to £63/month!

We'll cancel of course and await the call back offering a deal to stay -  as has happened every year for yonks.

These Companies just go out of their way to make life more difficult for you than is necessary.

Despite me cancelling our Virgin contract, all those retention calls and emails and an email received to confirm disconnection on 8th Dec. We've received a bill for £150 for their services for 9th Dec to 8th Jan.

They've advised our account isn't closed due to this pending payment. I failed to make her understand we're not paying £150 for services we have cancelled and where they have confirmed the disconnection.

26 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

These Companies just go out of their way to make life more difficult for you than is necessary.

Despite me cancelling our Virgin contract, all those retention calls and emails and an email received to confirm disconnection on 8th Dec. We've received a bill for £150 for their services for 9th Dec to 8th Jan.

They've advised our account isn't closed due to this pending payment. I failed to make her understand we're not paying £150 for services we have cancelled and where they have confirmed the disconnection.

I helped someone in a similar position 3 or 4 years ago. They ordered Virgin TV, phone & BB but cancelled before installation. All appeared straight forward but no, despite having no services and not even any Virgin equipment, DD's started to be taken from her account.

Calls failed to resolve it so I supported her to register and complain through this: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/CommunityHubForums

I have to say they sorted it quite quickly in fact, I would say I was impressed. Give it a try, they may help you too.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

Reminds me of when I'd just got married and things were difficult financially MrsG signed up to sell Avon cosmetics from home and door to door. They kept sending samples and charging us for them. we finally decided they'd gone too far when they sent this very large box of different foundation creams and wanted £30  for them which was more than she was earning.

She contacted them and said we were packing it in and didn't want the samples and as they were sent with out our asking if they wanted them to come and collect them as we didn't want to pay the postage.

They sent out all sorts of threatening letters so I called them and they said if they weren't returned within the week they'd park a Debt Collecting Van outside our house. I told them to go ahead and we would inform all our previous customers and neighbours what a shitty company they were. 

We never heard from them again. :P

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

My Virgin runs out at start Feb so thanks for the advice, best ring up just before New Year to try and cancel it. I don't mind paying £90 a month or so, but anything over that becomes a sting, £100+ is a big no no. Currently got it in 2 rooms, 500meg internet, BT sports & movies included, o2 unlimited sim and pay £89 a month.

Got this deal but 1GB broadband for 74quid a month 

• Thanks 1

When we moved into our new build got a deal from Virgin for £29.99pm for basic TV, 250mbps Fibre to premises and free weekend calls (grant for a phone we do t have) and I got double data on my O2 plan. Was a no brainier for me at the time. However, their hub is a pile of junk. BTs equipment is so much better. 

• 2 months later...

Any Virgin Media customers on here?

Check your in boxes.

From April next year, they are going to do the same has other providers and put prices up each April by 3.9% plus inflation.

Customers have until the 24th of March THIS YEAR to cancel their package if they wish, without penalty charge.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

I have Sky for broadband and TV. The TV includes sky sports, bt sports all HD. This was £82 a month which I thought was ok. However now it’s gone up to £107 which is a bit of a joke. I don’t want to cancel but obviously want a better deal. Is it best just to call up and threaten to cancel?

4 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I have Sky for broadband and TV. The TV includes sky sports, bt sports all HD. This was £82 a month which I thought was ok. However now it’s gone up to £107 which is a bit of a joke. I don’t want to cancel but obviously want a better deal. Is it best just to call up and threaten to cancel?

Cancel unless they come close to your curent deal....they will come crawling back within 30 days, probably..

4 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Cancel unless they come close to your curent deal....they will come crawling back within 30 days, probably..

I was under the same situation December last year - I cancelled - they called my bluff and didn't attempt to call me. BUT - I have zero regret. I do not miss it and often now wish I had cancelled earlier - Netflix and Prime is all I really need - alongside some kind people on here who occasionally PM me a very interesting Link. Let's face it - how often are Leicester on TV? I have a season ticket and try and also go to some away games - the rest of the time I rely on those kind hearted folks. Sky is a complete rip off unless you are able to watch something on there for at least 10 hours a week. Which then equivalates to around £2.31 an hour (based on £100 a month)

In my opinion anything more than that is not worth it. I probably watched around 2-4 hours a week max.

So - Cancel - even if they don't come crawling back - you will perhaps realise that you don't need it and save yourself a pretty penny. If not - just go back to them as a new customer and you will get a better deal anyways - win-win