Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
isaidno

Snooker 2024

Well played Mark Williams, last frame was a bit scrappy but he was brilliant this evening. 

His reward for winning means that for the world championships he's in the same quarter as Judd and the same half as Ronnie.

• Like 2

Wasn’t much of a Williams fan back in the day, but since he won his third World Championship it seems to have changed him as a player, as pundits have said, he is playing some of the best Snooker of his career atm. 

This week has made the World Championship more interesting, as you’ve touched on @Nalis, the bottom half is looking brutal. 

Qualifying starts today Sheffield. 

They are offering £40k for a 147 at The Crucible this year, on top of the £15k highest break prize. 

I think we'll see one. There's been plenty of near misses in the tournaments recently. 

5 women playing today and tomorrow morning - Mink, Bai Yulu, Reanne Evans, Baipat and Rebecca Kenna. It'd be great to see one of them through to the main draw, but there are some good players qualifying this year. 

Lisowski, Bingham, Maguire, Vafei, Robertson, Gilbert, Day, Guodong. There's 8 already that really should be good enough to be one of the 16 to make it through.

Also looks like Martin Gould has pulled out as he was scheduled to play Jimmy White this morning but Jimmy has been given a walk-over to round 2.

Edited by The Bear

22 minutes ago, The Bear said:

5 women playing today and tomorrow morning - Mink, Bai Yulu, Reanne Evans, Baipat and Rebecca Kenna. It'd be great to see one of them through to the main draw, but there are some good players qualifying this year. 

Lisowski, Bingham, Maguire, Vafei, Robertson, Gilbert, Day, Guodong. There's 8 already that really should be good enough to be one of the 16 to make it through.

Also looks like Martin Gould has pulled out as he was scheduled to play Jimmy White this morning but Jimmy has been given a walk-over to round 2.

I remember Gould speaking about his mental health issues. His form has also nosedived so far he'll have to go through Q School to get back on the tour next season. Hope it's not mental health related but if it is I hope he gets the help he needs.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Dipped into the round 1 qualifiers for a few minutes here and there, quality looks piss poor, reckon I could even take a frame off some of this lot.

Most probably aren't pro I suspect.

Probably like the prelims of the FA Cup.

1 minute ago, Super_horns said:

Most probably aren't pro I suspect.

Probably like the prelims of the FA Cup.

Yeah you are right, almost half of them don't have a world ranking according to flashscore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Dipped into the round 1 qualifiers for a few minutes here and there, quality looks piss poor, reckon I could even take a frame off some of this lot.

Agreed. Really poor stuff off some of them. Particularly shot selection wise. 

Watching Moody vs Shehab, a painful slog so far.

Cutting the tour down to 80 from 128 would be justifiable, just too much dross between 81-128 in the rankings right now. 

On 07/04/2024 at 21:07, Nalis said:

The way Phil Yates presents a normal statement in the tone of an extremely surprising fact will never not be annoying.

Is Yates the one who makes absolutely insane comparisons? Eg “Llandudno once got hit by a 5ft wave in 1932, but now it’s Mark Selby who is feeling the splash of the tension” 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Is Yates the one who makes absolutely insane comparisons? Eg “Llandudno once got hit by a 5ft wave in 1932, but now it’s Mark Selby who is feeling the splash of the tension” 

Haha yeah that's the one. 

Where’s the best place to park for the crucible? Been given a ticket for a 1st round session. The q park they seem to push costs £21 for just a few hours. Seems like the only option though? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Milky said:

Very impressive. How many centuries?

Only the one unfortunately. I seem to have found some scoring form the last few seasons and made a 101 in the off-season last summer. Still my highest break. One more red on the table tonight and I could have beaten that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kingfox said:

McGill the biggest casualty in qualifying so far, first time he’ll miss the Crucible since 2014.

Good

Looking likely that O’Connor makes it to judgement day where he will play either Aaron Hill or Matt Selt, leads Leclerq 8-1. It’s about time the boy qualified for this. 

Louis Heathcote also makes it to judgment day where he faces Bingham, which is a much tougher ask. 

But hoping they both get there. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Bear said:

I've seen Joe a couple of times practicing with Gilbert in the club of an afternoon. Seems a nice guy. 

Hopefully they both make it. 

He’s a great lad. Very humble, down to earth and grounded. 

• Like 1