Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lako42

Why are our fans so passive

53 minutes ago, Thefox81 said:

This was the best. Bank holiday.

I was there scaling the fence when we scored. 

There were thousands there and really was the start of Leicesters' rebirth - Leicester are back Hello! 

No problem with passion with that lot behind you 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

It’s aggravating to see but it genuinely doesn’t confuse me at all this.

These will likely be the ‘supporters club’ types, for whom simply attending away games is what they enjoy.

They all travel down on the coaches together, know each other and will continue to go, regardless of results. I’ve made this point lots of times before and stick by it. A lot of these guys won’t be too bothered by the results. It’s the SOCIAL gathering they travel for. They’ll all be ‘looking forward to it’, planning it around their work, getting the games on their calendars, Mick will be calling Pat to see if ‘she’s going’…. And all that.

In the same way as you or I might be planning to go out to dinner, to the cinema, going out with mates on our motorbikes etc etc, THIS is what they do….

Theres no harm in it. Some of them might be single people who see this as a good way to make life-long friends (have you watched ‘Sunderland till I die’ on Netflix?

But actually the last thing they’ll want to do is to hurl abuse and vitriol at the players at the end of games, because ‘that’s not what supporters do’ and to do so, might see them socially outcasted by their fellow supporters.

Every club has this type of fan, I just wonder whether WE have a lot of them? Eg if you are a fan of Sunderland, for instance, you’ll be taking to away games as many fans who enjoy the ‘darker side’ of following their team as those who happy-clap. Eg those lads who ain’t bothered about shouting what they are really feeling. I have wondered if LCFC are followed by more of the

‘supporters club’ group than many other clubs?

But that explains why you are seeing what you are seeing. Or at least, I think so.

It wasn’t always like this btw. I followed City mainly in the late 80’s/early 90’s when we’d take a big contingent to away games and it was FOOKIN BRILLIANT. I recall being in the away end at Blackburn when Bobby Mimms spilled a late one and Rooster just had to put it into the empty net. But what we DID do was give the players HELL if they didn’t give it their all.

Different times… football is now so manufactured, and it’s more ‘family friendly’. 

I know an Everton STH, lifelong supporter. Commutes 170 miles to home games. I asked him last season if he would renew if they got relegated. And he said, yes because it's about meeting mates for a beer and all that surrounds it.

I also know a big Carlisle fan - part of London branch of the supporters club. When they went non-League he loved going to all the new grounds. He's scathing of the Prem League/CL, even though he watches it.

These guys tell me that is what it's all about - not being "a plastic".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thefox81 said:

Great memories of that weekend. The height of the Rave scene and we were all out our heads on E :blink:

The days before phones and 'limbs' in the away end but look how bonkers we all went.

Glory days.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

It’s aggravating to see but it genuinely doesn’t confuse me at all this.

These will likely be the ‘supporters club’ types, for whom simply attending away games is what they enjoy.

They all travel down on the coaches together, know each other and will continue to go, regardless of results. I’ve made this point lots of times before and stick by it. A lot of these guys won’t be too bothered by the results. It’s the SOCIAL gathering they travel for. They’ll all be ‘looking forward to it’, planning it around their work, getting the games on their calendars, Mick will be calling Pat to see if ‘she’s going’…. And all that.

In the same way as you or I might be planning to go out to dinner, to the cinema, going out with mates on our motorbikes etc etc, THIS is what they do….

Theres no harm in it. Some of them might be single people who see this as a good way to make life-long friends (have you watched ‘Sunderland till I die’ on Netflix?

But actually the last thing they’ll want to do is to hurl abuse and vitriol at the players at the end of games, because ‘that’s not what supporters do’ and to do so, might see them socially outcasted by their fellow supporters.

Every club has this type of fan, I just wonder whether WE have a lot of them? Eg if you are a fan of Sunderland, for instance, you’ll be taking to away games as many fans who enjoy the ‘darker side’ of following their team as those who happy-clap. Eg those lads who ain’t bothered about shouting what they are really feeling. I have wondered if LCFC are followed by more of the

‘supporters club’ group than many other clubs?

But that explains why you are seeing what you are seeing. Or at least, I think so.

It wasn’t always like this btw. I followed City mainly in the late 80’s/early 90’s when we’d take a big contingent to away games and it was FOOKIN BRILLIANT. I recall being in the away end at Blackburn when Bobby Mimms spilled a late one and Rooster just had to put it into the empty net. But what we DID do was give the players HELL if they didn’t give it their all.

Different times… football is now so manufactured, and it’s more ‘family friendly’. 

There is loads of that type that follow Leicester but there’s not much anyone can do about it, shy of banning orders if you don’t sing. Some people may genuinely be lonely and see supporting Leicester away as an opportunity not to be, I dunno - not sure it really matters. Times have changed with lots of things, not just football - you’ll do your own head in worrying about whether it will be like the 80/90s again. 

• Like 1

On 13/04/2024 at 08:32, adamkhalifa said:

Yes in principle. But I am yet to see a team in the Prem that pass sideways and back like us.

To give you an analogy. We are wearing the same uniform. But we like to wash and Iron our blazer everyday, and get late for class. 

Burnley

On 13/04/2024 at 08:32, adamkhalifa said:

Yes in principle. But I am yet to see a team in the Prem that pass sideways and back like us.

To give you an analogy. We are wearing the same uniform. But we like to wash and Iron our blazer everyday, and get late for class. 

"Yet to see a team in the Prem that pass sideways and back", Liverpool have been doing it for decades!!

3 hours ago, ourla said:

I know an Everton STH, lifelong supporter. Commutes 170 miles to home games. I asked him last season if he would renew if they got relegated. And he said, yes because it's about meeting mates for a beer and all that surrounds it.

I also know a big Carlisle fan - part of London branch of the supporters club. When they went non-League he loved going to all the new grounds. He's scathing of the Prem League/CL, even though he watches it.

These guys tell me that is what it's all about - not being "a plastic".

I sit next to a Carlisle fan at the KP. His wife is Leicester 

5 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

"Yet to see a team in the Prem that pass sideways and back", Liverpool have been doing it for decades!!

You're seriously comparing to the way we play currently, with Liverpool. Not only that, but for 'Decades'. I'm baffled by your view. But okay cool. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, adamkhalifa said:

You're seriously comparing to the way we play currently, with Liverpool. Not only that, but for 'Decades'. I'm baffled by your view. But okay cool. 

You're probably too young to remember but Liverpool have played forward, sideways and back since the 1970's.

It was so frustrating to watch but all in the name of keeping possession.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ricey said:

I keep hearing this about Puel, but managers don't make transfers anymore. The signings we made during his reign would have happened anyway, with the exception of Diabate.

fair point

In a general sense, there's probably not enough in the fanbase who live for the football. It's arguably not a footballing place, at least in comparison to certain other clubs. That being said, the past decade has naturally strengthened the size of the fanbase.

Base of fanbase has always been passive to an extent since leaving Filbo 

We had a period of being complete boring shite and then finally had a manager which gave us something to believe (Pearson). This is similar to what's happened with Cov and Plymouth. 

That generation and momentum built up crowned into the PL. A lot of folk just said 'we've completed football'. 

Honestly think the new generation of fans have suffered from societal differences and the lack of a 'feeling' to have something to unite behind. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Izzy said:

Great memories of that weekend. The height of the Rave scene and we were all out our heads on E :blink:

The days before phones and 'limbs' in the away end but look how bonkers we all went.

Glory days.

missed that one skint :cry: but you will tell folk about it and many wont get southend away n footy being a great memory but its what we make it  , mine was ten year before 1st day of season at grimsby 1981 , home from work , shower , up the local at 6 pm for the van and lift with the older lads,    straight off to skeggy in pubs then sands night club ,we  kipped  on beech then off to grims for opening , packed with leicester on sea front in the sun , just great times . no es tho then . missed a gudun at southend mates told me.

• Like 3

On 12/04/2024 at 20:24, Lako42 said:

Genuine question here. 

Why do our fans love incompetent overlords and flat out refuse to demand accountability for the way the club has been run over the last 3 or so years. 

Not onr of our supporter led groups have done anything to demand the bare minimum of accountability. 

Shit players on massive contracts, Ill discipline amongst the squad, a 5 star hotel for overpaid players, a DOF not qualified for the job, an owner who seemingly has zero control over his middle managers, a culture of poor supporter treatment. 

Seriously, when do the blue mongies of Leicester City wake up and demand the custodians of the club do better? 

I don't think that its that no one wants to say anything, i just think we have all formed a nice orderly queue to complain and the person at the front is taking their time,  that's all.

4 hours ago, leatherhead32 said:

missed that one skint :cry: but you will tell folk about it and many wont get southend away n footy being a great memory but its what we make it  , mine was ten year before 1st day of season at grimsby 1981 , home from work , shower , up the local at 6 pm for the van and lift with the older lads,    straight off to skeggy in pubs then sands night club ,we  kipped  on beech then off to grims for opening , packed with leicester on sea front in the sun , just great times . no es tho then . missed a gudun at southend mates told me.

Yes sunny Cleethorpes was my holiday that year. I remember it being rammed with Leicester and I had to go into their main stand. 2-2 and I’m sure Lineaker got a bicycle kick? It was great following us during Jock and Brian Littles time with us. If I had my time again I’d still follow us everywhere as I did back then. 

• Like 1

Brian Littles first season had some great aways,  Southend already been mentioned, Swindon first day of the season was a laugh, Notts County in the ZDF(?) Blackburn 

Completely different feel back then but that’s probably more society changing over time. Yes there was still some trouble but nothing like the 80s so it was probably a sweet spot of the game changing after Italia 90 but before the gradual sterility of the modern atmosphere the top level in England 

• Like 4

We have to realize that like many things in society the best of times has come and gone. Only revolution would give want many here are asking for but you have to understand you are now the minority. It’s not just us the atmosphere at grounds like Anfield is not what it was in the past. The world has been sterilized and the majority have no time for the passionate groups. union FS is a handful, the supporters club died decades ago, the Foxes Trust is a handful. Watch the stream to and

d from the ground I yearn for the excitement and atmosphere but it has gone. They destroyed Wembley. At every club it’s all about the money, players, agents, managers, PGMOL, the TV Companies, The FA, The EPL and EFL Management don’t want what those posting here desire. We are a dying breed I am sorry to say and it’s gone too far to change.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 15/04/2024 at 13:27, Ric Flair said:

Abdul Fatawu is not an obscure player? You've name checked Ricardo, Soyuncu and Maddison (also Evans) who were all more of a household name than Fatawu. Last summer was more a nod towards the sorts of value for money and unproven but talented players but we have a long way to go to get back to being ahead of the game. 

I guess if the deal is better value for money than we have done in the last 3/4 years, it doesnt really matter whether the player is a name or not. As soon as the player gets to being established, they need to move on and be replaced for the next protege. Which I get is easier said than done Southampton had a great run with that cycle until it eventually stopped working. I guess the club has to look at boosting revenue streams long term to be competitive. We skipped the whole mid prem level in both directions.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2024 at 14:38, Thefox81 said:

By the way what a cracking front 4 that was - ooohhh Tommy Wright, He's not bald Rooster Russell, Paul Kitson and David Kelly 

We should have got promoted that year 

P.S I remember giving Chris Powell a bit of stick (saying he was shit etc) at a corner and him just laughing at us - When he came to us and I realised what a great guy he was I always felt a little bit guilty 

Edited by CrazyKopCorner
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

Yes sunny Cleethorpes was my holiday that year. I remember it being rammed with Leicester and I had to go into their main stand. 2-2 and I’m sure Lineaker got a bicycle kick? It was great following us during Jock and Brian Littles time with us. If I had my time again I’d still follow us everywhere as I did back then. 

age thing aint , blind passion for jock , i remember a girl id ad a laugh with from leicester in boozer getting hand trapped or sumut and walking round 2 3rds ground with her and st johns,  pd up thinking i was a doctor or medical expert , she was a ringer for that labour women angela raynor teen version , who i fancy so that distracted me from match for over an hour :beer:and then i roll my eyes now at people who spend time pissin bout with smart phones at game instead of watching  match.im a  hypocrite to say least. :yesyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We can create a decent away atmosphere but it's probably once a season, certainly the best one in the last few years was Randers away approx 600 tickets, I think the more that go the worse the atmosphere is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxes1 said:

We can create a decent away atmosphere but it's probably once a season, certainly the best one in the last few years was Randers away approx 600 tickets, I think the more that go the worse the atmosphere is.

This is definitely true. There were 6000 of us at MK Dons and it was the worst away end I’ve ever been in. 

3 hours ago, leatherhead32 said:

age thing aint , blind passion for jock , i remember a girl id ad a laugh with from leicester in boozer getting hand trapped or sumut and walking round 2 3rds ground with her and st johns,  pd up thinking i was a doctor or medical expert , she was a ringer for that labour women angela raynor teen version , who i fancy so that distracted me from match for over an hour :beer:and then i roll my eyes now at people who spend time pissin bout with smart phones at game instead of watching  match.im a  hypocrite to say least. :yesyes:

Yes the sheer homage paid to Jock was like nothing I've ever experienced with another manager - He really was a Scottish God. 

When he left I remember fans being a bit bewildered that he'd fuched off and fuched off to Motherwell of all places - there again it was strange why he'd come to us in the first place too.  

Gordon Milne in many ways was a far superior technical manager but never got the accolades probably due to his mild mannered nature (especially when compared to Jock) and also that he'd previously been C@v manager 

16 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

Yes the sheer homage paid to Jock was like nothing I've ever experienced with another manager - He really was a Scottish God. 

When he left I remember fans being a bit bewildered that he'd fuched off and fuched off to Motherwell of all places - there again it was strange why he'd come to us in the first place too.  

Gordon Milne in many ways was a far superior technical manager but never got the accolades probably due to his mild mannered nature (especially when compared to Jock) and also that he'd previously been C@v manager 

didnt just wana do thumbs up deserves a reply . jock was a cult classic , a great bloke and the away following was fantastic to be among , gm inherited a good young bunch inc smudge smith who jock bought b4 he left and yes gordon was  technically better 2bf,   id have to say that we loved jock and appreciated him more than most forest fans  did clough and taylor,  we were humble supporters and that has to be remembered in the next 3 weeks, lets not turn into manc chels and all the other want want want fans sing your hearts out for the lads.