Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

Non-League Football 2023/34

On 04/05/2024 at 18:58, purpleronnie said:

Well as i feared Croydon did make it into the playoffs and beat Jersey away, so they are one step closer.  Jersey cant seem to get out of this division.

Harborough beat Anstey away 0-2 in the playoff final.

And the 'massive' Bury AFC couldn't get automatic promotion and now have lost the play offf final on penalties to Wythenshawe Town.  Wythenshawe FC won the division, so both Wythenshawe clubs promoted, must be a rarity.

Ah remember you commenting on the bulls a while back. Yeh Croydon won, bulls missed a pen. 
Will be same again for jersey next season. Be in and amongst it all season then a team will find some extra funding and storm through the playoffs. You got some players in this league on £600 a week. Tbf the bulls players are in the uk every fortnight so can make a stack of cash flogging duty free booze and cigs to their contacts upon return 

15 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Ironic it's called Southern League Central, but somehow you have teams from Suffolk, Essex, Lincolnshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire.. all taking part. When you think Central, you'd imagine either the midlands. Non league system is mucked up big time.

Realistically it should

be

Northern Premier Division (North West, North East and Northern part of Yorkshire, Northern Lincolnshire, North Wales)

Central Premier Division (West Midlands, East Midlands, Southern part of Yorkshire, Southern Lincolnshire, Norfolk)

South East Premier Division (Suffolk, Essex, Greater London, South West Coast, Hampshire, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Southern Oxfordshire)

South West Premier Division (Dorset, West Country, South Wales, Somerset, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire)

Then.

Northern Division One East 

Northern Division One West

Central Division One East

Central Division One West

South East Division One

South Central & South Division One 

This is an example of how non league fans can't look past semantics. 

Equally the pyramid can't employ geographical barriers. There's always one part which is lob-sided because of population. Your divisional set-up for example includes teams in Lincolnshire and the North-East (4 hours - 220 miles). 

It's easier to travel at North-South directions in this country - so a trip to Bedford isn't that bad for say Coalville as it's all M1. Ypu've got Lowestoft (Suffolk) to say Gosport (Hampshire), that's over four hours travelling. 

The Step 2/3/4 of non-league isn't that bad - real issues are the imbalance at Step 5 where teams like Ingles in Thringstone are travelling to Telford for games. 

57 minutes ago, Corky said:

If you are at a loose end, check out the absolute farce that is happening around the play-offs in the Eastern Counties League Premier.

where am I supposed to be looking?

2 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

where am I supposed to be looking?

It isn't easy to find so I'll try and round it up. Thetford played an ineligible player in their last league game and then the play off semi final which they both won. Last week they were disqualified and Mulbarton, who they beat, were put into the final which was supposed to be played last Saturday. Thetford appealed and it was arranged that the semi final would be replayed.

Today, it was announced that their last league game would also be replayed, three weeks after the original match. Heacham, their opponents, have changed manager and lost players since and are fuming at having to play. They lost the first game 6-0 too so who knows what a weakened team would do? 

Newmarket are waiting for their final opponent, Mulbarton don't know who they will play in the semi final. Harleston, if Thetford had been removed and lost points, or fail to win the rearranged last match, would be in the semi final. God knows when these games will be played, whether players are on holiday, maybe playing cricket over the summer. This has inconvenienced four teams and is a shambles.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Corky said:

It isn't easy to find so I'll try and round it up. Thetford played an ineligible player in their last league game and then the play off semi final which they both won. Last week they were disqualified and Mulbarton, who they beat, were put into the final which was supposed to be played last Saturday. Thetford appealed and it was arranged that the semi final would be replayed.

Today, it was announced that their last league game would also be replayed, three weeks after the original match. Heacham, their opponents, have changed manager and lost players since and are fuming at having to play. They lost the first game 6-0 too so who knows what a weakened team would do? 

Newmarket are waiting for their final opponent, Mulbarton don't know who they will play in the semi final. Harleston, if Thetford had been removed and lost points, or fail to win the rearranged last match, would be in the semi final. God knows when these games will be played, whether players are on holiday, maybe playing cricket over the summer. This has inconvenienced four teams and is a shambles.

Sounds like Thetford should just be booted out and Newmarket  play Mulbarton in the final.

15 minutes ago, Corky said:

Agreed. I don't recall an instance of a team fielding ineligible players being allowed to play the match again.

Absolute madness. Who is in charge of this league because replaying is not an option. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Lcfc82 said:

Sounds like Thetford should just be booted out and Newmarket  play Mulbarton in the final.

My future brother in law is on the coaching staff at Thetford. It’s a bit more nuanced than that because Newmarket effectively timed and played it out to basically get the lad suspended near the end of the season. 

Thetford signed him from Newmarket. He got sent off after an interaction with a fan. Due to the nature of the red card it was subject to a further ban. So suspension was delayed.

Joins Thetford and then the ban hits. However player wasn’t informed and neither were Thetford. Newmarket hold the info and then pay the fine themselves rather than player or Thetford - but held onto the information until basically playoff semi-final and then complain to the local FA that the player is banned.

Heacham game is off as they don’t have a team to field  

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

He got sent off after an interaction with a fan. Due to the nature of the red card it was subject to a further ban…

*clunk*

That was the sound of my sympathy walking out of the room and going down the pub. 

17 minutes ago, Daggers said:

*clunk*

That was the sound of my sympathy walking out of the room and going down the pub. 

I agree with you Daggers.

But worrying increasing trend of people going non league games, stand on the sidelines and think it’s right to outright abuse players. 

6 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I agree with you Daggers.

But worrying increasing trend of people going non league games, stand on the sidelines and think it’s right to outright abuse players. 

Realise mine is a snapshot, but not seen anyone being abused this season. Is it an increasing trend? Genuine ask. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Realise mine is a snapshot, but not seen anyone being abused this season. Is it an increasing trend? Genuine ask. 

I expected it to happen more as more people turn away from the billionaires boys club football. People are used to being in a big crowd and its the done thing to insult players / refs etc and not be picked up.

You can't hide in non league if you start behaving the same way

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Daggers said:

5 hours ago, Lako42 said:

I expected it to happen more as more people turn away from the billionaires boys club football. People are used to being in a big crowd and its the done thing to insult players / refs etc and not be picked up.

You can't hide in non league if you start behaving the same way

There's always been "abuse" but it's generally been playful tongue in cheek banter and the unwritten law is that at the end of the game you give the player a clap and wish them well if they've been singled out for a bit of stick. 

Since covid and people sacking off the pro game - you get a lot of people that seem to be pure raging and angry about nothing. I absolutely cringe whenever I hear "wanchor wanchor wanchor". Same pre-packaged angry chant each time. Where's the wit lads?

Then at the end of the game they carry on the verbal abuse instead of letting it just be a bit of banter.

Like Lako says - some people that are used to hiding in numbers and seem to carry some weird anger now coming to games where there are a few hundred people and acting the same. It stands out massively.

It's not endemic and happening all the time, but there's a very definite change to pre covid times.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

My future brother in law is on the coaching staff at Thetford. It’s a bit more nuanced than that because Newmarket effectively timed and played it out to basically get the lad suspended near the end of the season. 

Thetford signed him from Newmarket. He got sent off after an interaction with a fan. Due to the nature of the red card it was subject to a further ban. So suspension was delayed.

Joins Thetford and then the ban hits. However player wasn’t informed and neither were Thetford. Newmarket hold the info and then pay the fine themselves rather than player or Thetford - but held onto the information until basically playoff semi-final and then complain to the local FA that the player is banned.

Heacham game is off as they don’t have a team to field  

We (Coalville) nearly got caught out by this in the trophy this season - luckily the ineligible player was injured so missed the game anyway.

It can't be hard for the FA to have a central bank of player data where suspensions are stored and visible to clubs. When the suspension starts they enter x league/cup games. Secretary of club should have full visibility and be able to check the night before a game day and see which players are available and feed that back to the manager if anyone is suspended.

Once the game has passed they can mark them down as missing the game through suspension and the number goes down by 1.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

There's always been "abuse" but it's generally been playful tongue in cheek banter and the unwritten law is that at the end of the game you give the player a clap and wish them well if they've been singled out for a bit of stick. 

Since covid and people sacking off the pro game - you get a lot of people that seem to be pure raging and angry about nothing. I absolutely cringe whenever I hear "wanchor wanchor wanchor". Same pre-packaged angry chant each time. Where's the wit lads?

Then at the end of the game they carry on the verbal abuse instead of letting it just be a bit of banter.

Like Lako says - some people that are used to hiding in numbers and seem to carry some weird anger now coming to games where there are a few hundred people and acting the same. It stands out massively.

It's not endemic and happening all the time, but there's a very definite change to pre covid times.

Okies. Maybe we’re just all a bit soft in K-town. 

Or maybe you all support nasty sides? 😁

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Okies. Maybe we’re just all a bit soft in K-town. 

Or maybe you all support nasty sides? 😁

All the fans and stewards I spoke to were incredibly friendly I really enjoyed my visit to be fair. Did the 10am start on the beers help? Probably :D 

KTFC season tickets are up for sale - £10 a match, no £25 charge for the card. Visitors are still going to be reamed an extra £2.50 on the day mind. Me? I'm now officially an old twat, so I get it for £6.66 a game (with a free hot drink). 

We've got drainage being installed too, so more games will take place at the Poppies on their scheduled days. Hopefully we can pick up a ground cover for cold snaps too.