Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Rebuild Paused

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It's now been basically a week since we've known for certain Harvey is leaving. We've lost 2 creative players in Maddison and Youri and known their qualities have needed replacing.

I do wonder how many times certain people can make exuses and say trust the club before they accept they might have backed the wrong horse and admit it's a shambles

It can be/is a shambles but at the same time, people can still hope (not trust) that deals are being worked on. Doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. 

• Like 1

I'm utterly bemused by the fans who seemingly want a player a day. Business up until now seems to have been well considered and with a specific tactical approach in mind. Every time someone whinges about us not being in for a player, are they aware that we may well have been after them and they just didn't want to come here or the deal would have been too much?Seems to me that we've taken a pretty measured approach so far compared to the clusterfeck approaches under Rodgers. Ship a player out, have another player in mind to replace them and so on. Yes, we've yet to get wingers or creative midfielders in but I'm sure Maresca has some in mind and that we'll get a few more over the line in the next week. 

Our perceived lack of action is probably as much around the club's uncertainty as to who might go in the next couple of weeks. And an unwillingness to panic buy and end up with another Bertrand or Vestergaard. And that we're waiting on other clubs to bring someone in before they'll sell to us. I appreciate that people will say that we should have got these players in sooner so they can bed in and get used to Maresca's system, but after the Thai trip debacle, I'm thinking it's not so bad that they didn't sign before then. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It can be/is a shambles but at the same time, people can still hope (not trust) that deals are being worked on. Doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. 

As I've mentioned a few times recently we've not signed a decent forward for 7/8 years, seem frightened at the thought of a RW since Mahrez and now we've got to replace Tielemans, Maddison and Barnes goal output. 🫠

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It's now been basically a week since we've known for certain Harvey is leaving. We've lost 2 creative players in Maddison and Youri and known their qualities have needed replacing.

I do wonder how many times certain people can make exuses and say trust the club before they accept they might have backed the wrong horse and admit it's a shambles

From the updates we were getting about Barnes it took Newcastle nearly 2 weeks to go from in talks with us to actually announcing him, and that was just in the public eye

It will have been going on for a lot longer than that

Even clubs like Newcastle who do appear to actually have their shit together and a decent board setup can take weeks to actually sort a deal out for a single player with nothing else going on

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

From the updates we were getting about Barnes it took Newcastle nearly 2 weeks to go from in talks with us to actually announcing him, and that was just in the public eye

It will have been going on for a lot longer than that

Even clubs like Newcastle who do appear to actually have their shit together and a decent board setup can take weeks to actually sort a deal out for a single player with nothing else going on

Hmmm could that be because we was the other side of the deal though?

3 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Hmmm could that be because we was the other side of the deal though?

Took them around the same amount of time publically with Tonali

Edited by moore_94

27 minutes ago, filbertway said:

how about we wait till the season starts and see what effect the manager has and the remaining signings in and out.

The Championship is not a one horse race we have 46 games to get through

1 hour ago, Foreverfox said:

No signing for 5 days. Dam. We are doomed.  Marasca out. 

Some people love a good whinge or reason to make a post. I'd rather we scout and wait rather than rush and end up with with tosh!

1 hour ago, goose2010 said:

how i see it is if you are buying players at the minute you are willing to pay what the clubs want. You see them as key players and that you are willing to pay the asking price (usually overinflated) 

The closer it gets to the transfer window closing the cheaper the player becomes. 

It is the same with the players we have on the books that will clearly be moved on. Clubs have come in low, we wait and basically play a game of chicken. 

Is it right? probably not (especially with our track record) but with every million saved its a million closer to our goal. 

So to sum up...

If we are the buying club the closer to the end of the window the cheaper the players will be.

If we are the selling club the closer to the end of the window the more expensive the players will be

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bablemikey said:

I’m expecting a busy last day of the window.

The last busy day we had was when we brought in Soyuncu and Benkovic on deadline day, we very rarely do business on deadline day

We did try and spunk 150k p/w on Jack Harrison last January when apparently we didn't have a pot to piss in

14 minutes ago, lanefox said:

The last busy day we had was when we brought in Soyuncu and Benkovic on deadline day, we very rarely do business on deadline day

We did try and spunk 150k p/w on Jack Harrison last January when apparently we didn't have a pot to piss in

Faes last summer was on deadline day. 

12 minutes ago, lanefox said:

I’m aware of that but we’ll be looking to bring in a number on loan for this campaign & the end of the window will be when those opportunities arise.

47 minutes ago, foxpleasure said:

So to sum up...

If we are the buying club the closer to the end of the window the cheaper the players will be.

If we are the selling club the closer to the end of the window the more expensive the players will be

Hit the nail on the head. 

Massive game of chess basically. 

Edited by goose2010

3 hours ago, goose2010 said:

how i see it is if you are buying players at the minute you are willing to pay what the clubs want. You see them as key players and that you are willing to pay the asking price (usually overinflated) 

The closer it gets to the transfer window closing the cheaper the player becomes. 

It is the same with the players we have on the books that will clearly be moved on. Clubs have come in low, we wait and basically play a game of chicken. 

Is it right? probably not (especially with our track record) but with every million saved its a million closer to our goal. 

So the players on our books, that we don't want, their values will rise as the window nears it's end.

But other teams' players, that are in demand, their value will drop as the window nears it's end.

Not sure on this logic.

@foxpleasure beat me to it.

Edited by wardyfox86

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

We sold Madders then had a bit of a binge. I assume we've sold Barnes and there'll be a bit of activity. We tend to fixate on a deal at a time. Something is obviously holding the Mavididi deal up but I assume it's quibbling over some specifics with Montpellier. 

Once it's done I imagine there'll be a couple of rumours about our next priorities, a right winger and a centre mid. 

I do think we're likely to spend less of the Barnes money than we did with Maddison though as I'm sure we'll have to pocket some of it to cover expenses unless we can move on some of the dross. 

There definitely seems to be an inclination to try to make this transfer window as low key as possible - no fancy welcome videos, appearing to confirm deals and then making announcements almost under the covers - it does make sense, there's no point making ourselves any more of a target than we already are by being brash and flash; especially as we are, by championship standards, spending a fair bit of money.

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Whilst true, we quite obviously have a couple of glaring holes that desperately need a patch ASAP so I can understand some anxiety. 

But given how important those deals are, it feels better to make sure we get the right players in - especially given the panicky deals we've made in these positions in the past - i'd be more anxious if we'd already got 4 new wingers through the door.

3 hours ago, DezFox said:

Is it naive to assume we could work on more than one deal at a time? 

Perhaps something is holding up the stephy deal and that means we will be going for target A or target B depending on if that gets confirmed. A nacho deal is in the pipe line so we will hold off on someone like Piroe until that is confirmed. As for an AMC or right winger, I hope we are not putting every into a palmer, Bobb, diallo and come out with nothing. 

im not sure really but I know we desperately need some creativity and sooner rather than later. 

It's naive to assume that we're ONLY working on one deal at a time.

I mean we've already seen a double swoop for coady and winks.  Just because the next two signings and mavididi are isolated targets doesn't mean that we are only working on one at a time, it just means that when a deal happens it happens, and it's less likely that deals coincide, especially over such a long window.

• Like 1