Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Rebuild Paused

We sold Madders then had a bit of a binge. I assume we've sold Barnes and there'll be a bit of activity. We tend to fixate on a deal at a time. Something is obviously holding the Mavididi deal up but I assume it's quibbling over some specifics with Montpellier. 

Once it's done I imagine there'll be a couple of rumours about our next priorities, a right winger and a centre mid. 

I do think we're likely to spend less of the Barnes money than we did with Maddison though as I'm sure we'll have to pocket some of it to cover expenses unless we can move on some of the dross. 

• Like 2

how i see it is if you are buying players at the minute you are willing to pay what the clubs want. You see them as key players and that you are willing to pay the asking price (usually overinflated) 

The closer it gets to the transfer window closing the cheaper the player becomes. 

It is the same with the players we have on the books that will clearly be moved on. Clubs have come in low, we wait and basically play a game of chicken. 

Is it right? probably not (especially with our track record) but with every million saved its a million closer to our goal. 

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Whilst true, we quite obviously have a couple of glaring holes that desperately need a patch ASAP so I can understand some anxiety. 

True. I imagine the club are working on 2 or 3 deals so the temporary silence is nothing to panic about. Just don't see the need to overreact just because it has been quiet. Maybe some deals we were working on and players have chosen elsewhere, so now having to work on different plans or targets. 

• Like 1

Is it naive to assume we could work on more than one deal at a time? 

Perhaps something is holding up the stephy deal and that means we will be going for target A or target B depending on if that gets confirmed. A nacho deal is in the pipe line so we will hold off on someone like Piroe until that is confirmed. As for an AMC or right winger, I hope we are not putting every into a palmer, Bobb, diallo and come out with nothing. 

im not sure really but I know we desperately need some creativity and sooner rather than later. 

It is all about the food chain.

First of all, we need to get some cash in. Selling Maddison (38m) allowed us to spend 24 million odd on Winks, Coady, Doyle and Hermansen and bank 14m to help balance the books.

Barnes (40m) is going to give us another cash injection and I expect us to make 3 or 4 more signings. 

We have sent double the next highest-spending team in the league Southampton (10m)

We have already spent more than the second high-spending team last season Watford. (15m), I expect us to outspend Burnley who last season spent (32m) 

We have spent more already than the high-spending Championship team in these seasons. 

Fulham 21/22 (19m)

Forest 20/21 (13m) 

I also suspect we are having to wait on players who may still be hoping for a PL move rather than coming to us, we may not always be their first choice.

• Like 2

Mavididi will come in and then I think we'll move onto loans.

Clubs want their talents to join them on their pre-season tours before getting loans.

I think we'll have another 4/5 through the door come the end of August and I think 3/4 will leave too.

• Like 2

I also suspect we are trying to punch above our weight in the market to try and secure the top targets and give ourselves the best chance to gain promotion.

due to our Championship status my guess is that quite a few of our targets are assessing all options before deciding to take the step down so we’ll just need to be patient whilst the domino’s fall into place.

Edited by kingpower
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I also suspect we are having to wait on players who may still be hoping for a PL move rather than coming to us, we may not always be their first choice.

This is a key point that some seem to be completely missing. Some players will be made available when their clubs bring in others so that creates a waiting game. Then there's players who will wait until the end of the window for the very best option they think they can get. They won't all jump straight to us if they're holding out for a club higher up the chain. And in fairness, they're the players you want to a large degree as they're players who back themselves as being good enough.

• Like 2

We've made 7 permanent signings this season and last despite needing 2 rebuilds.

Burnley have signed 23

Southampton - 16

We're a bit slow generally. We needed a rebuild last summer, Faes and Smithies were the only incomings. We didn't have a HoR in place, then we hit January and our first signing was Kristiansen, 3 weeks in.

• Like 2

I think LCFC have done a pretty decent job in this window so far but obviously have more work do do. The unknown factor now is the outgoing. Difficult to shop for replacements if we don't know who we are replacing.

27 minutes ago, 80footgiraffe said:

We usually work until Deadline Day and with the amount of changes we need to make I’d try and be patient. Nothing we can personally do to affect it, just enjoy the ride. 

We've been known to make a signing after the deadline too...

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, DezFox said:

Is it naive to assume we could work on more than one deal at a time? 

Yes!

But don't worry, it's all in hand. Rudders will be picking up fresh paper for the fax machine at duty free when he flies back from Singapore.