Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
33 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I reckon a 35 point deduction for the next 9 years would actually be more damaging to Man City than immediate relegation with the potential to bounce back

I agree it would, 8th position on average the last 10 years has been 34 points behind the winners although that has varied massively between 21 & 51 points difference, they would need 100 point seasons to be able to just get 6th place based on the last 10 years 

Posted
42 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I reckon a 35 point deduction for the next 9 years would actually be more damaging to Man City than immediate relegation with the potential to bounce back

You reckon yeah? lol 

  • Haha 3
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

You reckon yeah? lol 

Well yeah but what I mean is the people wanting to see them suffer are actually being a bit short sighted with just wanting them relegated. The long term effect of them being moulded back into a mid table team would be far more damaging as they lose their appeal to potential signings

 

And with the offences being committed over a number of years I think I staggered punishment is more fitting 

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, kenny said:

There are still large swathes of Manchester that are undeveloped wastelands and former industrial sites. 

 

The nice bits are really nice, the bad bits are still awful and there are plenty of them.

I presume the area wasn’t redeveloped much when Manchester had the 2002 Commonwealth Gamed unlike Stratford in 2012 when London had the Olympics.

I guess an even on a much grander scale

Posted
4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Well yeah but what I mean is the people wanting to see them suffer are actually being a bit short sighted with just wanting them relegated. The long term effect of them being moulded back into a mid table team would be far more damaging as they lose their appeal to potential signings 

I don't think anyone would argue that one relegation is harsher than a 315 point deduction over 9 years.

Posted
7 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I don't think anyone would argue that one relegation is harsher than a 315 point deduction over 9 years.

I've seen plenty of people suggesting the optics of them remaining in the premier league would be worse

Posted
2 hours ago, kenny said:

There are still large swathes of Manchester that are undeveloped wastelands and former industrial sites. 

 

The nice bits are really nice, the bad bits are still awful and there are plenty of them.

Which bits are you referring to? There really isn't much undeveloped land left in Manchester city centre now. The only area I can think of is north of Victoria station around Strangeways but that's all set for development as part of the Northern Gateway project. 

 

On Richard Leese's comments more broadly - through the 2000s and particularly post-financial crisis the council had a very laissez faire approach to property investment which you can see with the poor quality of some of the buildings developed during this period. This has changed a bit in recent years and the quality is better, even if the enormous glass towers aren't to everyone's taste. I actually think he overplays Abu Dhabi's role - they were hugely influential in transforming the east of the city centre around the Etihad but there were plenty of other developers involved in other parts of the city. 

Posted
1 hour ago, izzymuzzet said:

Which bits are you referring to? There really isn't much undeveloped land left in Manchester city centre now. The only area I can think of is north of Victoria station around Strangeways but that's all set for development as part of the Northern Gateway project. 

 

On Richard Leese's comments more broadly - through the 2000s and particularly post-financial crisis the council had a very laissez faire approach to property investment which you can see with the poor quality of some of the buildings developed during this period. This has changed a bit in recent years and the quality is better, even if the enormous glass towers aren't to everyone's taste. I actually think he overplays Abu Dhabi's role - they were hugely influential in transforming the east of the city centre around the Etihad but there were plenty of other developers involved in other parts of the city. 

I don't know it well enough, but its the areas just away from the centre. Last time i was at Old Trafford (3-4 years ago) i was surprised at how undeveloped it was. You can see on the maps that quite a lot has gone on in recent years in that area.

 

The last time I was there surveying a building, the area around it was just wasteland and it was only 10 minute drive from Manchester city centre, that was 4-5 years ago though.

 

The centre of Manchester itself is really good. Nicer than most other centres I reckon.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

I've seen plenty of people suggesting the optics of them remaining in the premier league would be worse

It’s the only way to do it that doesn’t negatively affect other clubs. 
 

everyone in the prem keeps revenue from having them around, no missing games etc

 

they are handicapped enough that naturally big players won’t want to go there , yet there’s still the incentive for them to try, so the sporting merit isn’t completely pointless in games (like sheff wed last season ) 

 

then the people in lower leagues aren’t suddenly losing a spot for promotion as they clearly bounce straight up: 

 

then simply the length of punishment makes real lasting impact and undoes a lot of what the cheating caused. It’s the only type of punishment that makes sense to me 

 

problem is; the league will buckle and it will end up 10 points a season or something. It needs to be enough that champions league is more or less impossible 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Super_horns said:

I presume the area wasn’t redeveloped much when Manchester had the 2002 Commonwealth Gamed unlike Stratford in 2012 when London had the Olympics.

I guess an even on a much grander scale

City end ain't bad at all now - you can walk from Picadilly to Ethihad without issues - wasn't always the case. Ancotes and New Islington just keep eating up with gentrification. 

 

Manchester is on the same gentrified progress as London - areas like Levenshulme are becoming hip, towns like Stockport becoming the next Altrincham. Stretford is a good example of it too. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 2
Posted
53 minutes ago, kenny said:

I don't know it well enough, but its the areas just away from the centre. Last time i was at Old Trafford (3-4 years ago) i was surprised at how undeveloped it was. You can see on the maps that quite a lot has gone on in recent years in that area.

 

The last time I was there surveying a building, the area around it was just wasteland and it was only 10 minute drive from Manchester city centre, that was 4-5 years ago though.

 

The centre of Manchester itself is really good. Nicer than most other centres I reckon.

Old Trafford is a very industrial area. Trafford Park (right next to the football ground) is one of if not the biggest industrial parks in Europe. Go to any European city and get a taxi from the airport to the centre and you'll see plenty of empty land and industrial areas - Manchester is no different.

 

The centre and the areas immediately around it are utterly transformed in the last two decades. I believe there were about 500 people living in the area defined as Manchester city centre in 1991 - by the 2021 census it was over 100,000. Compare that to Liverpool, Leeds and Sheffield where the urban populations still haven't recovered fully from their post-war decline. 

Posted

I went to old trafford in the early 90's when we played them in the cup, full of scallies roaming about, really was a city (like the rest of the uk)  in the midst of a depression.  

 

Run down estate after run down estate.  Loads better now but industrial towns with little or no investment for 100 years it's gonna show, Manchester has been going under redevelopment for over a decade, lots has been done but you cant gentrify 100 years in a decade.

  • Like 2
Posted
2 minutes ago, izzymuzzet said:

Old Trafford is a very industrial area. Trafford Park (right next to the football ground) is one of if not the biggest industrial parks in Europe. Go to any European city and get a taxi from the airport to the centre and you'll see plenty of empty land and industrial areas - Manchester is no different.

 

The centre and the areas immediately around it are utterly transformed in the last two decades. I believe there were about 500 people living in the area defined as Manchester city centre in 1991 - by the 2021 census it was over 100,000. Compare that to Liverpool, Leeds and Sheffield where the urban populations still haven't recovered fully from their post-war decline. 

People tend to forgot next to Old Trafford is one of the largest railway freight sites in the country too hence it lends itself to the industrial use of Trafford Park. 

  • Like 4
Posted

United recently bought a big area of land adjacent to the ground. That whole area is going to see a lot of investment as part of their new stadium plans.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...