Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

All Ireland Final 2023 (GAA) - On BBC2 at 3.30pm today

Worth a watch if you've never seen Gaelic football before. 82,000 in attendance, all players are amateurs.

Its a fitting final between Dublin and Kerry, who are probably the Man Utd and Liverpool of GAA. 

The commentators will be commenting in mind of a UK wide and Irish crowd so they will explain things as they go on.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 4

That wasn’t the most free flowing attacking Gaelic Football match but given the occasion and very wet conditions with a ball like a bar of soap the commitment and fitness levels on show was phenomenal. . Could have gone either way but Dublin just about deserved it ...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Is there a fan culture in GAA? Like are Dublin posh boys and Kerry working class rural guys?

No fan culture per say.....The posh Dublin boys all play rugby😜......a lot of the Dublin players play their club football for teams in very much working class parts of the city...Similarly a lot of Kerry players and players for other rural counties would be from well heeled backgrounds . The GAA is open to all 

7 minutes ago, irishfoxkev said:

No fan culture per say.....The posh Dublin boys all play rugby😜......a lot of the Dublin players play their club football for teams in very much working class parts of the city...Similarly a lot of Kerry players and players for other rural counties would be from well heeled backgrounds . The GAA is open to all 

That’s what we like to hear!

very much enjoyed that game today!

Missed it yesterday as I was playing cricket, but great to see it getting a wider audience. Always had a fondness for it since playing on a Stag in Dublin.

Had a chat to the captain of Leicester GAA in Duffy's a few years ago. Seemed keen to try and get more people to play, regardless of whether they were from Irish backgrounds or not.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Watching it reminded me of watching the AFL back in the day.  I wonder if theres any aussies playing in the irish league and vice versa?

There are examples of ex GAA players going to AFL but not the other way. Simply because GAA is amateur and AFL is pro. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

I really love Martin O'Neill's gaelic football tales. Here's one from when he was only six years old, traveling with his family to see his brother play in the final at Croke Park:

I have never forgotten the journey. We picked up these two women from Derry who were magnificent singers. Through every county we passed each time we hit the county the girls would sing the appropriate song for that county.

19 hours ago, irishfoxkev said:

That wasn’t the most free flowing attacking Gaelic Football match but given the occasion and very wet conditions with a ball like a bar of soap the commitment and fitness levels on show was phenomenal. . Could have gone either way but Dublin just about deserved it ...

First time I have watched. Was struck by the speed and skill required. Enjoyed it