Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HybridFox

Iversen/Ward

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

No-one should ''feel sorry'' for anyone. These are all handsomely paid professionals who are protected by contracts - not out on their arse on a months notice earning £25K a year. A true leader succeeds by making decisions and sticking by them, not faffing about worrying about peoples feelings. Ward, Iversen and other players will find another club and their careers will carry on, the direction of their career will ultimately be down to their own ability.

Let's be honest I would go a step further (I echo your sentiments entirely)

Ward should have Trading Standards breathing down his neck

There is no way on heavens earth he is a goalkeeper . . . . 

• Like 2

Iverson is a very keeper, and in the right team will go on and have a very good career. 

Problem is, Enzo wants a ball playing GK, and that's exactly what he isn't. Being ostracised as he has this year is harsh based on his performances last year, he did pretty well for his first spell playing football at premier league level. But it was plain for all to see his distribution was crap, and that's not gonna cut it in the way we now play. 

Personally hope he gets a good move, we get a bit of extra cash in the transfer kitty and we can both move forward. I'll have no I'll feeling to him when he's gone. 

It was Brendan that fooked us, and Danny ward who was dogshit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brookfox said:

Of course he’s good enough to be number 1 at this level, it’s exactly what he proved himself to be last season with Preston. He just doesn’t have the right attributes (ie ball playing) to fit our current managers style of play.

I meant our level. We are a championship club but with ambitions of being a top half Premier League club. Can’t see him being a premier league keeper. 

13 minutes ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

I meant our level. We are a championship club but with ambitions of being a top half Premier League club. Can’t see him being a premier league keeper. 

Maybe not, but at the level we’re at now (ie a Championship team looking for promotion) he’s more than capable. By all accounts he was in the top 5 keepers in his Championship season which is where we’ll hopefully finish. But again he’s a square peg in a round hole for our tactics. It’d be like putting Messi up top in a Sam Allardyce team and then saying he’s rubbish as he’s won no headers.

• Like 3

Call me naive, but surely Ward would want to leave after it being made abundantly clear that he isn't wanted here? I know he is paid handsomely and he would have to take a paycut if he was to leave, but he is at an age where he has spent most of his career as a no.2 and his reputation is now in tatters. You would think that he would want to play football and rebuild his reputation somewhere, wouldn't you? Actually go and prove that you aren't horrendous and have a career that you can look back on with some sense of pride.  Otherwise he will only really be known as one of the worst goalkeepers in our history and indeed premier league history. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

Call me naive, but surely Ward would want to leave after it being made abundantly clear that he isn't wanted here? I know he is paid handsomely and he would have to take a paycut if he was to leave, but he is at an age where he has spent most of his career as a no.2 and his reputation is now in tatters. You would think that he would want to play football and rebuild his reputation somewhere, wouldn't you? Actually go and prove that you aren't horrendous and have a career that you can look back on with some sense of pride.  Otherwise he will only really be known as one of the worst goalkeepers in our history and indeed premier league history. 

He's paid way above his ability and has spent the majority of his career keeping benches warm. I doubt he has any desire to move on and play more if it meant an inevitable wage cut.

Edited by sdb
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, sdb said:

He's paid way above his ability and has spent the majority of his career keeping benches warm. I doubt he has any desire to move on and play more if it meant an inevitable wage cut.

It's depressing, but you're right. 

The only difference is that he was playing second fiddle to one of our best ever goalkeepers and our captain. Now he doesn't even make our matchday squad. 

I suppose I will never be able to understands the mentality of someone who earns much more than my annual salary in two weeks. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Worst GK in our history, seriously?

Mark Grew

Zeljko Kalac

Gavin Ward

Ricardo

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I think it naive to think everyone's motivation is the same, Ward is 30 and has played 131 games across a career spanning 12 seasons, during his time with us 5 seasons he played a total of 47 games.  

Which sort of points to a player who is not too bothered about playing, what is the best he can hope for, a number 2 role at a PL club or maybe a number 1 at a Championship club at best. 

He's played at a WC and Euro for Wales, so he has done as much as he can probably in international football. 

He's contracted here until 2025, so has two seasons left on decent money, even if he's on 60k a week, even with a relegation clause reducing his pay by 40%, he's still on 36k a week, he's not getting that elsewhere. 

Can't see him in a rush to leave. 

4 minutes ago, Foxmeister said:

Mark Grew

Zeljko Kalac

Gavin Ward

Ricardo

I said one of the worst goalkeepers in our history not THE worst. In terms of value for money and in relation  the level of football that he was playing at, he's certainly up there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sdb said:

He's gotta be in the conversation, not that I know anything about Mark Grew!

I can't agree, he showed enough in the period up to the WC to suggest he was decent with a functioning defence. Far too much blame is being laid at his door when IMO the club was rotten to its core last season and we could have had Zoff in his pomp between the sticks and still struggled.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Foxmeister said:

Mark Grew

Zeljko Kalac

Gavin Ward

Ricardo

I watched Kalac's first game for the reserves i think. An absolute bomb scare and i am sure he conceded after being stood near the halfway line, either that or it was heart in mouth close. 

51 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Problem is someone has got to want him

38 minutes ago, woznotwos said:

I watched Kalac's first game for the reserves i think. An absolute bomb scare and i am sure he conceded after being stood near the halfway line, either that or it was heart in mouth close. 

I was at that game. He didn't even know the rules. He dribbled the ball outside the area, dribbled back again and picked it up. Free kick to the oppo which I think they scored from. 

• Haha 1