Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Autism

Bit of advice and help needed please. 

My grandson (just about to turn 7) has autism but really wants to go to his first match. I'm considering the Hull City game on the 2nd September. 

Any advice please on what part of the ground will be the best to have seats etc? 

Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Bit of advice and help needed please. 

My grandson (just about to turn 7) has autism but really wants to go to his first match. I'm considering the Hull City game on the 2nd September. 

Any advice please on what part of the ground will be the best to have seats etc? 

Thanks. 

I'd suggest the family stand mate. I believe we have a sensory room too now so if it gets a little bit too much for him you can both watch the game from. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I'd suggest the family stand mate. I believe we have a sensory room too now so if it gets a little bit too much for him you can both watch the game from. 

That sounds exactly the thing that maybe needed as he does have sensory issues!! 

Thank you for that advice. 

Speaking from experience , i can only recommend an aisle seat in one of the quieter areas ( you can pop into the concourses when you see 'the signs') . Take ear protectors and one of those fidgit things you can get. Always works for me and my son loves going now. 

Edited by jonthefox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

I think @kingcarr21 has a son who has got the condition (apologies if mixing up with someone else), based on a thread in General Chat.

Not Autism however Ashton does suffer with sensory processing Disorder. So very similar traits. 

Ashton hated it when I took him to the football, think he was too young tbh. But I hear they have sensory rooms at the King Power now. Though I haven't looked into it.

Appreciate the thought @Wymsey 👍

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Not Autism however Ashton does suffer with sensory processing Disorder. So very similar traits. 

Ashton hated it when I took him to the football, think he was too young tbh. But I hear they have sensory rooms at the King Power now. Though I haven't looked into it.

No problem at all.

My bad, but knew it was something along those lines.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Do you think 7 is too young?... 

Do you think the Hull game would be a capacity crowd?.. I was thinking it wouldn't be full which would be a benefit. 

22 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Do you think the Hull game would be a capacity crowd?.. I was thinking it wouldn't be full which would be a benefit. 

I think I took Ashton at 5 years old. Way too young

Honestly I think you would be better off going to an U21 game first. That's what I did and Ashton hated it when we scored. At least you could Gauge your lads reaction.

43 minutes ago, weller54 said:

My grandson has autism. He was 9 when me and his stepdad took him to a match. This was a League Two match so smaller ground and crowd. He enjoyed it (luckily his team won) he has been back a few times and still likes it. I think 9 was about right age. Sometime younger kids seem a bit bored or fidgety.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

My nephew is Autistic and his first game was 6 years old. Straight in against Wigan in the cup. Fairly big attendance from what I can remember for a third round game and he was okay.

Probably advise getting in early though, letting him see the ground then maybe have a drink and stuff in the concourse. When we took my nephew we did something similar. 

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

My nephew is Autistic and his first game was 6 years old. Straight in against Wigan in the cup. Fairly big attendance from what I can remember for a third round game and he was okay.

Probably advise getting in early though, letting him see the ground then maybe have a drink and stuff in the concourse. When we took my nephew we did something similar. 

Thank you, that's very good advice! 

Well I've got aspergers myself, I can certainly tell a stand to avoid that would be the East Stand section. Either the family stand or the Kop he'd be fine. Might worth though to make sure you bring him to the stadium early before the concourse gets packed. If it means being in your seat for 2.15pm before a 3pm kick off. 

• Like 1

My son is 8 and has Autism. I would definitely recommend some headphones just to  help block out some noise. We tried the noise cancelling ear plugs but he couldn’t stand anything IN his ears, but managed some OVER his ears.

if they are a new idea that he hasn’t tried before, buy the headphones sooner rather than later as that would give him plenty of time to get used to them.

first time we tried the headphones he threw them down as the new experience at the same time  as the new headphones was too much for him but now  he loves using them and really benefits from them.

If you take them to the game and he doesn’t use them, you’ve lost nothing but from experience, a meltdown can ruin his day for him bless him. Not his fault of course..

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Have you considered visiting a LCFC women match as a trial

A lot more space, a younger demographic but the same environment and the tannoy is still at 11. 

Shame we don’t have an early League Cup round at home 

I have.. But wouldn't want to put him off watching us for life 😂.. Seriously though, he's just so excited to get to see the likes of Vardy playing!! 

24 minutes ago, weller54 said:

This!!.. 

Both my granddaughter and grandson are autistic but with totally different traits.. 

But they're wonderful kids and I love them to bits. 

The difference in traits and the needs of the individual child is one of the reasons it is so difficult to find the right school. Beautiful comment about loving your grandkids. Feel the same about mine.

• Like 2