Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFCJoe96

Women's Football 2023-24

Just now, purpleronnie said:

I think most think he deserved it because he's a man.

From what I read, that's generally the gist of what I'm getting. I've seen people suggesting it's because he got a 6 with his final bat and an out with his final ball... but that's his job right? Not what I would say a "special accolade".

I get it's not the strongest line-up but Mary had a solid case for it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Seen loads of people suggesting Stuart Broad was robbed this year, but genuinely I don't follow cricket... what did he do to deserve it?

Retired. Had a great career but it’s not a lifetime achievement award. Even if Earps didn’t win it there were others more deserving than Broad imo

Edited by LCFCJoe96

4 minutes ago, Seventyseven said:

Broad had a good ashes series and brought down the curtain to his superb career with a wicket on his final ball bowled and a 6 on his final ball batting.

far more deserving than a World Cup losing goalkeeper. 

but then it’s a public vote so this kind of thing is going to happen 

But it's his job to try and get a 6, or a wicket... is that worthy of a "prestigious annual accolade"? Or is it more down to the sentiment that those were his final moments? In which case, would it not be better he be awarded a lifetime achievement award in years to come?

I don't have a compelling argument to say Earps should have won but as someone has already posted, far more nominations and awards in her field. 

4 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Broad did very little in an ashes series that we didn’t even win. Even saw Piers Moron suggest Ronnie O’Sullivan who wasn’t even world champion. Some men just hate to see women do better than them. 

Well he has been nominated 3 times and not got in the top 3 so obviously isn’t as popular as some think ?

5 hours ago, Rusko187 said:

But it's his job to try and get a 6, or a wicket... is that worthy of a "prestigious annual accolade"? Or is it more down to the sentiment that those were his final moments? In which case, would it not be better he be awarded a lifetime achievement award in years to come?

I don't have a compelling argument to say Earps should have won but as someone has already posted, far more nominations and awards in her field. 

It’s Earps’ job to keep clean sheets

Its anyone’s job on that list to win

The only reason Earps won that last night is because the BBC have the rights to a lot of women’s football and is more accessible (free) to watch than The Ashes. 

It’s also an indicator on the demographic that watch SPOTY. I guarantee you that if you asked 100 people on the street, Family Fortunes style, then the winner would not be Earps. 

Don’t think she was particularly the outstanding candidate but don’t really think there was one. A lot of sexism obviously from certain quarters but I think people who genuinely believe someone who didn’t actually win anything, especially in a team game, isn’t really deserving of the award, aren’t being sexist, I fall in to that category myself. But then who do you pick? Probs KJT for me she won the world champs and seems really likeable. 

2 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Don’t think she was particularly the outstanding candidate but don’t really think there was one. A lot of sexism obviously from certain quarters but I think people who genuinely believe someone who didn’t actually win anything, especially in a team game, isn’t really deserving of the award, aren’t being sexist, I fall in to that category myself. But then who do you pick? Probs KJT for me she won the world champs and seems really likeable. 

She gets minus points for being named after a toilet 

• Haha 1

And the thing with me is, it might be controversial but I just don’t like women’s football i don’t find it entertaining I don’t think the standard is very good at all. Same reason I don’t watch league 2 football it can be all blood and guts but there’s little in the way of quality. Women’s athletics or tennis I watch a lot and enjoy, it’s competitive and the standard is high. Women’s football needs to improve dramatically before I become interested in it, but that’s just me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

And the thing with me is, it might be controversial but I just don’t like women’s football i don’t find it entertaining I don’t think the standard is very good at all. Same reason I don’t watch league 2 football it can be all blood and guts but there’s little in the way of quality. Women’s athletics or tennis I watch a lot and enjoy, it’s competitive and the standard is high. Women’s football needs to improve dramatically before I become interested in it, but that’s just me.

Disgusting view point😡.

I agree 100% just glad you said it not me as I'm too much of a pussy😁👍🏾

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Earps deserved it and was really any other competition this year really. Been quite a weak year for british sport. Lionesses being the stand out who have been the last two years. 

Alfie Hewitt won 5 Grand Slam titles and KJT was world champion. I think Earps had a good year but those two were ahead of her IMO. To say there was no competition to her is just wrong.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Earps deserved it and was really any other competition this year really. Been quite a weak year for british sport. Lionesses being the stand out who have been the last two years. 

Just a tick box for BBC and Womens footy.

If BBC didn't have the coverage of Womens footy Earps wouldn't even have been there.

• Haha 1

Sports personality is a popularity contest, have the same arguments every year. Alfie Hewitt was the biggest achiever on the list IMO, probably followed by KJT but they just don't have the support to win this kind of vote. 

Does bug me though that you seemingly can't have a negative opinion on women's football without being slammed as a women-hating misogynist. Ok, for some people that's fair but for others, they are just having an opinion. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Sports personality is a popularity contest, have the same arguments every year. Alfie Hewitt was the biggest achiever on the list IMO, probably followed by KJT but they just don't have the support to win this kind of vote. 

Does bug me though that you seemingly can't have a negative opinion on women's football without being slammed as a women-hating misogynist. Ok, for some people that's fair but for others, they are just having an opinion. 

People made their minds up before watching. They didn't take in the information. Watching that 2 hours show where all 6 were (well 5 as McIlroy wasn't) interviewed, is the opportunity for people to learn about what some of the people they were less clued up on had achieved in 2023. Hewitt should have got a top 3 spot based on that at least, but nobody actually listened to his story and learned about his achievements. There's a lot of people trying to push women's football on at the minute and they would have voted Earps regardless. The cricket fans were out in force to get Broad a top 3 spot. It didn't matter what they actually achieved.

I agree with the last bit too. I hate to think anyone would see me being aligned with Piers Morgan or Joey Barton just because I'm disappointed in the choice the public collectively made. I'm happy for women's footballers to win this, Beth Mead deserved it last year, and we've had some horrific choices for winners from men's football, Ryan Giggs in 2009 being one I was particularly disappointed about. I'm just not impressed on this occasion. 

I think most years the public pick a good winner. Sometimes it wouldn't have been my choice, but I can understand why people did vote for that person, but this year I just couldn't see it from a sporting achievement perspective. 

It’s just childish to say those who don’t think Earps was a worthy winner ‘don’t like women’. I’d be saying the same if Pickford won it after losing a World Cup final. 

Many worthy female winners including Radcliffe, Holmes, Radacanu and even Beth Mead after a final winning goal.

But Mary Earps? Do me a favour. 

1 hour ago, Seventyseven said:

It’s just childish to say those who don’t think Earps was a worthy winner ‘don’t like women’. I’d be saying the same if Pickford won it after losing a World Cup final. 

Many worthy female winners including Radcliffe, Holmes, Radacanu and even Beth Mead after a final winning goal.

But Mary Earps? Do me a favour. 

But She's not getting it for losing a final. She's won Best FIFA Goalkeeper, Super League Golden Glove, World Cup Golden Glove and England Player of the Year. 

• Like 1