Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

Smith goes back to Arsenal

Disappointed but at the end of the day, if we chalk the points on the board, does it matter?

Your right there! I'm not happy about this but we've won 4 games and drawn 2 without him so the proof is in the pudding so to speak. It's a shame as he's very talented and we need him, aaah well. It's the first time that Kelly has really pissed me off, let's hope it's short lived.

Your right there! I'm not happy about this but we've won 4 games and drawn 2 without him so the proof is in the pudding so to speak. It's a shame as he's very talented and we need him, aaah well. It's the first time that Kelly has really pissed me off, let's hope it's short lived.

The thing is, ok we've won 4 games out of 7 under Kelly but that doesn't mean we've performed perfectly? There is always room for improvement. One of those areas that could be improved is on the wings.

Currently we have a right back who is only good at right back playing right wing and a central midfielder with average pace playing left wing, as backup for those too we have a lazy arrogant right winger and a Sunderland reject. To me Smith is better than all of them on the wings however I'll reserver judgement on Welsh.

I'm also quite annoyed with this, as Smith was the ONLY player in the team who could genuinely excite the crowd. Okay say his final ball wasn't killer, but a game like Hull's last sat was crying out for any decent, tricky wing play!! Someone who could occupy 2 of the opposition's defenders would be really useful now that we have Hume and Fryatt on top form!

Let's hope Andy Welsh (if he even starts) can at least provide either the wing play or the killer ball otherwise what is the point of this switch??

I'm also quite annoyed with this, as Smith was the ONLY player in the team who could genuinely excite the crowd. Okay say his final ball wasn't killer, but a game like Hull's last sat was crying out for any decent, tricky wing play!! Someone who could occupy 2 of the opposition's defenders would be really useful now that we have Hume and Fryatt on top form!

Let's hope Andy Welsh (if he even starts) can at least provide either the wing play or the killer ball otherwise what is the point of this switch??

i think welsh will start, he'd only been here for 2 days before the hull game so it was the wiser choice to bring him on

If things work out there is a good chance that Welsh will be here next season. As Ryan Smith wan't in the team and isn't goingto be here next season (And hasn't been at his best for a while even when he played) I can't say I'm too upset by this.

Simon

I can't belive it! One of the main attractions for me this past half-season has been waiting for Ryan Smith to get the ball! I even made sure I sat at the front to watch him skittle past me!! I wish him all the best for his bright future career - I'm crossing my fingers he will be wearing the blue shirt again one day :(

Get over it. Yes he was good but he also had a big time Charlie attitude and in this division with our current plight we can't have this, i'm sure im going to echo many people's words here by saying he wasn't ever going to come here permantly, he had only a handful of games that reached his potential. I'm a little upset he's gone but not as upset as i have been about other players who have left us. This is football, players move on. He was only brought here in the first place to help us until the end of the season.

a) He was going at the end of the season anyway.

b) Facts are we have done better without him.

I couldn't give a shite as long as we stay up.

Too right, Good decision by Kelly, he's stamping his authority on the squad and we do better without him and his flash skills which don't do jack in Championship football. Good decision Rob :)

Ryan Returns

The 19-year-old winger initially joined Leicester for a three-month period in October, and that deal was extended until the end of the season.

But the Gunners have requested for the player to return to their squad.

City boss Rob Kelly said: "The reason he came here in the first place was for first-team football. In our present situation we are fighting for our lives and that is not the best thing for a young player.

"We could not guarantee Ryan would get the involvement he wanted so he has gone back to Arsenal. I am sure he will do well and we wish him all the best for the future."

If Arsenal have requested for him to return then there's not a lot we can do is there?

Given that he hasn't featured recently and we don't seem to have missed him that much, plus the rumours about his attitude, I'm not that fussed that he's going. Even so, it would have been nice to keep him here for backup if for nothing else.

a) He was going at the end of the season anyway.

b) Facts are we have done better without him.

I couldn't give a shite as long as we stay up.

Ditto.

He may be a skilful player but he isn't yet very effective and we're not a club whose sole purpose is to give other team's players a chance to develop.

The thing is, ok we've won 4 games out of 7 under Kelly but that doesn't mean we've performed perfectly? There is always room for improvement. One of those areas that could be improved is on the wings.

Currently we have a right back who is only good at right back playing right wing and a central midfielder with average pace playing left wing, as backup for those too we have a lazy arrogant right winger and a Sunderland reject. To me Smith is better than all of them on the wings however I'll reserver judgement on Welsh.

Kelly is playing alot of players out of position at the minute and we are getting results and i'm pleased with the results. But as you say, there are limitations when you play players out of position and that has been shown even though we have done well recently. If Smith had gone and Kelly hadn't bought somebody else in then i'd really be questioning him but he's bought Welsh in so i'm content with that.

Managers fall out with players, Kelly doesn't strike as the sort to do this regularly so i'm not concerned at all. I loved Smith and it's sad to see him go, but he was going in just over a month or so anyway. Let's hope he either comes back to us in the future or he suceeds at Arsenal and shows us what we missed.

Kelly best start Welsh now though because we desperately need wingers playing, atleast one of them.

Nice to see that story, which we ran locally and nationally a week ago today has finally been confirmed and can finally be believed after some scepticism. As I said at the time, the tip off came from a guy who's managed three out of three so far.

I think it's a pity. Most managers would love a player like Ryan Smith to work with even if he did show a bit of petulance and disrespect which is not unusual from a talented teenager. But life goes on and I'm happy with his replacement.l

He looked like he'd totally lost interest in playing for the side, the last few games he played - a bit of trickery to beat someone (to show his skills to any other manager that might be watching) then not even trying to make the pass and shrugging as if it was everyone else's fault. Not that his passing was ever a strength, of course. Nor his corners, either. Nor his tackling, but you can't have everything, I guess.

Seemed clear Kelly thought more-or-less the same. And then, once Welsh was in, it was clear he was only ever going to get intermittent games. No surprise Arsenal asked for him back, really, but now it seems no loss.

But it could have been different. He certainly had amazing skill at going around players but needed to work out what to do with the ball afterwards, or even to consider whether a simple, quick pass before might have been more use. And he never really developed any of that. Ultimately, then, the epitome of the Levein days - promising much but never delivering the results.

If we actually owned him, what would people's views of him be? I think they would be a little different, I know this is an irrelevant question but it seems alot of people have jumped on the bandwagon to say he wasn't good effective enough for us, but they weren't saying that before xmas when he was worth the entrance fee alone.

When he was only here for a month, he looked bothered, but once the deal was extended his attitude, and level of performance changed.

Ok, so he's skillful, but as others have suggested, he was a luxury we can't afford at present. I personally feel he was a bit of a let down following the hype, and shaln't be losing any sleep over his return to The Arse.

There is no comparison between Smith and either Sylla or Hamill. I think there might have been healthy competition between Smith and Welsh and I don't think Smith would have been that hard to motivate and get playing properly. But it's past now until Smith plays against us next - I bet he plays then!

Archived