Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stadt

Gaming PCs

I'm moving house soon and will have space for decent set up which I've never previously had. A big part of the charm is being able to play lots of classic games I never did growing up as a console gamer. The extent of my PC gaming history is FM, minesweeper, lego racers and mini clip so I'm not well versed in it all.

With regards to the spec, I'm not bothered about about ultra-high end gear but something decent enough. At first I'll be playing FM and other low-ish requirement games.

• Do I buy one ready made or do I build my own (I quite like the idea of that)?
  • What can I expect to be spending?
  • Anything else I should know beforehand?

Cheers

39 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I'm moving house soon and will have space for decent set up which I've never previously had. A big part of the charm is being able to play lots of classic games I never did growing up as a console gamer. The extent of my PC gaming history is FM, minesweeper, lego racers and mini clip so I'm not well versed in it all.

With regards to the spec, I'm not bothered about about ultra-high end gear but something decent enough. At first I'll be playing FM and other low-ish requirement games.

• Do I buy one ready made or do I build my own (I quite like the idea of that)?
  • What can I expect to be spending?
  • Anything else I should know beforehand?

Cheers

I bought a gaming PC for the first time earlier this year and most of your situation sounds similar to mine. I know nothing about this sorta stuff so my friend made all the recommendations and I ended up with this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403785302250?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338343596&toolid=10001&customid=eb%3Ag%3Avms%3Aeb%3Ap%3A403785302250%3BCjwKCAjwhNWZBhB_EiwAPzlhNnkU_-mlFPrR_tP_wiJbsdHJX8hT_kkfuFoJV3KUAHdIbZ6L55YZ7xoC0MkQAvD_BwE&gclid=CjwKCAjwhNWZBhB_EiwAPzlhNnkU_-mlFPrR_tP_wiJbsdHJX8hT_kkfuFoJV3KUAHdIbZ6L55YZ7xoC0MkQAvD_BwE

Not from Ebay, but from Ebuyer who have apparently discontinued it. I only play FM on it and it works absolutely fine, first time in absolutely ages i've had a PC/laptop that actually responds instantly to anything I ask of it lol Not sure how easy this is to find so it's probably no use to you but I was expecting to have to pay north of £800 for anything decent but I got this for about 550.

• Thanks 1

If you do go down the build your own route there are loads of good resources and youtube guides and it isn't too hard now. You will generally get more for your money and be able to upgrade it later on. There are builds for all kinds of budgets and hotukdeals is really good for buying things on sale. What spec you look for tends to depend on budget - most components have a sweet spot for price/performance and it is a good idea to work out what you want rather than get sucked in to buying all the best stuff if that is not what you really need. Recently things haven't been great for PC building due to expensive graphics card prices but that is getting better now.

If you are confident enough, build your own.

It depends on your desired monitor resolution. Generally, something like £800-£1500 depending on quality of components is possible with a dedicated GPU (these are really very expensive now once you get into the mid range/high range). A mid range card like an RTX 3060 might cost you up to £400 MSRP (perfectly adequate for most).

Are you only playing games, or will it have other work uses? Which games will you play? Some might work on 4GB or 8GB of RAM, some might need much more, etc.

You can spend as much or as little as you like, but generally, the more you spend, the better your experience. There is a point of diminishing returns, but that's often when you get to higher-end components. If you play your games at 1080p@60Hz, you won't ever need high end gear.

1 hour ago, Stinky said:

I bought a gaming PC for the first time earlier this year and most of your situation sounds similar to mine. I know nothing about this sorta stuff so my friend made all the recommendations and I ended up with this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403785302250?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338343596&toolid=10001&customid=eb%3Ag%3Avms%3Aeb%3Ap%3A403785302250%3BCjwKCAjwhNWZBhB_EiwAPzlhNnkU_-mlFPrR_tP_wiJbsdHJX8hT_kkfuFoJV3KUAHdIbZ6L55YZ7xoC0MkQAvD_BwE&gclid=CjwKCAjwhNWZBhB_EiwAPzlhNnkU_-mlFPrR_tP_wiJbsdHJX8hT_kkfuFoJV3KUAHdIbZ6L55YZ7xoC0MkQAvD_BwE

Not from Ebay, but from Ebuyer who have apparently discontinued it. I only play FM on it and it works absolutely fine, first time in absolutely ages i've had a PC/laptop that actually responds instantly to anything I ask of it lol Not sure how easy this is to find so it's probably no use to you but I was expecting to have to pay north of £800 for anything decent but I got this for about 550.

It's because it has an integrated GPU. If it's for office work, you'll get by, for really any type of gaming, you need a dedicated GPU. Thankfully FM is more CPU oriented, so that's more important than a GPU in this case. Any game where texture rendering or matrix multiplication is required and you will struggle.

Edited by Beechey

Others on here can offer far more informed advice than I can but the one thing I would say is an absolute necessity is an SSD. If you're planning first and foremost on playing stuff like FM and other low-spec games then you won't need anything spectacular, though it'll depend to an extent what resolution you want to play at. I like 1440p as a middle ground between 4k (bit too expensive) and 1080p (bit too blurry) but that in turn will depend to an extent on the size of your monitor.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com is a good resource - there are build guides there for different price ranges but also a tool for putting together your own that'll give you an idea if all the individual components are compatible and what sort of price you'll be looking at, and you'll get an idea of what the most popular parts are. If you don't mind looking at Reddit there's also r/buildapc and r/buildapcforme if you're after advice or want suggestions for a build for your budget and needs.

• Thanks 1

Following with interest as I intent to buy a gaming PC myself next year. Will use it for games like FM and the Total War series, but also want the option to play stuff like Skyrim, Fallout, and other RPGs with heavy mods, so I imagine I'll need to be spending £800ish. I've wanted to take the plunge for 5 or 6 years now, but never had the space due to living at home, then had the European tour last season which sapped all my spare cash.

Tbf doesn't sound like you need that much.

I upgrade when I want too but in terms of graphics, I haven't upgraded mine in 6 years.

I bought a brand new 4gb GTX 1050 in 2016. The games I play aren't demanding, pretty much like the ones you listed aren't, so don't need anything too expensive.

Nowadays decent motherboards can be picked up for £50 or less, if you're looking to build your own system.

I got my first computer from https://www.overclockers.co.uk/

Absolutely fantastic service and makes things nice and easy for you, literally plug and play out the box. Their chat is helpful too!

Would recommend going down this route first as opposed to building, you need to really understand what a computer needs to function, it's not difficult to build them but it can be very daunting.

just for a quick reference:

Min - All:

1tb nvme Gen 3 drive

Ensure your RAM is in the dual channel config and XMP is turned on

Ensure the PSU is a good branded one and at like 80 plus bronze. 

Bare Minimum System:

CPU: AMD 5500, Intel 11400

Board: AMD B550 Chipset, Intel b560 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia 2060

PSU: 650w

RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (8GB x2 kit)

Min- Good for Modern 1080p gaming:

CPU: AMD 5500 cpu, Intel 12100

Board: AMD B550 Chipset, Intel b660 Chipset

GPU: AMD 6600, Nvidia 3060

RAM: 16GB 3200Mhz (8GB x2 kit)

Min- Good for Modern 1440p Gaming:

CPU: AMD 5600 cpu, Intel 12400

GPU: Nvidia 3060 Ti, AMD 6700xt

RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (8GB x2 kit)

Min - Good for Modern 4k Gaming:

CPU: AMD 5600, Intel 12400

GPU: AMD 6800xt, Nvidia 3080

PSU: 750w

RAM: 16GB 3200Mhz (8GB x2 kit)

All depends on cost, but those are some rough guidelines for you to be looking at. Whether pre-built or you plan to put it together yourself. 

New components are coming out like to 40 series Nvidia GPU’s and 7000 Series AMD CPU’s and GPU’s. And the Intel 13th Gen CPU’s, which could push cost down on the components above. 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, CupidStunt said:

what can you get for about £1000? Need to get my son one from xmas, he will be using it for gaming only

Any of these from Costco any good? If so, is it a decent price?

which one would you choose?

They literally all look the same to me

16GB £1000 - £1499.99 £750 - £999.99 Powerful Gaming PCs ... (costco.co.uk)

Couldn't tell you about amd builds because **** amd. 

But this Intel build is tidy af. Only thing it doesn't mention is what type of ram it uses, which is odd. 

https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/Desktops-PCs-iMacs/Stormforce-Intel-Core-i5-16GB-RAM-500GB-SSD-and-1TB-HDD-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3060-Ti-Gaming-Desktop-PC/p/411123

And cheaper than similar ones on overclockers. So seems a pretty good price. Would need to shop about further though. And it sneaks over the £1k budget. And you'd still need a monitor and mouse and keyboard etc etc. 

1 hour ago, CupidStunt said:

what can you get for about £1000? Need to get my son one from xmas, he will be using it for gaming only

What monitor are you using?  If it's a 1080p monitor, you're probably over kill for that budget. If it's a 1440p screen, you're about on the money.

Also, AMD are launching their new GPUs today which means all of Intel/nVidia/AMD have all their products out for this year.  Don't share the above view as AMD have been killing it recently.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CupidStunt said:

this is solid, if you have an OS that is transferable: 

https://www.ebuyer.com/1541818-alphasync-pba-onyx-3060ti-gaming-pc-amd-ryzen-5-5600x-16gb-ram-as-d6696

Plus you can use windows 10/11 for free with all features bar changing wallpaper. And it just will have the activate windows in the corner. Of course you would have to load it on, plus you can get keys less than £20 legally too.  

19 hours ago, Zear0 said:

What monitor are you using?  If it's a 1080p monitor, you're probably over kill for that budget. If it's a 1440p screen, you're about on the money.

Also, AMD are launching their new GPUs today which means all of Intel/nVidia/AMD have all their products out for this year.  Don't share the above view as AMD have been killing it recently.

Ive bought him this monitor, it was £125 just a few days ago so i thought it was a good deal. 165Hz. I guess its 1080p?

Lenovo G27c-10 27 inch FHD Curved Gaming Monitor (VA Panel, 165Hz, 1ms, HDMI, DP, FreeSync, Metal Stand) - Tilt/ Lift Stand : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

8 hours ago, CupidStunt said:

Ive bought him this monitor, it was £125 just a few days ago so i thought it was a good deal. 165Hz. I guess its 1080p?

Lenovo G27c-10 27 inch FHD Curved Gaming Monitor (VA Panel, 165Hz, 1ms, HDMI, DP, FreeSync, Metal Stand) - Tilt/ Lift Stand : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Looks good! Did you pick a machine yet? 

1 hour ago, CupidStunt said:

Not yet, when i look i just get more and more confused

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan-gamer-rtx-amd-ryzen-5-5600x-16gb-ddr4-8gb-evga-rtx-3050-1tb-m2-ssd-win-11-see-info

I had a bit of a peruse from Scan who I usually use and saw this one. They've got a 30 day return with these systems too. I suspect that system would run most things well, but you can try the games he'd play just to check.

They've got really good customer support too so give them a call with your needs and they'll help. 

15 hours ago, CupidStunt said:

Not yet, when i look i just get more and more confused

https://www.ebuyer.com/1538366-alphasync-diamond-3060ti-gaming-pc-amd-ryzen-5-5600x-16gb-ram-1tb-amd-5600x-3060ti-core-v2-q3

This will be hard to beat. Comes with the OS (windows 11) too. 3060 Ti is a great 1080p/1440p card. What is also good is none of the parts are proprietary and all are listed and very good components. I would find this hard to beat putting the parts together myself 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

10 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

https://www.ebuyer.com/1538366-alphasync-diamond-3060ti-gaming-pc-amd-ryzen-5-5600x-16gb-ram-1tb-amd-5600x-3060ti-core-v2-q3

This will be hard to beat. Comes with the OS (windows 11) too. 3060 Ti is a great 1080p/1440p card. What is also good is none of the parts are proprietary and all are listed and very good components. I would find this hard to beat putting the parts together myself 

Never bought anything from ebuyer before, they reputable?

Is there anything close to this spec on the costco website?

54 minutes ago, CupidStunt said:

Never bought anything from ebuyer before, they reputable?

Is there anything close to this spec on the costco website?

I have bought loads from ebuyer, very reputable. I can have a look for you on Costco, but I do fully trust ebuyer though. For around a grand I wouldn’t expect to get anything less than what I posted from ebuyer. 

Well this actually looks like it is going to perform slightly better, seems this is a very good buy too: 

https://www.costco.co.uk/TVs-Electronics-Security/Gaming-PCs-Consoles/Gaming-Desktops/AWD-IT-Renegade-6-AMD-Ryzen-5-16GB-RAM-1TB-SSD-AMD-Radeon-6700XT-Gaming-Desktop-PC/p/363941

There are unknowns on this one, whether the RAM is 1x16 (one stick) or 2x8 (2 sticks), 2x8 will perform better because it will be dual channel. It also doesn’t mention RAM speed or timings.

Looking at the image, which they say is for illustration purposes only it seems to have two sticks of what looks like Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Ram, which is very good. Still no idea of the speed though 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 1