Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

1 minute ago, Chelmofox said:

Didn’t feature season we were relegated. When bought Rodger’s pretty played a high line back 4 which didn’t fit his strengths. Once hung out to dry and came on for short cameos. There was a half decent one to get us into the europa conference semi. 

We have to be able to compete with the bottom half of the table. Bournemouth game is a good gushed for that. 

Wobbly  head fact. Jannik I’m has never been  choice in a team that got relegated. 

Bournemouths second string weren't it? Wouldn't get too carried away with that game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, adam said:

Bournemouths second string weren't it? Wouldn't get too carried away with that game.

Nope. Pretty strong actually. We rotated more than they did. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Didn’t feature season we were relegated. When bought Rodger’s pretty played a high line back 4 which didn’t fit his strengths. Once hung out to dry and came on for short cameos. There was a half decent one to get us into the europa conference semi. 

We have to be able to compete with the bottom half of the table. Bournemouth game is a good guage for that. 

Wobbly  head fact. Jannik I’m has never been  first choice in a team that got relegated. 

That should tell you everything. Wasn’t even good enough for a side that was doomed to be relegated!

6 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Didn't play a single minute in the league last season and the season before he played around the equivalent of just 6 games in th eleague under a manager who seemingly didn't want him straight after buying him

Personally not going to judge him on how he played under Rodgers

see above comment.

1 minute ago, adam said:

6 of them were first choice, and 3 of the others were regular back ups / rotation players

It was pretty strong - especially when ours was heavily rotated

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MPH said:

That should tell you everything. Wasn’t even good enough for a side that was doomed to be relegated!

Hey? Rodgers went crackers. Amartey featured most of the season. Brendan fell out with and ostracised 2 center backs, and depended on an aging sick note and his favourite but rubbish yes man. 

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MPH said:

see above comment.

When you consider the squad decisions Rodgers was making that season it doesn't really mean much about whether he was good enough or not tbh

Just now, Chelmofox said:

Hey? Rodgers went crackers. Amartey featured most of the season. Brendan fell out with and ostracised 2 center backs, and depended on an aging dick note and his favourite but rubbish yes man. 

But he was AWFUL before the previous season, what makes you think he has suddenly improved to play that season? Rodgers or not, he does not have the pace to play in the prem.  It’s mind boggling that people think, despite clear evidence to say otherwise, he’ll suddenly play well in the prem 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

When you consider the squad decisions Rodgers was making that season it doesn't really mean much about whether he was good enough or not tbh

Then what about the season before that when he was terrible? That should show wether he’s good enough for the prem… you know… the times when he did play in the prem?

2 minutes ago, MPH said:

Then what about the season before that when he was terrible? That should show wether he’s good enough for the prem… you know… the times when he did play in the prem?

Things can change though, bar the lack of pace

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

But he was AWFUL before the previous season, what makes you think he has suddenly improved to play that season? Rodgers or not, he does not have the pace to play in the prem.  It’s mind boggling that people think, despite clear evidence to say otherwise, he’ll suddenly play well in the prem 

Featured in 10 games and 2 of those for less than 1 minute. Rodgers moved to a high line back 4 exclusively. 

There isn’t really clear evidence at all when we play a completely different system now. 

Makes sense from a continuity point of view and because of the finances I guess. But seriously hope there's at least a couple of centre backs coming in and Faes going then (doubt it). Think Maresca should be brave with Nelson and try and play him more. Hopefully Coady forces his way in over pre season.

I'm not particularly confident about him as a defender in a premier league relegation battle team as we'll likely not have enough of the ball to the benefits of having him in the team.  

But saying that, I think Enzo is well aware of Vestergaards limitations, and if he still wants to keep him, then I'd go with Enzo's choice. 

• Like 1

He’s gonna have a new arse hole ripped in the Premier League.

But, can’t really begrudge him being offered a contract extension. He was bloody immense this last season. We’re going to be victims of his success last season, I’m afraid. Same can be said Enzo. Both be gone by January 

10 minutes ago, MPH said:

Even first game or 2 this season he was good awful. Had a really good season but people have overblown it and let's not pretend his role is so easy a lot of time when teams just let him sit on the ball.

As I said though, I think it kind of makes sense in our situation and maybe some confidence will make a big difference? Might be ok with a decent partner.

Though, as you rightly point out, the pace is scary. The goal Jackson scored against us in the FA Cup was probably the most laughably bad goal I've seen from a 1 on 1. Genuinely pissing myself as it was like watching an adult go and play in a kids game. It will happen again but hopefully he's protected from it happening often 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Featured in 10 games and 2 of those for less than 1 minute. Rodgers moved to a high line back 4 exclusively. 

There isn’t really clear evidence at all when we play a completely different system now. 

change of system won’t give him pace neither will it stop us getting mauled by rampant prem attacks with him being the one exploited. 

Just now, MPH said:

change of system won’t give him pace neither will it stop us getting mauled by rampant prem attacks with him being the one exploited. 

Will every team in the bottom half have rampant attacks?

You can get away with him in a deep block scenario v Bournemouth but you’ll consistently get teams put the ball in the channels on transition and expose his lack of pace there as Chelsea did. I don’t think you need to be a particularly great team to do that either. We were street smart v Bournemouth but silly collectively v Chelsea 

Id say no - the telegraph article worries me slightly but equally it might be realistically where we are financially 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Will every team in the bottom half have rampant attacks?

In comparison to the championship, yes. Much better quality of players in the prem even in the bottom half!

Edited by MPH

18 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

You can get away with him in a deep block scenario v Bournemouth but you’ll consistently get teams put the ball in the channels on transition and expose his lack of pace there as Chelsea did. I don’t think you need to be a particularly great team to do that either. We were street smart v Bournemouth but silly collectively v Chelsea 

Id say no - the telegraph article worries me slightly but equally it might be realistically where we are financially 

We didn’t deep block them. We had more possession and more shots on target. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Does anyone else think he'll get slaughtered in the Premier League?

Yes. Isn't he one of the more higher paid players at the club? Traditionally, promotions are rewarded with pay increases. I hope his extension hasn't seen the same reward. Surely someone more rounded, e.g has pace, could be found on the same wage?

Edited by joeybside

16 minutes ago, MPH said:

In comparison to the championship, yes. Much better quality of players in the prem even in the bottom half!

Well yes - obvs this is a massive step up. But Jannik does have experience here as well and knows what its like. 

But you need to remember we aren't slotting into top 8 next year. The goal is anything 17th or higher. To do that we have to be competitive with anyone bottom half of the table, and cherry pick the odd sh1t house win against anyone in the top half whos having an off day. 

It's going to be grimmer than taking Katie Price on a date in Jaywick on Sea. Jannik will be useful against those sides who don't have Jackson / Foden or anyone else who is going to out run him. Although, i would put money on us playing deeper as we won't be playing in possession as much. There are going to be lots of games where he is exploited and attacked, like you saw with Jonny Evans the other night or you regularly see with many defenses in the PL. The key will be when it works, it will get us results. If he can help us to 10 wins and a few draws, then getting caught out in the other 20 or so games won't be the main issue.

This will be a compromise appointment. We have bigger issues further up the pitch to deal with where players are undoubtedly more expensive.