Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ginger_Filbert

Troubles In Leicester

We’ve seen things like this before but never lasting this long (I don’t think?)

Really hope it gets a peaceful resolution soon. 

I know it’s a result of the cricket match but can someone explain why it’s only Hindus involved with Sikhs staying out of it?

Edit to say: Sorry if this is being discussed elsewhere. 

Edited by Ginger_Filbert

2 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

We’ve seen things like this before but never lasting this long (I don’t think?)

Really hope it gets a peaceful resolution soon. 

I know it’s a result of the cricket match but can someone explain why it’s only Hindus involved with Sikhs staying out of it?

Edit to say: Sorry if this is being discussed elsewhere. 

It’s being discussed elsewhere but it’s got nothing to do with the cricket. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

The city has also had a lot of immigration from Daman. A former Portuguese colony. A place where this extremist politics is huge

I've heard they have alot to do with this trouble?

26 minutes ago, StanSP said:

As a Hindu, it will hurt me over the next few weeks seeing Hindus lumped in as one as the cause for these troubles :(

But Stan, the whole fight now is to avoid that. It’s why it pisses me off so much when people have done little research and have little understanding say things like “it’s religion”. “It’s cricket”. 

The work on the ground is that the Muslim, Hindu and Sikh religions within Leicester do not become enemies - this is imperative. This is a facist ideology that this city wants no part of. 

Edited by Mickyblueeyes
  • Like 3

Just now, Mickyblueeyes said:

But Stan, the hold fight now is to avoid that. It’s why it pisses me off so much when people have done little research and have little understanding say things like “it’s religion”. “It’s cricket”. 

The work on the ground is that the Muslim, Hindu and Sikh religions with Leicester do not become enemies - this is imperative. This is a facist ideology that this city wants no part of. 

I know mate, but there's some incredibly lazy people out there willing to forego the research or hold the ignorance and go with the simple answer.

For years general Muslim and Hindus and lived together peacefully. My fear is that all the actions recently and whatever is to come will set back the relations of ordinary Hindus and Muslims several years. 

I hope you're right and there is a swift end to this and the infiltration of these extremists is put to an halt sharpish. Not what anyone needs right now! 

• Like 4

I'd say 90% of the idiots causing the trouble don't even know why they are out doing what they are doing.

I am sure the route cause is genuine, but unfortunately, as is usually the case now with social media, things get twisted & amplified and it serves nothing more than an excuse for people to come out and cause trouble - It just becomes trendy.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

So, lots of countries in the world are suffering with a rise in right wing populism. The right wing (from the centre right all the way out to the far right) have been using the economy to fuel populist rhetoric and build support for increasingly right wing ideologies for the last couple of decades (well, forever, but it's been much easier since the global financial meltdown.)

In the States they had the Tea Party and later MAGA and Trump, over here you've got Farage, BJ and Brexit, in France it's Le Pen and Co, all different brands of the same thing using nationalist, patriotic sentiment, fear mongering, often using religion and identity politics to divide and conquer. 

Well India is no different, Narenda Modi (their leader) is low key terrifying. His political party are far right populists but beyond that he's also a member of a fascist paramilitary organisation (RSS) that seems to be weirdly normalised in Indian politics. Modi uses Hindu nationalism as a platform and is violently opposed to anyone that, well, isn't a Hindu nationalist. This isn't good news for Muslims and Sikhs in particular. 

Like lots of extremist paramilitary groups, the RSS does outreach in its diaspora globally (like the IRA and UVF courting American sympathisers during the Troubles) and is suspected to be behind a lot of campaigning in Hindu Indian communities in the UK (and probably elsewhere) and is alleged to be behind an increasing rise in anti Muslim and anti Sikh sentiment in Leicester. 

There are accusations that pro RSS / Modi youths have been provoking Muslim communities in Leicester over recent times and that things came to a head recently following the cricket but the cricket was more a spark that lit a lot of gasoline that's been lobbed around as opposed to really the cause itself. 

Well constructed argument, if a little bias to the left

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's not really an argument, it's an explanation. If you think my implication that fascism is scary and that far right populism is a concern is "a little biased to the left" then I think that's a little sad, personally, and is indicative of the wider problem. 

And yet this in turns also explains whilst it can never be universally accepted, a sad state indeed