Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Healthy eating!

8 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Well, my point really (which I may nbot have expressed clearly) was that people who can afford fast food are not buying unhealthy because they can't afford healthy. I don't really want to get into discussion about how much less people have today compared with our parents, grandparents, great-grandparents etc.

It's not as simple as can they afford the food. Fast food can be cheap (at times) and is easily accessible. Just because a person could afford the £10 for your roast (your example above) doesn't mean they then have the relevant equipment to make it with utensils, utilities all costing significantly more. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

It's not as simple as can they afford the food. Fast food can be cheap (at times) and is easily accessible. Just because a person could afford the £10 for your roast (your example above) doesn't mean they then have the relevant equipment to make it with utensils, utilities all costing significantly more. 

Or can afford the energy bills required to run a cooker/oven (if they even own one!)

13 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

I don't think anyone would not cook food because of the energy the cooker will use lol 

Seriously? Plenty of people were looking for alternatives to their oven throughout the energy crisis, many people couldn't afford their energy bills and were going without

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/apr/26/we-stopped-using-the-oven-as-price-went-up-how-rise-in-energy-bills-is-hitting-uk-homes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Seriously? Plenty of people were looking for alternatives to their oven throughout the energy crisis, many people couldn't afford their energy bills and were going without

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/apr/26/we-stopped-using-the-oven-as-price-went-up-how-rise-in-energy-bills-is-hitting-uk-homes

Crazy, I think the average cost is between 17p to 59p per hour to run an oven.

41 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

In my experience with the Hinckley foodbank, there are some people that come in and only ask for food that can be microwaved as they have no other cooking facilities.

7 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Crazy, I think the average cost is between 17p to 59p per hour to run an oven.

Yes it's pretty awful when you realise this is a big cost to people who can't afford it, but so many people haven't got the spare money to cover the hike in energy prices when literally every penny was already accounted for

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

I don't think anyone would not cook food because of the energy the cooker will use lol 

Plenty of people requesting microwave meals at food banks 

@FoxesDeb beat me to it 😂

Edited by jgtuk
  • Like 1

It's probably also worth mentioning that a generation or so ago the woman was at home all day and had time to shop at different places to source the freshest and cheapest ingredients, and to then cook the evening meal. 

Since I had my children I needed to work, so time is precious in the evenings and many people turn to frozen or fast food out of necessity to get a meal on the table in the time they have.

The slow cooker is the working family's best friend, I couldn't have managed without mine when I was working with small children, but lots of people still have the misconception that they are only good for casseroles, which just isn't the case 

• Like 3

Let's get real for a second.  The people who are forced to eat processed crap food because they can't afford to switch an oven on are in a tiny minority of processed crap food eaters.  Most people eat so much crap because it's convenient and they are lazy (I'll include myself in there).

Fair play to @dsr-burnley to get 3 decent meals for about £10 + cooking expenses.

@FoxesDeb is probably onto something around household make up.

• Like 1

Just now, nnfox said:

Let's get real for a second.  The people who are forced to eat processed crap food because they can't afford to switch an oven on are in a tiny minority of processed crap food eaters.  Most people eat so much crap because it's convenient and they are lazy (I'll include myself in there).

Fair play to @dsr-burnley to get 3 decent meals for about £10 + cooking expenses.

Nobody is saying that is the only reason, it is, however, a legitimate reason. 

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

It's probably also worth mentioning that a generation or so ago the woman was at home all day and had time to shop at different places to source the freshest and cheapest ingredients, and to then cook the evening meal. 

Since I had my children I needed to work, so time is precious in the evenings and many people turn to frozen or fast food out of necessity to get a meal on the table in the time they have.

The slow cooker is the working family's best friend, I couldn't have managed without mine when I was working with small children, but lots of people still have the misconception that they are only good for casseroles, which just isn't the case 

We both work full time and eat home cooked meals.

The boy is bed now and I'm batch cooking pasta sauce for a much cheaper price than the most basic jars from the supermarket.

It's cheaper this way than processed food is and you are correct slow cookers are brilliant.

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

It's such a complex overall problem with numerous issues needed to be rectified. 

It's not just people being unable to afford food or paying bills etc 

Education on how to cook better food, the equipment to cook (utensils, appliances), the price of food/energy and then having the time/energy to cook.