Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Rebuild Paused

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

Our resources and attractiveness eclipse all of those clubs, maybe aside from Southampton. This is the second summmer  'rebuild' we've needed in a row. In the last one we gained one player, Alex Smithies on a free as Faes in Fofana was like for like replacement.

Being no worse than other clubs is the problem, we should be much better.

Resources are one thing, attractiveness could be many different things to many players.  Better doesn't necessarily mean more - look at the quality of players we've brought in compared to, well, Ipswich signing Hirst from us, for example - i think Winks is worth a dozen Hirsts.

1 minute ago, Lillehamring said:

Resources are one thing, attractiveness could be many different things to many players.  Better doesn't necessarily mean more - look at the quality of players we've brought in compared to, well, Ipswich signing Hirst from us, for example - i think Winks is worth a dozen Hirsts.

Higher wages at the favourites to win the league is more attractive to vast majority% of players. Getting business done earlier is only beneficial, players cost more later in the window and it's obviously harder to integrate them.

There's a point where a shit player is better than no player provided we don't significantly overpay or tie them down for too long.

Our current wide options are:

Albrighton

Our attacking midfield options are:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Higher wages at the favourites to win the league is more attractive to vast majority% of players. Getting business done earlier is only beneficial, players cost more later in the window and it's obviously harder to integrate them.

There's a point where a shit player is better than no player provided we don't significantly overpay or tie them down for too long.

Our current wide options are:

Albrighton

Our attacking midfield options are:

Sure higher wages make a difference - but we don't know what sort of wages are being offered right now, especially to unproven players. And there are other factors for a player than money.

Of course getting business done earlier is beneficial, but if players aren't available, they aren't available; sometimes you have to wait.

There is no point when a shit player is better than no player.  You seem to imagine we can just approach a player and say 'you're a bit shit, so we're going to give you low pay on a year contract.' and they'll be on board. 

We have until the end of september to fill the gaps, if we can't do that adequately, i'd rather get someone up from the youth team than pay panic-money for a player that we can't use - just to fill the squad up

Maresca....

“We are close to the official game. Like every club we hope to have almost the final squad. But we know it’s difficult because there is all of next month also.

“So there’s many players that can arrive and many players that can leave. The important thing is to have, as soon as possible, the squad close, to work with all of them for all of the season.”

So, *hope* to have *almost* the final squad - so, for those expecting us to have done all our business, prepare to be disappointed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Is anyone expecting this? 

Well, that's a tough question - let's just say, based on this forum, there are some fans that expect it to already have happened, and then there are fans that expect it to happen but are convinced that it won't because of their belief that the club are incompetent

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Well, that's a tough question - let's just say, based on this forum, there are some fans that expect it to already have happened, and then there are fans that expect it to happen but are convinced that it won't because of their belief that the club are incompetent

I know, it’s a mad belief, right?

Like what evidence do they have for such beliefs…. :dunno: :whistle:

25 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Thailand comes first. Don’t ever forget that people.

And that's the issue, Coventry will be fitter, more organised and have more genuine minutes under their belt when we play. Can't see anything but a loss. We aren't a prem team anymore, let's act our level ffs 

With 10 days to go until

our opening game.

where is our creativity and more importantly goals going to come from ?

any new signings now won’t even have a friendly to bed in to the team..

it’s a proper mess.. but it’s lcfc and over the past 2/3 years it’s where we are..

no signs of it getting any better either..

especially with rudkin somehow in a job 

44 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

I know, it’s a mad belief, right?

Like what evidence do they have for such beliefs…. :dunno: :whistle:

It's getting boring now.  

In the context of the rebuild, if you want to disregard Maresca, Coady, Winks, hermansen, doyle, Mavididi - you sit there on your high horse and do so, meanwhile all us sensible people will look at what they've done in an incredibly short period of time and think 'yes. yes, that's pretty bloody good'.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Maresca....

So, *hope* to have *almost* the final squad - so, for those expecting us to have done all our business, prepare to be disappointed.

The problem with that sentence is that it is deliberately vague. It could mean there's very few left to come in to complete the squad by then, or it could mean there's lots more to come. And Maresca is sensible for saying that—he basically doesn't know how much of a "complete" squad he'll have by the time we kick off.

19 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

It's getting boring now.  

In the context of the rebuild, if you want to disregard Maresca, Coady, Winks, hermansen, doyle - you sit there on your high horse and do so, meanwhile all us sensible people will look at what they've done in an incredibly short period of time and think 'yes. yes, that's pretty bloody good'.

Fixed that first part for you—let's not assume Mavididi is through the door already. Nothing has been announced yet, so until it is, he's not our player.

As for the "sensible people" part, there's no need to suggest your opinion is better than @Freeman's Wharfer's. It's sensible to think we've got a few important players in within a short space of time. It's also sensible to be concerned that we're nowhere near where we need to be, and don't currently have the creativity we need to succeed in the league this season.

A lot of people are worried and frustrated about their football club. It's okay to let them express that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

The problem with that sentence is that it is deliberately vague. It could mean there's very few left to come in to complete the squad by then, or it could mean there's lots more to come. And Maresca is sensible for saying that—he basically doesn't know how much of a "complete" squad he'll have by the time we kick off.

Exactly - it's a complete unknown quantity, and yet people instead on discussing it like it's football manager and all we have to do is click a button and we'll have a full, ideal squad...

3 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Fixed that first part for you—let's not assume Mavididi is through the door already. Nothing has been announced yet, so until it is, he's not our player.

As for the "sensible people" part, there's no need to suggest your opinion is better than @Freeman's Wharfer's. It's sensible to think we've got a few important players in within a short space of time. It's also sensible to be concerned that we're nowhere near where we need to be, and don't currently have the creativity we need to succeed in the league this season.

A lot of people are worried and frustrated about their football club. It's okay to let them express that.

I did think twice about Mav, but when it gets past medical and personal terms it seems unlikely a deal will fall through, especially seeing how slow we are to make things public - it doesn't change much, the business we have done besides him is still excellent.

I'm not suggesting my opinon is 'better', there're no grades involved here, i was merely suggesting that given what the club have done in this off-season , 'competent' is the more rational interpretation of the capabilities of the club.  For sure we still have a lot of work to do (i've said elsewhere, i'd be surprised if we get all the players we need in this window), but Freeman didn't make that point, he was contradicting my suggestion that the club are not incompetent - my point, in response to this, was to suggest that an incompetent club would not have made the signings we have made and that to suggest contrary to this is nonsensical.

There's a difference between worry and frustration, and complete and utter distrust of the board to the point where you aren't even prepared to look at what they have most recently achieved - sure, people are entitled to that state of mind, but this is a forum, if people state their opinions they have to be prepared for other people to challenge them - you think that i haven't had all kinds of shit thrown at me for suggesting positive things about the board, that from a rebuild POV there was actually some merit in relegation? - of course i have. I'm just bored of the incompetence narrative, we don't know what went on behind the scenes, so why dwell on it, let's look forward to what we're rebuilding!

12 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

It's getting boring now.  

In the context of the rebuild, if you want to disregard Maresca, Coady, Winks, hermansen, doyle, Mavididi - you sit there on your high horse and do so, meanwhile all us sensible people will look at what they've done in an incredibly short period of time and think 'yes. yes, that's pretty bloody good'.

“What they’ve done in an incredibly short period of time”…..

The last game of the season was 28th May (I’d argue that we knew we had a rebuild this close season for a year before that but ignore that).

Today, 28th July. We have signed 4 players to replace 10.

We have sold our two best players on the cheap and not shifted a single squad player we’d like to (unless you scrape the barrel and count Hurst).

I’d say we’ve done very little.

Meanwhile the DOF is in training gear in Thailand.

The club has learnt nothing from last season. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

The last game of the season was 28th May (I’d argue that we knew we had a rebuild this close season for a year before that but ignore that).

We have sold our two best players on the cheap and not shifted a single squad player we’d like to (unless you scrape the barrel and count Hurst).

This- bang on- should have had all 8 in that were needed after the maddison transfer- this one in one out nonsense is just strange to say the least- they could then have focussed on having a team ready for the first game and in parallel getting the ones out that are not wanted or needed- seems to simple doesnt it- we are so underprepared for the first game next week its ridiculous- the gaffer has been in for plenty of time and weve probably done half the business we should have done by now- pretty pathetic really- the business we have done seems decent enough but we are desperately short in attacking areas- we need another 4 in the door at least and there is no excuses for it- weve had the maddison money confirmed for weeks- 90% of the new additions should have been in the door by now and the if any of the wanted lads were sold last minute we could do what business we need to late in the window- I dont even know who to blame for it anymore but its not good and next sunday is coming far to quickly

1 hour ago, 5waller5 said:

You're living in a fantasy world -  maresca only came in on june 16th, we only sold maddison on the 28th june - so the first month was never going to see any activity - it's really only four weeks.

Maddison and barnes were not sold on the cheap.  You have no idea which players Maresca wants to shift, or what we are doing with a view to shifting said players.

We've brought in players that fill very specific core roles - technically and psychologically - the club clearly has learnt something from last year, they are targeting players to play in a specific way, and with specific personalities - you only have to compare the like for like acquisitions of Faes and Coady to see that they have learnt something. 

What do you really believe we should have achieved by this stage - 10 new players? - it's hopelessly unrealistic, the market isn't that simple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jv1 said:

This- bang on- should have had all 8 in that were needed after the maddison transfer- this one in one out nonsense is just strange to say the least- they could then have focussed on having a team ready for the first game and in parallel getting the ones out that are not wanted or needed- seems to simple doesnt it- we are so underprepared for the first game next week its ridiculous- the gaffer has been in for plenty of time and weve probably done half the business we should have done by now- pretty pathetic really- the business we have done seems decent enough but we are desperately short in attacking areas- we need another 4 in the door at least and there is no excuses for it- weve had the maddison money confirmed for weeks- 90% of the new additions should have been in the door by now and the if any of the wanted lads were sold last minute we could do what business we need to late in the window- I dont even know who to blame for it anymore but its not good and next sunday is coming far to quickly

Yes, 8 players in 4 weeks - in the first month of the TF window opening, that would be simple...

If only....

1000_F_253627675_RxEtI3zfjzOFzeozlGzAWlMTEejt4MbL.jpg

10 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

You're living in a fantasy world -  maresca only came in on june 16th, we only sold maddison on the 28th june - so the first month was never going to see any activity - it's really only four weeks.

Maddison and barnes were not sold on the cheap.  You have no idea which players Maresca wants to shift, or what we are doing with a view to shifting said players.

We've brought in players that fill very specific core roles - technically and psychologically - the club clearly has learnt something from last year, they are targeting players to play in a specific way, and with specific personalities - you only have to compare the like for like acquisitions of Faes and Coady to see that they have learnt something. 

What do you really believe we should have achieved by this stage - 10 new players? - it's hopelessly unrealistic, the market isn't that simple.

So your reason for us being hopelessly slow on the squad rebuild is that we were hopelessly slow to appoint a manager.

Makes sense Jon. Thanks. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

So your reason for us being hopelessly slow on the squad rebuild is that we were hopelessly slow to appoint a manager.

Makes sense Jon. Thanks. 

I don't think we've been hopelessly slow in either factor.  :dunno:

Season about to start, we still look like sh*t, everyone on here still thinking this is fine? Deluded. Can't believe so many on here haven't learnt a single thing about this club in the last 2 years lol

"We'll be fine"

"HMS Piss The League"

Good luck with that.

Edited by SecretPro
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Season about to start, we still look like sh*t, everyone on here still thinking this is fine? Deluded. Can't believe so many on here haven't learnt a single thing about this club in the last 2 years lol

"We'll be fine"

"HMS Piss The League"

Good luck with that.

We need a creative CM and a RW, assuming that the LW has already signed. 

The spine of the team is there, we only need two players.

My hunch is that we plan to get two specific players on loan, and we're waiting for their clubs to finish their preseason before deciding whether to let them go or not. 

We may not be ready for Coventry, and that is slightly disappointing, but it's not the end of the season, and certainly not the end of the world. 

If we haven't got these two players in by the end of the window, then we can panic.