Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simster

Roma Away

2 hours ago, Sir Steve Howard said:

Couldn't disagree more with this. Randers was probably our best ever away end, Atletico was an absolute morgue.

Rennes and PSV were incredible ends as well. Yes we chopped it at Roma but far bigger teams than us have got done at the Olimpico.

Other than Randers were playing decent teams, much more difficult than West Ham had it last year. Think many people bought into the media snobbery over the conference league when in reality it's incredible.

"The PSV away game was nice" is possibly the understatement of the century. This is a real sign of how entitled our fans have become.

10 years ago I'd have given my right arm just to get into europe at all and now we've got fans saying a last minute winner away from home in a european competition was "nice".

I didn't mean as an away day experience. Glad you had fun. 

That whole season was ruined by the acknowledgement we had become everything we used to laugh at other clubs for being. Full of players who didn't give a shit and playing an awful style with no purpose in our play any more. Was a slow painful death and we were in a third rate European competition our own manager openly admitted to not even knowing what it was. 

Seeing Leicester walk out to a sold out Stadio Olimpico in a European semi final was a lifelong memory to treasure. Would love another season in Europe, or at least some fun pre-season games away. Argentina, Colombia, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan, Vegas are top of the list. 

I hope they don't bother with the Far East or Scunthorpe this summer

• Like 1

Yah i really enjoyed randers, felt like taking over a small market town like Market Harborough. We walked up to the stadium in rome, got in just before kick off. That atmosphere, full stadium with the roma song and flags,  it was immense.

6 hours ago, Sir Steve Howard said:

Couldn't disagree more with this. Randers was probably our best ever away end, Atletico was an absolute morgue.

Rennes and PSV were incredible ends as well. Yes we chopped it at Roma but far bigger teams than us have got done at the Olimpico.

Other than Randers were playing decent teams, much more difficult than West Ham had it last year. Think many people bought into the media snobbery over the conference league when in reality it's incredible.

"The PSV away game was nice" is possibly the understatement of the century. This is a real sign of how entitled our fans have become.

10 years ago I'd have given my right arm just to get into europe at all and now we've got fans saying a last minute winner away from home in a european competition was "nice".

We were actually quite unlucky with our draws. You compare it to West Ham's run and the fact we were away second each leg too. I think even 2022 Rodgers would've made the final at least with their run.

The seagulls had better watch themselves on the Rome metro. Pickpockets and muggers lurk there!

Rome wasn't really all that - horrible city, horrible fans (who set my coat on fire! 😯) and a horrible game. Enjoyed other trips that season on the European tour (Warsaw, Rennes and Naples included) far more.

Hope Brighton fans all make it back safely, and don't get ripped off at the airport like some City fans did!

2 hours ago, accessory said:

Warsaw

Reckon that was one last hurrah for a certain generation, a certain demographic.

There was 500 of us there, right? About 15 people wearing colours (potential suicide doing so) ....but I reckon 350 of that were male, 50 - 65 and originally from places like Eyres Monsell, Thurnby Lodge and the Saff. 

Was defo a 'throwback Thursday' 

8 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Feel like you're going off what PSV and ,to a lesser extent, what Roma used to be.

If you enjoyed it fair enough. I just felt like I could see everything unfolding in front of my eyes, and I'm not paid a six figure salary to oversee this shit.

In terms of teams we played in the CL, PSV and Roma are equal to all bar Atletico. Sevilla probably not far off the same 

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Reckon that was one last hurrah for a certain generation, a certain demographic.

There was 500 of us there, right? About 15 people wearing colours (potential suicide doing so) ....but I reckon 350 of that were male, 50 - 65 and originally from places like Eyres Monsell, Thurnby Lodge and the Saff. 

Definitely some old ‘faces’ on that trip. The plane out might as well have been a stag do 

• Like 1

I was hit by two pyrotechnics, one on my head and one on my back burning my coat, the second I reached the top of the stairs into the Away end and as others have said it seemed that no action was being taken.

I travelled independently and walked to the stadium from a hotel close by. I lived near Rome for a while and can pass for an Italian, I somehow, unawares, went to a home entrance, showed my (away) ticket and was let in. I had to go back I say “ Let me out I’m Leicester!” Nuts.

My main memory of Roma coming to our place was that instead of seeking out a local link for charlie, they necked hundreds of boxes of espresso beans and left the remains on the canal bank. Doesn't get much more Italian than that. lol

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sir Steve Howard said:

What they used to be? PSV currently smashing the Eredivisie and Roma made the final of the Europa League the year after winning Conference League.

It seems like your enjoyment of being in Europe - the highlight of supporting a club in my opinion and something many fans never get to experience - was tainted by you seeing the club declining from the previous years of challenging for the top 4. That's unfortunate.

Don't understand why you're looking down your nose at the conference league, it was and still is class, especially for match going fans. Rodgers can go fvck himself the arrogant moron.

It's easy to try and make that competition sound great now we have fallen so far, but we were the favourites to win the Europa League and suddenly due to that bunch of spineless individuals we were playing Randers. 

The biggest game that season was Forest, by a long way. Yet the whole team had were carrying this attitude that because they'd given us an FA Cup we should just be grateful for that and couldn't give an actual **** about what happens next because they're off soon anyway. 

And there's no one in that Europa Conference we should have lost to. The performance away at Roma was laughable. 

5 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

It's easy to try and make that competition sound great now we have fallen so far, but we were the favourites to win the Europa League and suddenly due to that bunch of spineless individuals we were playing Randers. 

The biggest game that season was Forest, by a long way. Yet the whole team had were carrying this attitude that because they'd given us an FA Cup we should just be grateful for that and couldn't give an actual **** about what happens next because they're off soon anyway. 

And there's no one in that Europa Conference we should have lost to. The performance away at Roma was laughable. 

What’s crazy is amongst all of that we battered forest at home 

4 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

We evidently have different ideas of what makes a competition great. I'm talking from the perspective of a fan who follows their team around Europe, the conference league is unrivalled. Randers is the best draw we've ever had. Did you go to any of the European games out of interest? Most of your comments mirror armchair man united fans who only care about winning (and calling competitions tinpot etc) rather than the experience of going to games. I think an unfortunate side effect of our success is that we'll see an increasing number of those type of fans, which could be linked to the crap atmosphere in recent years.

Forest biggest game of the season by far is mental, was an FA cup fourth round tie. We'll play forest again multiple times in the coming years. How many semi finals of a major European competition are we going to have in our lives? It's a major competition whether you like it or not by the way, look what winning it meant to Roma and West Ham.

As for there's no one we should have lost to, it's cup football; the best team doesn't always progress. That's why it's so good.

• Like 2

Expect to have your passport checked and be searched twice after entering the stadium.

Do not attempt to explain why have have a powerbank in your pocket while the plain clothes cop is talking to you. He was an aggressive thug who got who later got his face rearranged by those close to the fence when it kicked off later.

15 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Remember the club giving people free blue scarves with their ticket lol 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

After issuing a statement saying to avoid wearing club colours 😂😂😂

It was strange. Was like... thanks but... wtf are you doing. No idea what happened to mine. Think I just didn't take one.

6 hours ago, Chris_OGrady said:

Roma was the best home atmosphere I've ever been to

Roma very good, I really rated Rennes as well but Legia Warsaw was just unbelievable. It's the one time I've been to an away game and almost forgiven our fans for barely stringing a song together because you literally couldn't hear each other. Was great actually witnessing somewhere with such high expectation and it living up to it.

• Like 4

On 29/02/2024 at 20:20, Paninistickers said:

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

It was strange. Was like... thanks but... wtf are you doing. No idea what happened to mine. Think I just didn't take one.

Roma very good, I really rated Rennes as well but Legia Warsaw was just unbelievable. It's the one time I've been to an away game and almost forgiven our fans for barely stringing a song together because you literally couldn't hear each other. Was great actually witnessing somewhere with such high expectation and it living up to it.

I remember people on here saying Legia were insane. Imagine how loud it would have been there for a semi final! Might look to go over there for a game at some point. 

I was very, very impressed with Roma. I've been to two Milan derbies and they weren't as loud as that. Quite enjoyed just watching their fans tbh after our end gave up. Totally different to when I watched them in a league game vs Juve. 

Only other one I did that year was PSV who i thought were pretty poor by European standards (decent by English).

In the Champs League I thought Bruges were poor (obv game went against them), Copenhagen decent (good ultra end but not sure rest of ground would ever get rocking), Seville decent and Atletico good.

1 hour ago, Chris_OGrady said:

I remember people on here saying Legia were insane. Imagine how loud it would have been there for a semi final! Might look to go over there for a game at some point. 

I was very, very impressed with Roma. I've been to two Milan derbies and they weren't as loud as that. Quite enjoyed just watching their fans tbh after our end gave up. Totally different to when I watched them in a league game vs Juve. 

Only other one I did that year was PSV who i thought were pretty poor by European standards (decent by English).

In the Champs League I thought Bruges were poor (obv game went against them), Copenhagen decent (good ultra end but not sure rest of ground would ever get rocking), Seville decent and Atletico good.

Yeah agree with most of your assessment. I had far higher expectations for PSV, wondered if the acoustics were a bit of a problem but then I remember it having a couple of decent moments. Copenhagen were loud, them and Atletico the best in the CL. Sevilla's ultras boycotted against us, think they'd have possibly been the best if they hadn't, that place looks a pit at times. Spain seems to be quite bad for league games but has a real high ceiling in Europe.

On 29/02/2024 at 11:05, Paninistickers said:

We played Rennes, PSV and Roma! Lol... perfectly standard and well respected European brands. Feyenoord V Roma was a final with higher pedigree than Rangers v Eintracht. 

as someone else said, West Ham played garbage right up until the final

Brilliant European tour for me, the atmosphere in Rennes, the result in PSV and seeing my team in Rome…..loved every minute of it.

On 28/02/2024 at 11:26, Simster said:

Morning people, Brighton fan here.  Congratulations on your victory last night at the shoebox, and hopefully we'll join you after tonight.  Anyway, I'm on here because we play Roma away next week - exciting times.  However, I see you got 5,000 tickets which is the full away pen allocation but above the 3,500 minimum according to UEFA rules.

So was there widespread disorder in Rome that day?  I only ask because we've only been given 3,500 on police advice which is a pain in the arse for those of us who are on the points border for qualifying for a ticket.  Cheers.

Oh and whilst I'm here - any excuse for re-posting this absolute classic:

As others have said, the only thing you should be prepared for is either walking back to your hotel or getting a taxi as they will probably keep you in the ground until most of the public transport has stopped for the night and dump you at Termini