Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

Rugby World Cup 2023

Welsh ex-players PoV..very interesting and well balanced..

Alun Wyn Jones admits Wales dodged a bullet against Fiji, while former Ireland internationals Rob Kearney and Andrew Trimble questioned the officiating.

Speaking on Virgin Media Sport, Kearney and Trimble questioned why the referee, Matthew Carley, didn't give Wales a yellow card during the final stages of an epic Test match after Warren Gatland's men were caught repeatedly infringing. The two Irish pundits were baffled at how Fiji openside Lekima Tagitagivalu had been sent to the sin bin just moments earlier but when Wales infringed on their own line they received nothing more than a warning.

Wales ended up winning 32-26 to get their Rugby World Cup campaign off to a winning start, while Fiji need to bounce back against Australia next weekend.

"It did feel wrong," said Trimble. "The nature of the penalty was different.

"That maul was basically hurtling towards the Fiji line.They were all cynical.
"Dan Biggar's when he was offside, that was pretty cynical. They (Fiji) were getting quick ball, they were in good shape, and then to have four of them (penalties).

"The warning came after the fourth penalty. We need to bear in mind we didn't watch this game as neutrals, we watched it as Fiji fans, and it didn't feel right."

Former Leinster full-back Kearney went on to question the referee's fairness.

"I may be wrong and I have no way of proving this but I don't think Fiji get the same treatment on their line. It was four penalties, and on the fourth one it was 'okay boys that's your warning now."

Toulon second-row Jones, who retired from international rugby on the eve of the Rugby World Cup, admitted Wales got out of jail late on

"What we didn't get was a team warning and that's what you usually get for offsides of infringements, and he didn't even say that on the fourth. So, I thought we definitely dodged a bullet because the amount of times, accumulatively in both halves, they spent in the 22.

"So, I was surprised. Don't get me wrong you get the luck of the draw sometimes and the bounce of the ball but I thought we were lucky we didn't get a card at that point."

Edited by fuchsntf

Let me once again point out,this is not Welsh bashing..there has been too many inconsistencies through the first W.Ends world cup on major issues..That said Rugby refering has still proven,Players respect in game towards ref, and most descisions have been correct it's just maybe because of TV angles,officials info exchanges TMO are up for the obvious scrutiny..

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Welsh ex-players PoV..very interesting and well balanced..

Alun Wyn Jones admits Wales dodged a bullet against Fiji, while former Ireland internationals Rob Kearney and Andrew Trimble questioned the officiating.

Speaking on Virgin Media Sport, Kearney and Trimble questioned why the referee, Matthew Carley, didn't give Wales a yellow card during the final stages of an epic Test match after Warren Gatland's men were caught repeatedly infringing. The two Irish pundits were baffled at how Fiji openside Lekima Tagitagivalu had been sent to the sin bin just moments earlier but when Wales infringed on their own line they received nothing more than a warning.

Wales ended up winning 32-26 to get their Rugby World Cup campaign off to a winning start, while Fiji need to bounce back against Australia next weekend.

"It did feel wrong," said Trimble. "The nature of the penalty was different.

"That maul was basically hurtling towards the Fiji line.They were all cynical.
"Dan Biggar's when he was offside, that was pretty cynical. They (Fiji) were getting quick ball, they were in good shape, and then to have four of them (penalties).

"The warning came after the fourth penalty. We need to bear in mind we didn't watch this game as neutrals, we watched it as Fiji fans, and it didn't feel right."

Former Leinster full-back Kearney went on to question the referee's fairness.

"I may be wrong and I have no way of proving this but I don't think Fiji get the same treatment on their line. It was four penalties, and on the fourth one it was 'okay boys that's your warning now."

Toulon second-row Jones, who retired from international rugby on the eve of the Rugby World Cup, admitted Wales got out of jail late on

"What we didn't get was a team warning and that's what you usually get for offsides of infringements, and he didn't even say that on the fourth. So, I thought we definitely dodged a bullet because the amount of times, accumulatively in both halves, they spent in the 22.

"So, I was surprised. Don't get me wrong you get the luck of the draw sometimes and the bounce of the ball but I thought we were lucky we didn't get a card at that point."

All of that is pretty much exactly what I've said already, even down to Kearney and Trimble checking and admitting their bias (which is good to hear.)

They're saying it themselves, the Fijian yellow card is for an obviously cynical offence with the maul going full tilt towards the try line. You just can't do that, it's so blatant and it gives the ref no choice. 

Meanwhile, yes you absolutely could argue that Dan Biggar ran deliberately, cynically offside to slow the game down and break up momentum but how do you prove that? There's no real framework in the rules for that, it's just offside and it's not a yellow card offence really in isolation. If he'd slapped the ball down or something then that's different but he didn't. 

And the paraphrased quote from AWJ in the opening paragraph is a little click baity and misleading because the full picture of what he's said is actually (again, as I said earlier) "the team didn't get a final warning until quite late." You don't get cards for those sorts of offences without the final warning. 

And as Kearney admits, they don't have a similar incident at the other end of the pitch to compare it to. Fiji's try line defence was so bad that we just crossed it every time we got that deep in their 22, their discipline was never a problem on the line because we pretty much just walked straight over it. The defending for the LRZ, North and Adams tries was quite frankly fvcking hilarious. 

So really all he's actually doing is using pure speculation to throw, quite frankly, really inflammatory accusations of bias at Carley which quite frankly makes Kearney look, at best, unprofessional and, at worst, completely bitter and silly on air. 

There's no reason what so ever to not assume that actually the complete opposite would be true and that actually Carley would have shown Fiji exactly the same patience he showed Wales if we spent ages camped out on their line because frankly - as I've said a shit tone of times now - he obviously just didn't want to send people to the sin bin if he could avoid it as he wanted the contest to play out 15 vs 15 (for the umpteenth time, it'll also be why Fiji survived two fairly hairy head shot calls.)

Fiji had a player carded because he did something stupid. Wales DID have a player carded for persistent offences, that's it. 

My only regret about this game is that it was the last one of the round because now it's all people are going to fvcking moan about all week lol

I'm sorry but we were better than them and so we won. It might not be what neutrals want to heat but cest la vie. It's baffling to me that more people (even English ones!) are talking about Fiji being robbed than England having a man sent off for an identical offence to one a South African completely got away with. 

Edited by Finnegan

38 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

All of that is pretty much exactly what I've said already, even down to Kearney and Trimble checking and admitting their bias (which is good to hear.)

They're saying it themselves, the Fijian yellow card is for an obviously cynical offence with the maul going full tilt towards the try line. You just can't do that, it's so blatant and it gives the ref no choice. 

Meanwhile, yes you absolutely could argue that Dan Biggar ran deliberately, cynically offside to slow the game down and break up momentum but how do you prove that? There's no real framework in the rules for that, it's just offside and it's not a yellow card offence really in isolation. If he'd slapped the ball down or something then that's different but he didn't. 

And the paraphrased quote from AWJ in the opening paragraph is a little click baity and misleading because the full picture of what he's said is actually (again, as I said earlier) "the team didn't get a final warning until quite late." You don't get cards for those sorts of offences without the final warning. 

And as Kearney admits, they don't have a similar incident at the other end of the pitch to compare it to. Fiji's try line defence was so bad that we just crossed it every time we got that deep in their 22, their discipline was never a problem on the line because we pretty much just walked straight over it. The defending for the LRZ, North and Adams tries was quite frankly fvcking hilarious. 

So really all he's actually doing is using pure speculation to throw, quite frankly, really inflammatory accusations of bias at Carley which quite frankly makes Kearney look, at best, unprofessional and, at worst, completely bitter and silly on air. 

There's no reason what so ever to assume that actually the complete opposite would be true and that actually Carley would have shown Fiji exactly the same patience he showed Wales if we spent ages camped out on their line because frankly - as I've said a shit tone of times now - he obviously just didn't want to send people to the sin bin if he could avoid it as he wanted the contest to play out 15 vs 15 (for the umpteenth time, it'll also be why Fiji survived two fairly hairy head shot calls.)

Fiji had a player carded because he did something stupid. Wales DID have a player carded for persistent offences, that's it. 

My only regret about this game is that it was the last one of the round because now it's all people are going to fvcking moan about all week lol

I'm sorry but we were better than them and so we won. It might not be what neutrals want to heat but cest la vie. It's baffling to me that more people (even English ones!) are talking about Fiji being robbed than England having a man sent off for an identical offence to one a South African completely got away with. 

It's actually a debate,we are basically agreeing on..Though other games are going through their various scrutinies,so Wales n Fiji game won't be taking all the flak.Last game or not Rugby mentality is to cover all corners & games,not just the last incidents..

But like all sorts you have the social-,media & Media that want to hammer their last take on controversies & mishaps..

Fiji "could" of won it,and underdogs copyright is their efforts stay longer in the memory,but they also conveniently forget the other teams great movements and bloody great defending.That enabled them to win the day..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

England just excepted the red card and Curry serves a 2 game ban with additional game suspended.

I guess they didn’t challenge it as if they lost the ban gets extended, so he misses Japan then Chile which probably answers why they didn’t challenge.

Yes if you are remorseful and have a good previous record tends to help .