Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
coalvillefox

Personalised Number Plate

Always wanted one, don't know why and my Wife doesn't know why either. Nothing fancy, just my initials or something similar but where do I get it from? There appear to be many places online but all at slightly different prices and all charging extra for different additional services. Any recommendations on a place to get one from and how do I avoid paying more then I need to?

8 minutes ago, coalvillefox said:

Always wanted one, don't know why and my Wife doesn't know why either. Nothing fancy, just my initials or something similar but where do I get it from? There appear to be many places online but all at slightly different prices and all charging extra for different additional services. Any recommendations on a place to get one from and how do I avoid paying more then I need to?

https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/

You can buy them at lots of websites but if you want to go through the DVLA if that makes you feel better you can get them here. My wife got me one through here.

• Like 1

I wanted to buy one for the Mrs, but she won't let me.

Her name is Laura, so I could easily buy a current style 14 plate reg that ended in URA, so the end reads Laura.

I honestly found BJ14URA for £399

I think it's worth it, just to see her face lol

Edited by tom27111
  • Haha 4

Go through the DVLA, it's basically choose what you want, pay your money and wait for the certificate, then change your log book and get new plates made up, as long as it doesn't appear to make your car newer you can have any reg you want. I've had 3 for my family as birthday presents, one thing to know though is that you own that reg for 10 years (i think) so if you swap cars, you have to pay a small fee to change the number over again. (might be £75, but i'm not 100%)

3 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Why do you want one? I should emphasise that there isn't a 'the f***' between 'why' and 'do', I'm genuinely curious because I've never understood the appeal - it's something I just don't 'get'

I've always liked the idea of personalised stuff. I played in goal for years and always had my initials on the wrist band of my gloves. I bought a set of bath towels for me and the wife and had our names embroidered on them. Personalised stuff has always appealed to me, no idea why.

19 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Why do you want one? I should emphasise that there isn't a 'the f***' between 'why' and 'do', I'm genuinely curious because I've never understood the appeal - it's something I just don't 'get'

Glad someone else beat me to making a grumpy old man type comment lol

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I've considered a personalised number plate but always decided against it.

I am having a mid life crisis, am desperate to make my car look newer than it really is, and I do have a small penis - so I'm the perfect candidate for one really.

One of the greatest posts.  

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I am having a mid life crisis, am desperate to make my car look newer than it really is, and I do have a small penis - so I'm the perfect candidate for one really.

Just say you can't afford it; it's alright. No shame here.

26 minutes ago, coalvillefox said:

I've always liked the idea of personalised stuff. I played in goal for years and always had my initials on the wrist band of my gloves. I bought a set of bath towels for me and the wife and had our names embroidered on them. Personalised stuff has always appealed to me, no idea why.

Well that makes perfect sense, although I'd see those examples you've given as being much better value both in terms of cost and also more accurate personalisation than what the DVLA can offer

11 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Glad someone else beat me to making a grumpy old man type comment lol

I'm deliberately trying not to be a grumpy old man (even though I probably am one) and more importantly not to be seen as taking the piss.

An old colleague of mine got a personalised plate from his Missus for his 40th birthday, and when I took the mickey in the gentlest way imaginable, he was MASSIVELY offended, and I thought to myself at the time 'just because it's not your sort of thing, Bellend, doesn't mean that it's not of profound personal importance to somebody else'

• Like 1

Someone I work with (an accountant) newly qualified, and his wife bought him "PH11 ACA".  Phil being his name, ACA being his qualification.  I mean, I have nothing against being an accountant - I'm one myself - but to drive a personalised number plate car that says "I'm an accountant"  -  :jawdrop:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

Can confirm at least one of these statements is true.

I'm not confirming which one though :blush:

• Haha 1