Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Healthy eating!

3 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I've had issues on and off with weight most of my life but it tends to boil down to mental health.

If I'm in a good place mentally and making a conscious decision over what I'm eating then I eat more or less good nutritious foods and have a healthy BMI.

Unfortunately I have a tendency to compulsively eat as a way of managing stress or to binge eat while emotionally dysregulated.

As I understand it exercise isn't really a great way to lose weight but the benefits of an exercise regime are still huge. 

As a society it would probably help if we didn't allow capitalism to groom our children into becoming addicted to unhealthy foods. 

This ⬆️.
We need reeducation regarding food choices, including eating ethically. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

We don't drink too much, we don't eat too much, we have at least one meat free meal per week, I've discovered a lovely multi-bean curry and we have that regularly to replace meat or as a change midweek. Vegan Three Bean Curry - Cook With Manali

Add a muesli or even a fibrous breakfast cereal like Weetabix or even Shreddies, and add any fruits you like with soya milk or more tasty almond milk.

It doesn't take big changes to eat healthily. It's not like it's a weight loss diet.

Is this the royal we? We as in you and I? We as in all of us on this thread? This has confuddled me as much as the poster who quoted my post in the holiday thread and started talking about a cancelled trip to HK ‘we’ were taking.

Good advice though 

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Is this the royal we? We as in you and I? We as in all of us on this thread? This has confuddled me as much as the poster who quoted my post in the holiday thread and started talking about a cancelled trip to HK ‘we’ were taking.

Good advice though 

We. ie. My wife and I. We're not yet royal family but we're working on it..

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jgtuk said:

This ⬆️.
We need reeducation regarding food choices, including eating ethically. 

Re-education is only a small piece of the puzzle. 

When you're struggling financially/mentally, the readily available and cheaper fast/convenient food is mostly always going to be taken above something requiring energy to make or more money.

It's all well and good knowing your choices aren't good, but if we aren't removing the boundaries to actually act on these choices then nothing will improve. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Re-education is only a small piece of the puzzle. 

When you're struggling financially/mentally, the readily available and cheaper fast/convenient food is mostly always going to be taken above something requiring energy to make or more money.

It's all well and good knowing your choices aren't good, but if we aren't removing the boundaries to actually act on these choices then nothing will improve. 

Fully agree. Food poverty is a real problem, just look at the offers and reductions in supermarkets, almost exclusively junk/processed stuff. Fast food outlets selling fries and a burger for a few pounds which make up 50% of the average daily recommended calories but contain lots of fats and sugar and very little of benefit. 
When I mentioned ethical food shopping, I was referring to people not understanding (or caring) where and how their food is produced. The prawn one is a good example (not going to go into detail here), in fact most sea food. 
I fully recognise that I’m in dangerous territory here as I know we all love a treat and it’s difficult to change long held habits. 

Eat whole foods as much as possible and minimise processed foods, refined carbs/oils & sugar. I've been following the mediterranean way of eating for about a year now and it's helped fix a lot of  health issues that i'd developed due to living like a hermit/ eating takwaways during the covid lockdowns - high colesterol, high blood pressure, pre diabetes, joint inflamation, aniexity   etc etc 

I'm definitely eating more veg now. Carrots, Broccoli, sweet potatoes, peas. So cheap too.

Trying to eat less meat too. I'm not vegetarian, just want to cut down.

I love a chilli, always used minced beef before.

Now l just use kidney beans(in chilli sauce), lentils, tomatoes, a pepper, chick peas (so underrated), smoked paprika & chilli powder. 

Edited by STEVIE B
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

I eat Salmon most days and never get bored of it.

Quite expensive but good for you apparently.

I heard that if you eat too much salmon it makes your hair go orange :ph34r:. Not sure if there is any evidence to back this up though  

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

As a society it would probably help if we didn't allow capitalism to groom our children into becoming addicted to unhealthy foods. 

whilst I do understand what your saying, I’d say it’s part of the problem for me to blame anyone but myself for what food I put in my mouth.  I should also shoulder the blame as a parent, for what I feed my children.

• Like 1

Massive respect for anyone taking control of their diet, whether to lose body fat or just to reach some other goal. I do think quality of food is massively important for health generally, but when it comes to losing body fat it really is about being in a consistent calorie deficit. Doesn't mean you have to count every calorie, although I do recommend doing this for say a week just to find out how much you're really consuming, it'll probably surprise you like it did me.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2024 at 09:38, jgtuk said:

Fully agree. Food poverty is a real problem, just look at the offers and reductions in supermarkets, almost exclusively junk/processed stuff. Fast food outlets selling fries and a burger for a few pounds which make up 50% of the average daily recommended calories but contain lots of fats and sugar and very little of benefit. 
When I mentioned ethical food shopping, I was referring to people not understanding (or caring) where and how their food is produced. The prawn one is a good example (not going to go into detail here), in fact most sea food. 
I fully recognise that I’m in dangerous territory here as I know we all love a treat and it’s difficult to change long held habits. 

Food poverty isn't caused by lack of money.  Roast Chicken, roast potatoes, boiled potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, cabbage, carrots, for Friday tea.  Chicken sandwiches on Saturday.  Broth on Sunday.  It didn't come to £10 for the lot, 9 meals, and there is still broth left over.  People aren't buying fast food because they can't afford a tenner for roast chicken.

If people don't have the time, or more likely don't have the inclination or the knowledge, to make "proper" meals, that's a different story.  Certainly the healthy unemployed have little excuse, though one useful public service would be to introduce free cookery classes for the helpless and hopeless.  (Basic cookery, not the complicated celebrity chef stuff.)

On an even more controversial note, perhaps, not everyone wants to eat healthily.  Nursing homes are full of thin people who ate healthily, and now can't remember their children.  Some people are more than happy to eat, drink and be merry, and take their chances.

Edited by dsr-burnley
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Food poverty isn't caused by lack of money.  Roast Chicken, roast potatoes, boiled potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, cabbage, carrots, for Friday tea.  Chicken sandwiches on Saturday.  Broth on Sunday.  It didn't come to £10 for the lot, 9 meals, and there is still broth left over.  People aren't buying fast food because they can't afford a tenner for roast chicken.

If people don't have the time, or more likely don't have the inclination or the knowledge, to make "proper" meals, that's a different story.  Certainly the healthy unemployed have little excuse, though one useful public service would be to introduce free cookery classes for the helpless and hopeless.  (Basic cookery, not the complicated celebrity chef stuff.)

On an even more controversial note, perhaps, not everyone wants to eat healthily.  Nursing homes are full of thin people who ate healthily, and now can't remember their children.  Some people are more than happy to eat, drink and be merry, and take their chances.

IMG_1648.thumb.jpeg.a6c5f9a2ab71bf0465f998ade4ecba12.jpeg

53 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

IMG_1648.thumb.jpeg.a6c5f9a2ab71bf0465f998ade4ecba12.jpeg

Well, my point really (which I may nbot have expressed clearly) was that people who can afford fast food are not buying unhealthy because they can't afford healthy. I don't really want to get into discussion about how much less people have today compared with our parents, grandparents, great-grandparents etc.

Edited by dsr-burnley

4 hours ago, Daggers said:

IMG_7618.jpeg.d656cd3e312948c67c95bf195976c3e5.jpeg

err…

IMG_7617.jpeg.d30178109cba181d5989b57e5ac0b72e.jpeg

BUUUUUUULLLLLLSSSSHHHHHIIIIIT.

It's possible of course that these people were cherry picked for this photo..

and im sure if we  actually looked at the numbers we'd see a massive weight change between then and now..

but im sure you know that.

7 minutes ago, MPH said:

and im sure if we  actually looked at the numbers we'd see a massive weight change between then and now..

image.thumb.png.99324a1dd6aae4989ca287e84507632b.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/333862/weight-of-individuals-by-gender-in-england/#:~:text=In 1998%2C the mean weight,of women was 71.8 kilograms.

It looks as though the average weight rose signifcantly up until 2010 and the rate of increase has slowed since. What can we blame that on?

10 minutes ago, MPH said:

I know that the statement ‘there were no fat people in the 60s’ is completely false. That was my point. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I know that the statement ‘there were no fat people in the 60s’ is completely false. That was my point. 

yeah ignore me chap i take life way too seriously.  lol . for someone who has been on FT for so long, im still no closer to being able top interpret exactly what people are saying!

• Haha 1

On 12/04/2024 at 15:53, lcfcsnow said:

I went through a stage of trying to reduce eating ultra processed foods and managed to cut down a fair bit, completely stopped having ham, bacon and sausages and rarely have ready meals now but I still have bread (how to avoid this?), cheese, biscuits, crisps, cakes throughout the week. Not lots, I've always been a thin build but I need to eat and I'm not a skilled cook, so alot of dinners include frozen stuff from the supermarket. I also switched from milk to plant milk, but will occasionally will have normal milk with porridge.

The brand Jason’s is about as clean as you’ll get - £2 or so a loaf but loads better, and they are Leicester based!