Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mug3k

Ryan Smith good enough for Arsenal ?

Hi

I'm an Arsenal fan and was wondering if any of you guys rate Smithy. Pires is definately on the decline and Reyes is too inconsistent (dives way too much too, its p*ssing me off :mad:).

At some point we'll have Walcott on the right and it would be nice to have another English lad on the flanks. Anyways what I'm asking is has he shown enough potential in your eyes to merit a real chance to challenge for a place in the Arsenal XI ?

Thanks,

Marcus :cool:

He's an awesome player but has took some stick recently. He has'nt been in the first team and looks asif his heart is'nt in it as much as it was.

He still has the ability to change a game in an instance , he needs to work on his defending sometimes does'nt track back and it leaves the LB exposed.

At the beginning of his time here , I would have said yes he is good enough to play for Arsenal but now I reckon he will end up like Pennant.

It will be interesting to see if Kelly can get the best out of him because he's had little opportunity so far and my feeling is that, generally, Kelly will always favour the fervent sort over the footballers.

For now he has the perfect reason - fighting to get out of the mire - but in future it will be no different, we will always be fighting for something wherever we are in the table.

In the end if you've got fighters in every area of the park you are going to be difficult to beat and Leicester are becoming that already.

Smithy looks too much of a fairy to be first choice with Kelly. Indeed very few, if any "fancy" footballers have succeeded at Leicester lately.

People like Hume and Fryatt are proving they can play and scrap but others, like Smith and Williams have had little chance to make a mark partly, perhaps, because they are not natural scrappers anyway but mainly because injury/illness has been the major factor.

If that changes for Smith then Kelly's task will be to make him more effective. He has wonderful skills but the end product is virtually non-existent. He doesn't score and he doesn't make many...and that is his problem.

The scrappers will only ever put up with ballplayers who either score goals or create them.

Good enough for Arsenal? He would benefit from having more skillful players around him and from better running off the ball to create space. He would also have more space because Premiership defences would have other quality players to cope with as well as Smith. But, on balance, he is not wise enough or ruthless enough.

thanks for the insightful replies lads. I think the period at Leicester will have done him well and gained some decent experience playing some 1st team footy. Maybe a stint at a low-end premiership team will help him develop some more as he'll gain valuable experience in the league he intends to play in.

Will fit in well with the Arsenal pass and move style of play I feel. We're a very different team where we're in a physical league and with players not quite on the same wavelength as Smith sometimes who thinks rather quickly. With players like Henry and Van Persie in the side to aim for he'll benefit I think.

Hi

I'm an Arsenal fan and was wondering if any of you guys rate Smithy. Pires is definately on the decline and Reyes is too inconsistent (dives way too much too, its p*ssing me off :mad:).

At some point we'll have Walcott on the right and it would be nice to have another English lad on the flanks. Anyways what I'm asking is has he shown enough potential in your eyes to merit a real chance to challenge for a place in the Arsenal XI ?

Thanks,

Marcus :cool:

I thought that was in Arsenal players blood. :whistle:

He's an awesome player but has took some stick recently. He has'nt been in the first team and looks asif his heart is'nt in it as much as it was.

He still has the ability to change a game in an instance , he needs to work on his defending sometimes does'nt track back and it leaves the LB exposed.

At the beginning of his time here , I would have said yes he is good enough to play for Arsenal but now I reckon he will end up like Pennant.

I totally agree.

His first half a dozen or so games for us he was literally breath taking, but then his last few games under the Levein era he had lost confidence and showed his in-experience.

I've still never witnessed a bigger impact on a game than Smith's debut when he came on at Derby. That's when his confidence was riding high, I expect if he gets another chance soon he'll replicate that sort of impact as there isn't a player at this club at the minute who isn't on top of his game other than the goalies!

I think he's premiership class given time, possibly even at international level aswell.

His first half a dozen or so games for us he was literally breath taking, but then his last few games under the Levein era he had lost confidence and showed his in-experience.

I'm not sure the change happened during the 'Levein era', to me he seems to have been a changed player since Levein left. I'd agree with Muz that perhaps his heart isn't in it as much as it was, not in a big headed way but because he's lost a lot of confidence. In Levein's interview in the Fox he said that of all the players Ryan was the one who after most games would come up to him apologise for not doing well (even when he had played well) as he always felt he could to better, to me that seems like he had a good relationship with Levein and his sacking must have dented Smith's confidence.

I'm not sure the change happened during the 'Levein era', to me he seems to have been a changed player since Levein left. I'd agree with Muz that perhaps his heart isn't in it as much as it was, not in a big headed way but because he's lost a lot of confidence. In Levein's interview in the Fox he said that of all the players Ryan was the one who after most games would come up to him apologise for not doing well (even when he had played well) as he always felt he could to better, to me that seems like he had a good relationship with Levein and his sacking must have dented Smith's confidence.

It was evident that Smith and Levein got on really well. When Smith scored against Sheff United he ran over to Levein and after games that we won they would hug alot. But I felt that he lost alot of confidence after xmas time when the crowd started to get on Levein's back and since Levein has departed he's hardly played. He did look lively when he came on against Derby last week and i'm sure given the chance he'll be back to his best as everyone seems to have grown in confidence recently.

I've spoken to Smith a few times and he's quite a shy lad, he might appear to be cocky with all his tricks but it doesn't surprise me that he has confidence issues.

I really rate him though and i'm desperate for him to go out with a bang at Leicester and perhaps even come back next season if possible.

Too lightwight for the Prem. Head drops too quickly when not getting the rub of the green, needs to develop more uppper body strength and have a look before crossing the ball. Not good enough yet.

After this poor season I think the Arse will buy big this summer, they have plenty of midfield players but they have no Viera. I think they will buy their class rather than grow it next season.

Therefore you can sell him to us to £50,000.

I think when he does get in the starting lineup again he will be out to impress with an understanding that his general work rate must also be higher if he is to be a part of our 10 field players in a near relegation situation. this is part of the deal for him to be selected.

When he's on the pitch we need to give him the ball more. He never really has a chance to run. I don't think he's getting the help he needs. That Derby defence was there for him to take down but when he came on he didn't really have a chance. He should have been given the ball and been told to run at that big guy at the back for Derby. I'm sure that he would have got pulled down for a penalty at least.

Archived