Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Rebuild Paused

3 hours ago, SecretPro said:

All gone a bit flat...

Do we think there is a general acceptance that we are not in a position to do the business we want to? Will Maresca be happy with the business he's done?

I think   he is happy with þhe business he has done so far ,but still need another 4 imo 

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

It's now been basically a week since we've known for certain Harvey is leaving. We've lost 2 creative players in Maddison and Youri and known their qualities have needed replacing.

I do wonder how many times certain people can make exuses and say trust the club before they accept they might have backed the wrong horse and admit it's a shambles

But to extend your metaphor, suggesting it's a shambles and failing to trust the club is like tearing up your betting slip half way through the race because your horse isn't ahead.

There's a fine line between making excuses and identifying possible reasons, for example the Mavididi deal seems to be delayed over nothing more than agree a payment schedule, which must happen on a lot of deals - that's not an excuse, that's a perfectly good reason.

Other than that, where is the issue? -  they got the deals they needed for madders and barnes, the CB they wanted, the #6 they wanted, the LB they wanted and the keeper they wanted - it's hard to imagine this window, given where we're at timewise, having gone much better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No, I don't think it's paused. We know that a lot of deals get done late in the window

Plyaers are back in training and Minds are focused with the deadline approaching.

I just hope we learned our lesson from the Bertrand and Vesty debacle.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

No, I don't think it's paused. We know that a lot of deals get done late in the window

Plyaers are back in training and Minds are focused with the deadline approaching.

I just hope we learned our lesson from the Bertrand and Vesty debacle.

And even then, bertrand looked good in pre-season before his injury, so we'll never know; and vestergaard wasn't planned but was a last minute reaction to losing fofana.

1 hour ago, lcfcsnow said:

Rodgers had been chasing him for 12 months

be that as it may be, he didn't plan to buy him at that point - he didn't plan to buy any defenders at that point, which is why it's not necessarily fair to judge it as a deadline day deal...

2 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

And even then, bertrand looked good in pre-season before his injury, so we'll never know; and vestergaard wasn't planned but was a last minute reaction to losing fofana.

Rodgers had been looking at Vestergaard a lot longer than a last minute panic.

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Rodgers had been looking at Vestergaard a lot longer than a last minute panic.

as i replied elsewhere, given that we were specifically talking about leaving signings to the last day of the window:

be that as it may be, he didn't plan to buy him at that point - he didn't plan to buy any defenders at that point, which is why it's not necessarily fair to judge it as a deadline day deal...

10 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Vestergaard was signed a year before we sold Fofana so hardly a last minute reaction.  

If we go into the season light on players I hope the hyper-rational set on here eat their words. 

Last summer posters were coming out with similar sentiments and look how that ended up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

How many more players do we need before deadline day?

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 - a winger or 2 and a 10 to fill Maddison's role. 

Edited by StanSP

16 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

It is all about the food chain.

First of all, we need to get some cash in. Selling Maddison (38m) allowed us to spend 24 million odd on Winks, Coady, Doyle and Hermansen and bank 14m to help balance the books.

Barnes (40m) is going to give us another cash injection and I expect us to make 3 or 4 more signings. 

We have sent double the next highest-spending team in the league Southampton (10m)

We have already spent more than the second high-spending team last season Watford. (15m), I expect us to outspend Burnley who last season spent (32m) 

We have spent more already than the high-spending Championship team in these seasons. 

Fulham 21/22 (19m)

Forest 20/21 (13m) 

I also suspect we are having to wait on players who may still be hoping for a PL move rather than coming to us, we may not always be their first choice.

Not sure that perspective says much as I don't recall any of those sides selling £80m+ worth of players and freeing up around £3-400k/week in wages.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimJams said:

Is there a Maddison role in Marsecas system? I hope not because if whoever that 10 is gets injured then it tends to fall apart.

Unless we're getting 2....

No, not really. I suppose it will depend on the players he will have available, but it should be with two wingers, two 8s, a 6 and an inverted fullback when in possession.

6 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

You’d think a manager gets a feel for what’s missing in the side by pre season games 

You’d need games …… 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think we need to move more players on before we can buy. Yes we've made money from our outgoings but we have to many players for certain positions eating into our wage bill. 

I'd imagine that there has been priority signings, which I think we've done. Then a natural pause as the new team looks at what we've got. They only started a few weeks ago themselves. All while those who look after transfers are doing the ground work on potential deals (I hope). 

I expect there will be a few more transfer twists. We will lose a few more and gain a few before deadline day.

And you never know... Under a new team we might yet see Ndidi back to his best or Veste looking like the signing we thought he'd be. 

It's the hope that kills you 

3 hours ago, Foreverfox said:

Vestergaard was signed a year before we sold Fofana so hardly a last minute reaction.  

Oh come on, if you're going to try to be a smart aleck, at least pay attention. He was signed when Fofana broke his leg in aug, just before the season started. :doh:

• Like 1