Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

Formula 1 2023

15 minutes ago, Milo said:

Highlights of the season for me were Singapore and Vegas. 

The rest was largely forgettable. 

Not really an edge-of-your-seat sport these days.

Need someone to challenge red bull for it to be interesting. Watching Max just romp home every race is not the stuff of excitement. 

DRS needs to go or only be used for lapping back-markers. It’s not doing what it was intended to do. 

We need more racing and smaller cars, smaller wheels and refuelling would help that.

There are also way too many one-stops and races where hard tyres are used for massively long stints. 

Some of the circuits are just awful. I miss Turkey, Malaysia and Germany.

Maybe I’m just a nostalgic after watching the Brawn documentary. 

13 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The sport really needs next season to be competitive or else all the fans gained are going to permanently turn off. 

Apparently they have had an increase in numbers watching but that might just be new fans watching for the first time in a tourist type of way.

And they might get fed up like you say if the status quo carries on .

Any suggestions on how to make it a little more exciting? 

Mine would be to bin the dull Middle East circuits (yeah, I know why they are used) and replace them with more exciting tracks. 

Teams must use all 3 tyre compounds throughout a race 

Reintroduce refueling so that teams can opt for fast starts with less fuel, or longer strategies. 

And have a couple of races where pit wall communication is banned. (Except for safety issues). Drivers choose how to race and when to pit, based on their abilities and instinct. No endless data of how each component of the car is performing, what others lap times are, etc. Old school racing. 

I think it would make it a little more watchable!! 

• Like 1

Hopefully it somehow ends up closer at the front next season, or at least have Perez or whoever Verstappen’s teammate will be actually competing

19/22 wins and not many of them were “close wins” just made that part of the whole season boring

At least the likes of Aston Martin and McLaren were able to make it a bit more interesting for podiums etc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Milo said:

Any suggestions on how to make it a little more exciting? 

Mine would be to bin the dull Middle East circuits (yeah, I know why they are used) and replace them with more exciting tracks. 

Teams must use all 3 tyre compounds throughout a race 

Reintroduce refueling so that teams can opt for fast starts with less fuel, or longer strategies. 

And have a couple of races where pit wall communication is banned. (Except for safety issues). Drivers choose how to race and when to pit, based on their abilities and instinct. No endless data of how each component of the car is performing, what others lap times are, etc. Old school racing. 

I think it would make it a little more watchable!! 

The middle eastern comment is weird. Perhaps Qatar aside, Bahrain generally produces some of the best racing every year, Jeddah is certainly unique and offers good racing and the changes they've made to Abu Dhabi have made the track so much better. 

Only ways to improve the competitiveness is to make the rules less complex and probably introduce a new tyre supplier. Qualifying pace isn't a world apart from top to bottom, race pace is 

On 24/11/2023 at 23:09, The Horse's Mouth said:

Are you forgetting the vast majority of Max’s career lol , he’s had the best car for two years. He constantly outperformed his Redbull in previous years when they were either second or third in the pecking order. Hamiltons time after the dominance hasn’t exactly been glowing either, he had a poor year last year and got beat by Russell in his debut season. But tbf that’s kinda irrelevant, it’s all subjective who you see as the best driver but saying Max is an average driver is just downright moronic lol 

Yeah agreed, maybe average is too strong. I still don't consider him one of the all-time great drivers though -  certainly not yet. 

8 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Sounds like as you were really .

Well we don't quite know. Maybe Red Bull can prize away Alonso from AM - someone who can give Max a challenge but also keep it clean. Drugovich probably gets promoted if that hapoens - doubt they'd go for Checo?

Then there's Sargeant's seat still open. Probably between him and Vesti?

4 hours ago, shen said:

Well we don't quite know. Maybe Red Bull can prize away Alonso from AM - someone who can give Max a challenge but also keep it clean. Drugovich probably gets promoted if that hapoens - doubt they'd go for Checo?

Then there's Sargeant's seat still open. Probably between him and Vesti?

No way on God's given earth do Red Bull put someone like Alonso in the 2nd car.

Their whole team is focused on Max, putting Alonso alongside would cause them monumental problems with him, because he'd challenge the status quo within the team. Between Max's petulance and Alonso's bull headedness, they'd end up colliding more than Lewis and Nico did, and whinger spice ain't got it him to manage that

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, snoopy87 said:

Their whole team is focused on Max, putting Alonso alongside would cause them monumental problems with him, because he'd challenge the status quo within the team. Between Max's petulance and Alonso's bull headedness, they'd end up colliding more than Lewis and Nico did, and whinger spice ain't got it him to manage that

Be great wouldn't it

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, snoopy87 said:

Only Red Bull would be so arrogant to think they could actually pull it off though lol

6 hours ago, shen said:

Only Red Bull would be so arrogant to think they could actually pull it off though lol

Marko would be, Horner wouldn't. I think its quite telling with his comments last week about Hamilton talking to the team and them being happy with their lot

• Like 1

IF their car was as dominant next season you could keep Perez. But how many times he massively underperformed in the elite car is madness. Qualifying especially he was just horrific there’s no guarantee they will be so dominant next year so replacing him seems the obvious thing to do. Not with alonso though would be absolute carnage like shooting yourself in the head never mind the foot. Need a steady pair of hands as max number 2 not sure who but the equivalent of Barrichello to Schumacher.

As long as the combination of Red Bull and Max are as far ahead as they currently are, Checo, or someone of his caliber, is perfectly fine for them. Max can virtually win the constructors championship alone, and his teammate cannot get close enough to challenge him. As soon as another team gets close enough, or separates themselves into second, so that Max cannot do it all on his own, whether that be Mercedes, Ferrari, Mclaren, or Aston, will be when they have an issue. And there will hopefully come a point where Max will need his teammate to help him out rather than just driving 10+ seconds up the road and the only time we see him on the coverage is when he crosses the finish line.

Currently, it's the perfect scenario for them. Their star driver, who has a history of being a bit petulant when challenged by a driver from another team, or his teammate, doesn't have to worry about being challenged, and they can still win the constructors comfortably.

Would love to see Alonso in the other car, he seems to have a healthy respect for Max but would not be afraid to get his elbows out and ruffle a few feathers. But it won't happen, Team Max would not react well to someone more competitive being put in the other Red Bull, we've seen how they (Jos) have reacted the few times Checo has dared to beat him, someone who could challenge him more consistently would cause them a real headache. Max would still win the drivers as he is the best out there at the moment, but the aggro and noise is something I am sure Horner would rather do without.

There always seem to be rumours about Lando and Red Bull, I hope this doesn't happen though as I like what Mclaren have going on and think Max would eat him alive.

Memory of Vettel/Webber probably still fresh in their minds. Max got 575 points this season whilst Mercedes managed 409 proving that I could be in Checo's seat and they'd still win the title.  Guess they'll balance whether having a competent second drive is worth the hassle.