Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

30 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Well yes - obvs this is a massive step up. But Jannik does have experience here as well and knows what its like. 

But you need to remember we aren't slotting into top 8 next year. The goal is anything 17th or higher. To do that we have to be competitive with anyone bottom half of the table, and cherry pick the odd sh1t house win against anyone in the top half whos having an off day. 

It's going to be grimmer than taking Katie Price on a date in Jaywick on Sea. Jannik will be useful against those sides who don't have Jackson / Foden or anyone else who is going to out run him. Although, i would put money on us playing deeper as we won't be playing in possession as much. There are going to be lots of games where he is exploited and attacked, like you saw with Jonny Evans the other night or you regularly see with many defenses in the PL. The key will be when it works, it will get us results. If he can help us to 10 wins and a few draws, then getting caught out in the other 20 or so games won't be the main issue.

This will be a compromise appointment. We have bigger issues further up the pitch to deal with where players are undoubtedly more expensive.

And it’s one he’s failed at previously with us!

8 hours ago, MPH said:

But he was AWFUL before the previous season, what makes you think he has suddenly improved to play that season? Rodgers or not, he does not have the pace to play in the prem.  It’s mind boggling that people think, despite clear evidence to say otherwise, he’ll suddenly play well in the prem 

Different times, different coach.

I’m willing to give him a chance but he needs a partner with pace; whose first name isn’t Wout. 

19 minutes ago, Phenom said:

Let me go on a record that I think this is a bad decision. Hope I’m wrong

It could well be, but both manager and player probably deserve the chance to cock it up. This and coupled with the fact we have many to replace, it might mean our hand is forced slightly because replacing what Jannik brought in the championship with a whole new player would be crazy expensive. Also those suggesting Nelson is just ridiculous as he is not yet capable of playing this "quarterback/pivot" role that was so important to this system.

Just now, fox_favourite said:

Ryan McGivern

He didn’t show any ability playing for Southampton in the Premier League, Internationally or at any point in the Championship. 

20 minutes ago, Sly said:

Different times, different coach.

I’m willing to give him a chance but he needs a partner with pace; whose first name isn’t Wout. 

Soyuncu then, he is free and highly rated from his Atletico days  :ph34r:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

We defended deeper than our norm for certain 

But that’s the point!!!!!! Bournemouth didn’t deep block us so we had to defend differently. But we still played our own game but we didn’t have 70% possession crowding their box. Like when we played Southampton or Norwich. We will undoubtedly setup differently. 

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Soyuncu then, he is free and highly rated from his Atletico days  :ph34r:

Apparently Madrid want rid and Fulham are interested for £20m-ish.

They’ll have two ex Leicester defenders in their back line that we let go for free then. 

3 minutes ago, Sly said:

Apparently Madrid want rid and Fulham are interested for £20m-ish.

They’ll have two ex Leicester defenders in their back line that we let go for free then. 

Who the other one we let go for free, because we sold Castagne for about 15 mil. 

8 hours ago, MPH said:

change of system won’t give him pace neither will it stop us getting mauled by rampant prem attacks with him being the one exploited. 

Did our system when we won the league help the lack of pace Wes and Huth had? It's on the manager to use the player correctly. 

The simple fact is, with what's likely to be a limited budget, it makes far more sense to keep what you have, than add another player to the list that you need to buy. 

• Like 3

No more than a 1-2 year contract, on modest wages.

To be fair to Vestergaard, he's been good this year, and Enzo will want to keep some of his promoted squad together - which I respect. His passing ability is important to us. Unfortunately - his absolute glaring weakness is his pace.

And that will cost us goals in the PL, make no mistake about it. 

Just don't play Faes next to him, we need to find a CB with some speed and ideally an athletic LB as well.

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

People mentioning his pace, do people not remember how awful he is in the air?

He can ping the ball about nicely but as a defender he's 6'5 of nothingness.

Do you agree

• he has been good this year?
  • he has been integral to how we played this year?
  • he has a skill set different to all other defenders we have with his defensive pivot capability?
    • Some skills are worse, some skills are better.

Think these are the pertinent questions, not individual low hanging fruit criticisms, as his skills would be extremely difficult to replace without breaking the bank, which we clearly are not in a position to do.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Do you agree

• he has been good this year?
  • he has been integral to how we played this year?
  • he has a skill set different to all other defenders we have with his defensive pivot capability?
    • Some skills are worse, some skills are better.

Think these are the pertinent questions, not individual low hanging fruit criticisms, as his skills would be extremely difficult to replace without breaking the bank, which we clearly are not in a position to do.

I'm not arguing that re signing Vestegaard is a bad idea but it's not like ball playing centre backs are a rarity in English football anymore. 

Ronnie Edwards at Peterborough has similar ball playing ability and would cost around 8-10 mil, which considering we spent similar on Coady it's not exactly breaking the bank.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

People mentioning his pace, do people not remember how awful he is in the air?

He can ping the ball about nicely but as a defender he's 6'5 of nothingness.

He's just in the air really ain't he, no good in it lol

He gets out jumped because he can't get off the ground and if someone is more mobile to get in front of him, or across him, or has a better leap, then he really struggles. It's no surprise he's chalked up so many yellows this season.

He doesn't even attack corners very well, but that might be down to the actual takers tbf.

Just now, honeybradger said:

I'm not arguing that re signing Vestegaard is a bad idea but it's not like ball playing centre backs are a rarity in English football anymore. 

Ronnie Edwards at Peterborough has similar ball playing ability and would cost around 8-10 mil, which considering we spent similar on Coady it's not exactly breaking the bank.

If we think Ronnie Edwards is of a comparable quality and would not deteriorate our play, then yes I agree it would be at least worth considering, and if I am on honest I do not know if Edwards is of the same quality.  Also agree that ball playing centre back are not as uncommon as once they were and it might be that Edwards also fills the gaps in Jannik's skill set  :dunno:

So I asked ChatGPT can you suggest a play leicester city should buy to replace jannik vestergaard?

and I got

To replace Jannik Vestergaard, Leicester City should consider a center-back who is both defensively solid and comfortable with the ball. Here are a few options:

1. Edmond Tapsoba (Bayer Leverkusen): Tapsoba is a highly-rated defender known for his athleticism and defensive capabilities. He has been a key player for Leverkusen under Xabi Alonso, demonstrating significant improvement and consistency (90min.com).

2. Gleison Bremer (Juventus): Bremer has been outstanding in Serie A, known for his strong defensive skills and ability to contribute to his team’s buildup play. He has been a standout performer for Juventus, and his style would suit the Premier League well (Squawka) (SPORTbible).

3. Ronald Araujo (Barcelona): Araujo is versatile, having played both as a center-back and right-back for Barcelona. He is strong, quick, and excellent in one-on-one situations, making him a robust addition to any defense (SPORTbible).

4. Alessandro Bastoni (Inter Milan): Bastoni is one of the most promising young defenders in Europe. He combines solid defensive skills with the ability to play out from the back, making him an ideal candidate for a team looking to build from the defense (SPORTbible).

Each of these players offers a blend of defensive solidity and technical ability that would enhance Leicester City's backline.

I clearly should have asked could and not should  lol

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

If we think Ronnie Edwards is of a comparable quality and would not deteriorate our play, then yes I agree it would be at least worth considering, and if I am on honest I do not know if Edwards is of the same quality.  Also agree that ball playing centre back are not as uncommon as once they were and it might be that Edwards also fills the gaps in Jannik's skill set  :dunno:

Ball playing wise he is definitely of the same quality, an accurate long pass in league one is the same as one in the PL and he's very fast with his feet for a defender. Defensively he's only had 1 season at championship level and has been good at league 1 level so it's hard to tell if he can match Vestergaard defensive ability. It's not like Vestergaard's defensive ability is solid PL level and Edwards is certainly faster, though not particularly fast. I could see Edwards potentially being a better defender than Vestergaard but we wont know until they play in the same league.

Edited by honeybradger

Just now, honeybradger said:

Ball playing wise he is definitely of the same quality, an accurate long pass in league one is the same as one in the PL. Defensively he's only had 1 season at championship level and has been good at league 1 level so it's hard to tell if he can match Vestergaard defensive ability. It's not like Vestergaard's defensive ability is solid PL level and Edwards is certainly faster, though not particularly fast. I could see Edwards potentially being a better defender than Vestergaard but we wont know until they play in the same league.

Based on that, I would buy him and play them together for a season to complement Edwards progression!