Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lako42

Why are our fans so passive

3 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

I think within this we lost a fair amount of passion in some fans with the league and cup win. You saw so many saying the likes of ‘I can die a happy man now’ or ‘yeah thats me done’.

If that part was true we'd be in a better place.

9 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Its sportswashing. They want to cling onto the "we've got the best owners" myth at all costs.

A positive, if you can call it that, is this no.longer applies. The off pitch mess, fully of our own making, is indefensible. The "be careful what you wish for" argument will fall down when we end up with the same issues and sanctions as those comparisons.

Our fans concerned by the running of the club in recent years have sadly proved to be spot on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

Puel got a lot of stick but that window of signing Maddison, Ricardo, Soyunchu and Evans is a good 50% of why Rogers was able to be succesful for 2 years. Id say it started about 2 years ago not last year, maybe 3 years ago that Bournemouth 4-1 result was. Id say we need to go back to signing a bit more obscure players Fatawu, Mavididi and Winks arent under the radar players neither is Coady.

puel had an eye for a good player at a good price, awful manager, but as a DoF he might be good?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I don't see a queue of people waiting to buy a club with 200 million debt, losing 90 million a year, points deductions on the cards and a fan base that 'wants to beat the traffic'. 

You would have to be a complete idiot to buy Leicester City, that or a fan. 

Whose fault is that 

2 hours ago, Nolucklcfc said:

Fulham of the midlands is why. 

Harsh on Fulham who's fans have actively been protesting ticket prices for the past couple of months.

Our fanbase wouldn't dare.

2 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Whose fault is that 

Its been growing for a number of years really, multiple people.

Sone of our fans who said we should be thankful for finishing 5th when others coukd see cracks forming. Rodgers for demotivating and destroying confidence in an FA cup winning Squad

Mainly Whealen and Rudkin. Top employs these people to do a job, they have failed to deliver, this will be the 2nd time, a chance a redemption. THEY HAVE TO GO!

Friday night summed a large part of our fan base up for me. Travelled all the way down to Plymouth to see us lose 1-0. As I turn round to walk away from the pitch I see a group of our fans clapping and singing along to the songs coming through the speakers. Proper heads gone moment for me.

I probably let results impact me more than I should, but surely after you've just seen that, knowing you have a 6 hour trip back home, you'd be a bit more down about it! It really is just something to do at the weekend for some isn't it. Not saying they aren't entitled to go to games, I just struggle to get my head round the mentality. 

• Like 4

On 13/04/2024 at 11:07, VG Fox said:

puel had an eye for a good player at a good price, awful manager, but as a DoF he might be good?? 

I keep hearing this about Puel, but managers don't make transfers anymore. The signings we made during his reign would have happened anyway, with the exception of Diabate.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gp96 said:

Friday night summed a large part of our fan base up for me. Travelled all the way down to Plymouth to see us lose 1-0. As I turn round to walk away from the pitch I see a group of our fans clapping and singing along to the songs coming through the speakers. Proper heads gone moment for me.

I probably let results impact me more than I should, but surely after you've just seen that, knowing you have a 6 hour trip back home, you'd be a bit more down about it! It really is just something to do at the weekend for some isn't it. Not saying they aren't entitled to go to games, I just struggle to get my head round the mentality. 

I was hoping Friday night's defeat would be our "Sheffield United" (March 1996 - Martin O'Neill) moment where the fans let the players and management know they weren't happy with the performances. This then lead to four straight wins to get us into the Play Offs (with Stevie Claridge!)

The fans don't seem to have demonstrated but hoping it can kick starts a run of four straight wins!

Shame I don't trust our current set of players/manager to have enough fight to do it - but I'm ever the pessimist they might....

It's the hope that kills you...

Edited by Newcastle_Fox

On 13/04/2024 at 10:28, Foxin_Mad said:

I love it when people say things like 'they should just sell up...now'. Yeah okay they have put in millions over the years and will continue to do so.

I don't see a queue of people waiting to buy a club with 200 million debt, losing 90 million a year, points deductions on the cards and a fan base that 'wants to beat the traffic'. 

You would have to be a complete idiot to buy Leicester City, that or a fan. 

They have made mistakes and if we don't go up there needs to be a massive clearout led by fresh faces but I'm not seeing many better options. 

We're still paying the price for the Rodgers era and overspending on wages etc...

IMO It's going to take a decade to recover from those mistakes so I don't see anyone new queuing up to take over the club in the short term.

On 13/04/2024 at 07:19, Beachyboy said:

Puel got a lot of stick but that window of signing Maddison, Ricardo, Soyunchu and Evans is a good 50% of why Rogers was able to be succesful for 2 years. Id say it started about 2 years ago not last year, maybe 3 years ago that Bournemouth 4-1 result was. Id say we need to go back to signing a bit more obscure players Fatawu, Mavididi and Winks arent under the radar players neither is Coady.

Abdul Fatawu is not an obscure player? You've name checked Ricardo, Soyuncu and Maddison (also Evans) who were all more of a household name than Fatawu. Last summer was more a nod towards the sorts of value for money and unproven but talented players but we have a long way to go to get back to being ahead of the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newcastle_Fox said:

I was hoping Friday night's defeat would be our "Sheffield United" (March 1996 - Martin O'Neill) moment where the fans let the players and management know they weren't happy with the performances. This then lead to four straight wins to get us into the Play Offs (with Stevie Claridge!)

The fans don't seem to have demonstrated but hoping it can kick starts a run of four straight wins!

Shame I don't trust our current set of players/manager to have enough fight to do it - but I'm ever the pessimist they might....

It's the hope that kills you...

That's what I'd hoped had happened at Bristol City where they were boo'd off and given stick. We then won the next 2 and we were back in a good position, only to lose to two horrificly bad teams.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That's what I'd hoped had happened at Bristol City where they were boo'd off and given stick. We then won the next 2 and we were back in a good position, only to lose to two horrificly bad teams.

There's a pattern though, isn't there? We're struggling badly in front of away crowds against teams that set up in a low block. At home we seem to be a different proposition - coming from behind and playing very well against Norwich and plugging away (despite not playing brilliantly) to eventually overcome a low block against Birmingham. 

West Brom and Southampton will attack us. It's likely that neither Preston nor Blackburn will have anything to play for when we face them, which may encourage them to try to put on more of an attacking show for their fans. It's very possible we won't face an ultra-defensive set-up like those deployed by Millwall and Plymouth again this season.

Two wins is probably all we'll need. I'm putting my money on us getting them. Then the analysis can begin on how the hell we go about trying to stay up next season....

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

On 13/04/2024 at 07:32, SemperEadem said:

This coupled with mentality and physically you find yourself in a space that largely feels poles apart from passion.

The ground is a shrine and an advert for a company thousands of miles away. Plus nearly everything else about the place is sterile, samey or like disneyland.
This must have an impact on is it really a space where you can get angry in.

Absolutely spot on. Look at how many people just hold out their hand and take a clapper as they walk in. Then check on the way out. Hundreds haven't even used it, they're still holding on to an unfolded one tucked into their programme. Win the game, lose the game clutch that valuable piece of memorabilia as if it was your first born on a battlefield.

There are no identifying features in our ground, the legends banner round the roofline was stripped off, we have no statues of players - not even Banks - no record of our honours or achievements. Our only two "special" areas honour the dead owner. It's a soul-less bowl. Everything is paint-by-numbers, the same thing season by season, comfortable and safe. Just a sterile match day experience that leads to passive supporters who see the club as a hobby not a pashun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It’s aggravating to see but it genuinely doesn’t confuse me at all this.

These will likely be the ‘supporters club’ types, for whom simply attending away games is what they enjoy.

They all travel down on the coaches together, know each other and will continue to go, regardless of results. I’ve made this point lots of times before and stick by it. A lot of these guys won’t be too bothered by the results. It’s the SOCIAL gathering they travel for. They’ll all be ‘looking forward to it’, planning it around their work, getting the games on their calendars, Mick will be calling Pat to see if ‘she’s going’…. And all that.

In the same way as you or I might be planning to go out to dinner, to the cinema, going out with mates on our motorbikes etc etc, THIS is what they do….

Theres no harm in it. Some of them might be single people who see this as a good way to make life-long friends (have you watched ‘Sunderland till I die’ on Netflix?

But actually the last thing they’ll want to do is to hurl abuse and vitriol at the players at the end of games, because ‘that’s not what supporters do’ and to do so, might see them socially outcasted by their fellow supporters.

Every club has this type of fan, I just wonder whether WE have a lot of them? Eg if you are a fan of Sunderland, for instance, you’ll be taking to away games as many fans who enjoy the ‘darker side’ of following their team as those who happy-clap. Eg those lads who ain’t bothered about shouting what they are really feeling. I have wondered if LCFC are followed by more of the

‘supporters club’ group than many other clubs?

But that explains why you are seeing what you are seeing. Or at least, I think so.

It wasn’t always like this btw. I followed City mainly in the late 80’s/early 90’s when we’d take a big contingent to away games and it was FOOKIN BRILLIANT. I recall being in the away end at Blackburn when Bobby Mimms spilled a late one and Rooster just had to put it into the empty net. But what we DID do was give the players HELL if they didn’t give it their all.

Different times… football is now so manufactured, and it’s more ‘family friendly’. 

Remember that Blackburn game. Booted into roosters midrift and he ran it all the way to the goal line. Brian Littles first season i think.

• Like 1

Just now, Thefox81 said:

Remember that Blackburn game. Booted into roosters midrift and he ran it all the way to the goal line. Brian Littles first season i think.

You are spot on mate. Mimms didn’t ’spill it’ like I said, he did what you said.

Alas, my ailing memory! I remember how we nearly blew the roof off that little stand though!

• Like 1

I cant for the life of me work out how we have players in our squad we should have sold even if its for returns and why we have let so many International standard players contracts whittle down where we get nothing.

I genuinely cant think of club in the prem that has let so many first team players from Caglar to Evans, Tielemans to Mendy, Perez to now Ndidi and Ihanhacho. Whoever has made the call to have the likes of Ward and Vestegaard (among plenty of others)sit out and earn. Vestegaard has been great this season but he is another out of contract isnt he? Heads should roll there. I also cant work out why we work out for the likes of Coady and Cannon and dont rotate them. Who is making these buying and contract decisions? 

As for the rest, we are still a relatively small club despite recent achievements and still do well. We have achieved a lot this season despite our recent form, thats on the back of the African Nations and having players on large wages or contracts running down who dont care. The backdrop of our our financial problems must also have a bearing but why we get hysterical with results over a long season, I dont know.

Just look at Arsenal yesterday, Liverpools last two home results, even Leeds and Ipswich!!! 

3 hours ago, gp96 said:

Agreed. I'm old and should know better and I'm only just coming round today and following average results for Leeds and Ipswich. If they'd both won I'd still be absolutely furious 

It really is a day out for some who often look totally emotionless win or lose 

It's why I don't go to The Tigers. Good game, good afternoon out but I'm more upset if we lose a pre season game than if they got relegated - Therefore, I can't be arsed to go - we have a lot of fans who do chose to go. 

• Like 1