Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ginger_Filbert

Troubles In Leicester

We're in safe hands the Mayor has it all under control and is fully aware.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/city-mayor-baffled-violence-peaceful-7601506

City mayor 'baffled' by violence in 'peaceful' Leicester
He said 'hopefully' Saturday's events would not be repeated

ByAsha Patel
13:41, 19 SEP 2022

A heavy police presence remains at Belgrave Road, Leicester (Image: Corey Bedford)

Sir Peter Soulsby has said he is "baffled" by the ongoing violence in Leicester which has seen several nights of disorder in the east of the city. The city mayor told BBC Radio 4 that Leicester was normally "very peaceful".

Large-scale disruption broke out on Saturday, with huge crowds of masked men seen taking to the streets in what the police called an "unplanned protest". Speaking on the radio station's Today programme, Sir Peter said "very distorted social stuff" had fuelled the trouble, as well as people coming from outside the city.

Leicester's political leader told the BBC there would "hopefully" not be a repeat of Saturday's events, which saw the worst violence so far in a series of nights of disruption. The on-street confrontations initially broke out following a cricket match on Sunday, August 28. Tensions between limited sections of Hindu and Muslim communities have been highlighted by the disorder.

The cricket match, while not a direct cause of the tension, was reported to be a "catalyst" which brought ongoing tensions to a head, Temporary Assistant Chief Constable Adam Streets has said previously.

Praising the response of Leicestershire Police to the violence at the weekend, Sir Peter said: “The way in which they dealt with things [...] was very effective indeed, and hopefully will have made sure we don’t get a repeat of what happened on Saturday.

“I have talked to a lot of community leaders and they are doing what they can to bring Leicester to normal, because in Leicester, 'normal' is very good relations between people of different faiths. They and I, while being baffled by it, are also very disturbed by it, but I think we are all very confident Leicester is resilient enough to be able to return to normal relations very soon.”

However, some key people in the city said they believed the issues at the heart of the disorder had not been properly addressed. A new statement, shared by the Leicester-based Federation of Muslim Organisations and signed by a number of local councillors, alleged there had been "a number of failures" to tackle what it described as a "rise in racism and extreme ideology".

Police arrested 15 people on Sunday night, September 18, who had been gathering in North Evington. The force said an ongoing policing operation in the east of the city continued. Faith groups and community organisations have continued to call for calm, with many highlighting the many years of community cohesion in the city.

No worries all, Soulsby is here to play dumb and pretend it's just a blip. In general, the Hindu and Muslim populations of Leicester get along, there's an undertone always due to factors going back many years but by and large it's all good.

I work in an environment with a large Gujarati Muslim community presence, in the last few years I've learnt a lot about the religion and also, crucially, cultural aspects.

What we (the wider population) sometimes see as Islamic factors are cultural. The set-up marriages, shame for being seen with outsiders etc.

I don't know who is responsible for instigating the recent troubles, I believe there are dickheads on both sides, as is often the case in disputes such as these.

What I would say is, the Muslim community will come together as they always do because they see each other as brothers even if born on the other side of the world, they will literally identify more with a guy in Siberia who claims to follow Islam rather than a non-muslim that were born in the same hospital and grew up on the same streets.

IMO, this doesn't suggest good things for the Hindu community of Leicester. And when it will, inevitably, spread to the other towns and cities in England where Hindus are in an extreme minority, I can see things getting very serious.

I feel for the police because they are frightened to death to wade in (as is probably required, as several of us would have experienced at football) but the wrong photograph gets taken and published then they are in the shit.

Community leaders are a myth and a joke, the youth will not listen to them, they will carry on and unfortunately, unless the Authorities clamp down on this very, very quickly, somebody will be killed and then who knows what will happen?

• Like 1

My Mum lives where the violence is and is worried since she is Muslim. Theres also worries she could have breast cancer and Rodgers is still our manager I hate life atm. This has been going on for a while now with friends of friends being swarmed by mobs and being beaten. The fact the media only caught on now is suprising. Everyone I knew thought there was a media black out surrounding the issue. 

Edited by Fightforever

4 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

People on twitter and Muslim friends saying that Muslims from Birmingham and other parts of the UK are now trying to take part. 

Muslims from Birmingham were the ones who rioted here two weeks ago. Hindus came from other areas at the weekend too.

9 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

My Mum lives where the violence is and is worried since she is Muslim. Theres also worries she could have breast cancer and Rodgers is still our manager I hate life atm. This has been going on for a while now with friends of friends being swarmed by mobs and being beaten. The fact the media only caught on now is suprising. Everyone I knew thought there was a media black out surrounding the issue. 

I feel for you mate with the worries you have, I hope your mother is ok. With regards to the media, it is two-fold. They don't want to push it too much because more people will find out and get involved and it exacerbates events. Secondly, it hurts the fantastic, multi-cultural success story that Leicester supposedly is. I know I will get pelters for that from some on here but I'll call it how I see it.

Edited by Lcfcbl
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

Are you saying this has nothing to do with Religion?

At first it was more to do with India vs Pakistan but now its more a Hindu vs Islam issue.

From what I have been told by Muslim friends (granted its only one side of the story) the more recent Indian arrivals to the UK over the past 5 or so years never integrated into UK society at all and hold extreme views on how Muslims should be treated I was told they started the fighting with Muslims since in India attacking Muslims is much more common and accepted.

The Indians that have been here for a while and have integrated aren't part of this mess.

Edited by Fightforever
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

It's got nothing to do with cricket. 

Religious tensions have been going on for months, years even. 

Modi, Indian PM, is very much against any Muslims living in India. Pakistan have their own political issues too which shouldn't go unnoticed. Its highly emotive time for politics in these countries. It seems to have filtered into UK and reached a flash point in last couple of days. 

They're extremists causing these issues though. On both sides. It's harrowing and unsettling :(

But they are British and living in Britain?

22 minutes ago, Lcfcbl said:

I feel for you mate with the worries you have, I hope your mother is ok. With regards to the media, it is two-fold. They don't want to push it too much because more people will find out and get involved and it exacerbates events. Secondly, it hurts the fantastic, multi-cultural success story that Leicester supposedly is. I know I will get pelters for that from some on here but I'll call it how I see it.

I understand to an extent but it annoys me because whenever I talk to English friends about what's happening they seem to be shocked there is any fighting at all.

It might be a "multi-cultural city" but honestly the fact that a fourm about Leicester only made a thread about it now when this fighting was common knowledge amongst minorities in the city for months shows that there still is a huge divide between the English people living here and the Minorities.

They are like seperate worlds that only meet when we have to go work then everyone goes home to their own communities and no one has any idea about what is happening in their own city because it is ultimately still mostly divided.

I mean look at LCFC games. Even though the city is half BAME barely any BAME people come to games. There is a huge divide and people act like it doesn't exist when it clearly does.

Edited by Fightforever
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

I understand to an extent but it annoys me because whenever I talk to English friends about what's happening they seem to be shocked there is any fighting at all.

It might be a "multi-cultural city" but honestly the fact that a fourm about Leicester only made a thread about it now when this fighting was common knowledge amongst minorities in the city for months shows that there still is a huge divide between the English people living here and the Minorities.

They are like seperate worlds that only meet when we have to go work then everyone goes home to their own communities and no one has any idea about what is happening in their own city because it is ultimately still mostly divided.

I mean look at LCFC games. Even though the city is half BAME barely any BAME people come to games. There is a huge divide and people act like it doesn't exist when it clearly does.

and you blame?

2 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

I understand you mate, first thing I would ask is, were you born in England? Several of my friends, disproportionately from Muslim backgrounds will not refer to themselves as English, probably for multiple reasons. I always take issue with that and argue that you are as English as me.

In regards to the forum, I would argue there is a distinct left-leaning bias on here and people are uncomfortable to discuss matters such as these because it doesn't suit the multi-cultural success story we hear about our city.

Personally, I believe it's counter productive to ignore issues when they arise such as these.

The country and Leicester, in particular, is getting more diverse by the day. I don't think it is an uncomfortable experience for BAME members of the community to go to a game but that's easy for me to say, I suppose.

Have you had a bad experience?

6 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

I agree with you, but I’m not sure how to remedy closed communities from any side. If it’s not being reported in the media, I am unsure as to how people are supposed to know these troubles either. Only as witnesses or what we’ve been told by others, which as has been said prior to my comments, is a dangerous game on the basis of false rumours.

15 minutes ago, Lcfcbl said:

I understand you mate, first thing I would ask is, were you born in England? Several of my friends, disproportionately from Muslim backgrounds will not refer to themselves as English, probably for multiple reasons. I always take issue with that and argue that you are as English as me.

In regards to the forum, I would argue there is a distinct left-leaning bias on here and people are uncomfortable to discuss matters such as these because it doesn't suit the multi-cultural success story we hear about our city.

Personally, I believe it's counter productive to ignore issues when they arise such as these.

The country and Leicester, in particular, is getting more diverse by the day. I don't think it is an uncomfortable experience for BAME members of the community to go to a game but that's easy for me to say, I suppose.

Have you had a bad experience?

No I was born here to Muslim Kosovar parents. I am obviously British and I look very European compared to the rest of my family who look a lot more like middle Easterners (Strange considering Kosovo is a European country but Rita Ora looks pretty different to what you would call a typical European so I guess the phenotype does exist). I grew up in the area around East park road and I never actually felt uncomfortable at a Leicester game for what it's worth my brother looks very middle eastern (curly black hair, darker complexion compared to me and hairy af) and he doesn't have any trouble at games either. I mean nephew did hear a bigoted fan call Victor Moses the N word at the FA cup quarter final in 2018 but baring that no racial issues have ever occured as far as I know. It's more a cultural divide. Bar one all my BAME friends don't support LCFC since the cultural influence to support Leicester mainly comes from the English in the city who are mostly segregated from the BAME in the city. 

Edited by Fightforever

48 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

Are you saying this has nothing to do with Religion?

You came out saying it was purely linked to religion (waits for post response which says, well no I didn’t because I just said religion blah blah bullshit). 

Religion, for these extremist plays very little part apart from the chanting of a few religious slogans. They are known to attack those of the same faith (it will happen if they can’t cause the uprising) as well indiscriminately attack others of other and non faith. 

So yeah, religion is certainly not the main issue here. Perhaps add some context

33 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

There was a riot in Leicester two weeks ago ?

Riot, possibly no and I apologise for that language. Fact, van loads of men came from Birmingham rampaging around the streets smashing cars and houses. Videos available on the internet, including an attempted stabbing clear as day.

7 minutes ago, Lcfcbl said:

Riot, possibly no and I apologise for that language. Fact, van loads of men came from Birmingham rampaging around the streets smashing cars and houses. Videos available on the internet, including an attempted stabbing clear as day.

Do you have a link to this video? I have heard literally nothing despite living fifteen minutes from the center. 

5 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Do you have a link to this video? I have heard literally nothing despite living fifteen minutes from the center. 

Appreciate this is Indian state TV so there will be arguments but it's there clear as day. 2.15 in video clear attempted stabbing but let's just pretend this doesn't happen.