Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Healthy eating!

So i don't think there is actually a topic on this - at least i couldn't find one....

Since November, i have lost 3 1/2 stone and the most part , its been about changing my eating habits and NOT about exercise. I still exercise when i can, but i wouldnt say its been the biggest contributing factor.. eating more healthily, has been.

This  Twitter thread brings up an interesting point... back in the 60s/ 70s/ 80s when weight was much much less of an issue, there were not all these different diet types, no keto diet, no vegan diet no, no adkins.. none of that. There was simply much more home cooking and much less  processed food.

Edited by MPH
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, MPH said:

If anyone has any cheap and easy healthy eating ideas, feel free to add them here!

One raw crushed clove of garlic a day. Leave for 10 minutes, then drink it down with water. Will do wonders for you long term!

9 minutes ago, MPH said:

So i don't think there is actually a topic on this - at least i couldn't find one....

Since November, i have lost 3 1/2 stone and the most part , its been about changing my eating habits and NOT about exercise. I still exercise when i can, but i wouldnt say its been the biggest contributing factor.. eating more healthily, has been.

This  Twitter thread brings up an interesting point... back in the 60s/ 70s/ 80s when weight was much much less of an issue, there were not all these different diet types, no keto diet, no vegan diet no, no adkins.. none of that. There was simply much more home cooking and much less  processed food.

https://x.com/realpungao/status/1778519387525226845

Congrats on that.

I yo yo a bit, and after a very busy year need to lose a stone which i am confident i can do.

The formula is easy. Consume less than you burn.  Diet fads over complicate the basics in my opinion. If you need to focus and knuckle down you can treat yourself still as long as you keep track of what you are eating over time.

I found exercise helps focus though, because when you understand how much hard work you have to put in to burn 200 calories, that Mars Bar feels pretty shallow all of a sudden!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

One raw crushed clove of garlic a day. Leave for 10 minutes, then drink it down with water. Will do wonders for you long term!

But that’s purely as you will never come into contact with another human again.

• Haha 3

Generally I eat healthily but I've got a pretty sweet tooth at times and have always enjoyed a treat after dinner like a sugary yoghurt or something. 

When I'm trying to lose a bit of timber as part of a regime I find jelly is a great, barely-any-calorie, filling treat. 

I make batches of 4-5 at a time, maybe with a bit of fruit. Keeps in the fridge for ages. 

• Like 1

As well as exercise, avoid processed foods, try to stay in calorie equity/deficit as required and drink plenty of water between meals. Meals should be vegetable heavy and portion sizes monitored.

• Like 1

My diet is pretty good, like many others I have a sweet tooth and get an urge for processed junk foods from time to time. Biggest defense I have found against this is to think about how eating that kind of stuff makes me feel, generally pretty rubbish and lethargic, plus it never tastes or makes me feel good as those initial temptations. I also noticed that after eating rubbish I was waking up the next day with those initial feelings of a hangover which was enough to concern me that somethings not right in the stuff that goes into these foods. Since doing this I've managed to fight lots of temptations and overall lost interest in eating this sort of stuff. Anything we have that we class as a treat now we make at home, whether thats fakeaway type meals or baked sweet treats etc.

• Like 1

I’ve lost about 4 stone over the best part of two years. I drink a lot of pints each week, probably 12-15. However, through not eating takeaways and simply eating 12 out of 14 meals a week at home, I’ve lost so much weight. Diet is the most important thing and making sure you are in a calorie deficit for weight loss, to then not eating processed food for generally feeling good is also important.

• Like 1

I went through a stage of trying to reduce eating ultra processed foods and managed to cut down a fair bit, completely stopped having ham, bacon and sausages and rarely have ready meals now but I still have bread (how to avoid this?), cheese, biscuits, crisps, cakes throughout the week. Not lots, I've always been a thin build but I need to eat and I'm not a skilled cook, so alot of dinners include frozen stuff from the supermarket. I also switched from milk to plant milk, but will occasionally will have normal milk with porridge.

Just now, lcfcsnow said:

I went through a stage of trying to reduce eating ultra processed foods and managed to cut down a fair bit, completely stopped having ham, bacon and sausages but I still have bread (how to avoid this?), cheese, biscuits, crisps, cakes throughout the week. Not lots, I've always been a thin build but I need to eat and I'm not a skilled cook. I also switched from milk to plant milk, but will occasionally will have normal milk with porridge.

Probably the only way to avoid processed bread is to make your own. Or buy from places like Hambelton’s bakery, green and blacks(Queens Road), or current affairs in town. It’s certainly an expensive or time consuming issue.

I am very Anglo in my tastes and love a bit of Brit-stodge. I also seem to have a pretty good metabolism, I'm almost constantly hungry. Lost my appetite last week with Covid-esque virus and looked half Somalian by the end of the week.  

Congrats on the weight loss! I lost 1.5stone between Sept & Dec (have piled it back on since having a kid lollol). Low calorie diets coupled with exercise works wonders.

But I changed what I ate during the week - low carb lunches with protein. And I do attribute some of it to exercise (lots of walking after work and over the weekends), but it was easier having lunches that kept me full til dinner, but changing the snacks I'd have. Replacing crisps with fruit/nuts etc again something to keep me fuller.

I used my friend's wedding in Sept as my final time to have a drink - I cut alcohol out and that also made a difference. 

I'd be quite disciplined as a lot of it is down to will power, too. 

Good luck though!

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

Prawns are a very underrated food.  Low calorie, low carbs, loads of protein, and nutrients.  Not that cheap but £/goodness it beats anything.

one of my favorite foods for sure. I absolutely love seafood  and there’s definitely worse things out there to eat!

...I'm not going out for wings, beers and other bad food tonight at all....

Moderation is key. If anyone has great resource links for moderate type diets without going full protein only or full vegan or full cake only please share :)

I struggle so much with meal ideas that work for us all at home. Sigh.

We don't drink too much, we don't eat too much, we have at least one meat free meal per week, I've discovered a lovely multi-bean curry and we have that regularly to replace meat or as a change midweek. Vegan Three Bean Curry - Cook With Manali

Add a muesli or even a fibrous breakfast cereal like Weetabix or even Shreddies, and add any fruits you like with soya milk or more tasty almond milk.

It doesn't take big changes to eat healthily. It's not like it's a weight loss diet.

Edited by Parafox
Link added

I've had issues on and off with weight most of my life but it tends to boil down to mental health.

If I'm in a good place mentally and making a conscious decision over what I'm eating then I eat more or less good nutritious foods and have a healthy BMI.

Unfortunately I have a tendency to compulsively eat as a way of managing stress or to binge eat while emotionally dysregulated.

As I understand it exercise isn't really a great way to lose weight but the benefits of an exercise regime are still huge. 

As a society it would probably help if we didn't allow capitalism to groom our children into becoming addicted to unhealthy foods. 

• Like 1