Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HybridFox

Iversen/Ward

58 minutes ago, Foxmeister said:

I can't agree, he showed enough in the period up to the WC to suggest he was decent with a functioning defence. Far too much blame is being laid at his door when IMO the club was rotten to its core last season and we could have had Zoff in his pomp between the sticks and still struggled.

I know we had a good run (6 games?) but did he actually play well in those? You mention a competent defence, but they literally had to stop Ward from having anything to do. They were our last line of defence, not our goalkeeper, who was as good as useless.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sdb said:

I know we had a good run (6 games?) but did he actually play well in those? You mention a competent defence, but they literally had to stop Ward from having anything to do. They were our last line of defence, not our goalkeeper, who was as good as useless.

6 games is right but he only conceded 1 and that was against Man City which I'd say suggests there's a decent keeper in there somewhere. I'm not suggesting he is great but the vitriol he gets is disproportionate.

• Haha 1

On 08/08/2023 at 15:44, AKCJ said:

Both were given their chance and neither took it.

Neither good enough and neither can kick a ball.

Hopefully we can rake in a few quid and move on.

One can neither keep nor kick.......

On 08/08/2023 at 07:50, Bayfox said:

Can't play with his feet tho and you have to back the manager. No difference to Pep and Joe Hart. A lot of former man city players state how good a keeper joe was and how he was entering his prime yet he didn't suit peps way so out he went. 

I just hope Mads is our Ederson not Bravo.

As for Iversen he gets a move if we are sensible about it and don't demand a silly sum. The fact neither he or wardwere named on the bench at the weekend says all we need to know about what the manager is looking for. 

Be interested to see if we keep smithies as a 3rd choice or he's gone as well

Not only did Hart get bombed out of Man City he was told he had no future there even before Pep arrived. You have to admire the ruthlessness of Pep who cut Hart loose before even seeing him in the flesh because he knew he was no good with his feet and decision made.

I like that Ward and Iversen have been relegated to 3rd and 4th and presumably told to find new clubs because our manager has been similarly ruthless.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LFEFox23 said:

I'm struggling to see who takes a punt on Ward, Assume he's on half decent wages (20-30k a week?) which would need most of it covering.

A non-league or League Two team might throw an offer on the table, but let's face it, it's doubtful they could dangle a paycheck big enough to catch Ward's attention. And who could blame him for shrugging that off?

Picture this: a whole decade of getting paid way more than we could ever dream of, while chowing down on free grub and getting pampered with endless massages. All while chilling in a front-row seat watching top-flight footy action.

Rodgers shattered Ward's dream by exposing him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/08/2023 at 10:16, Foxmeister said:

Worst GK in our history, seriously?

Mark Grew

Zeljko Kalac

Gavin Ward

Ricardo

He’s right up there, for me absolutely. Grew Kalac and Ricardo played about 10 games for us but still had a decent career before or after us. Kalac won a champs league and was 1st choice at AC Milan and Ricardo 1st choice for sporting Lisbon and Portugal. Gavin Ward was just better for us than Danny, not even a fair comparison 

• Like 2

Just now, It'sblueupnorth said:

He’s right up there, for me absolutely. Grew Kalac and Ricardo played about 10 games for us but still had a decent career before or after us. Kalac won a champs league and was 1st choice at AC Milan and Ricardo 1st choice for sporting Lisbon and Portugal. Gavin Ward was just better for us than Danny, not even a fair comparison 

When you consider we spent £11 million buying Liverpools 3rd or 4th choice keeper and he has turned out to be a liability and a fraud I think it's far worse than any other shitty keeper we've had in the past 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

When you consider we spent £11 million buying Liverpools 3rd or 4th choice keeper and he has turned out to be a liability and a fraud I think it's far worse than any other shitty keeper we've had in the past 

Of course, value for money has to be taken into consideration. Harry Maguire gets a lot of unwarranted criticism on social media and that is because of his transfer fee not his ability. If he was an academy product there wouldn't be a word said about him.

Danny Ward is a victim of his transfer fee, no one will criticise him as much if he cost nothing. Whoever sanctioned the transfer fee for Ward wants fooking, he was never worth that money by any stretch of the imagination at ant point. Pants well and truly taken down on that buy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

I was behind the goal for the cup game when Kalac made his debut. I can still see the look on Colin Hill's face. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Groby_Blue said:

Yep, with the whole Kop screaming "Stay on your line!" at him. lol

We actually played really well that night but, went behind,outplayed them until we equalised,  then let go in front again ,with another soft (keeper error) goal.

Think we lost 2-3 

2 hours ago, Weller Wing said:

We actually played really well that night but, went behind,outplayed them until we equalised,  then let go in front again ,with another soft (keeper error) goal.

Think we lost 2-3 

Geoff Peters done radio commentary on that game.  They played his commentary on the third goal on the radio the next morning and I remember Geoff saying after the goal "Kalac has got his head in his hands, let's hope he doesn't drop it".  As you say, I remember it, that we played really well that night, but Kalac was truly awful, and didn't even look like a keeper.

• Like 1