Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

lol, I must admit I don't read as much as I should but I'm now a Higgins fan and will be getting more from him. Have you read it buce?

I've not, mate, it's not my favourite genre.

I read a lot, though: I get through a few chapters before bedtime, most nights (you have to do something when your missus works nights..), and I write too.

I read a few of Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels on holiday. Not high art by any means but entertaining.

In Sicily, just finished rereading The Visitor, Childs earlier novels were better in my opinion.

Plus The Bourne Legacy, obviously nothing like the film and The Camel Club. All good holiday reads.

I'm re-visiting my youth with Asimov's 'Foundation' series.

Ive got this on the kindle (i think its the second one)...would you recommend?

2 minutes later as i work my way backwards though the thread i can see that you would.....

Edited by Jacnah

2 minutes later as i work my way backwards though the thread i can see that you would.....

It's quite dated but a classic of its time.

You should note that it needs to be read in order, though: it was originally written as a trilogy (Foundation; Foundation and Empire; Second Foundation), and these can be read in isolation. However, in later life he re-visited the series, writing two sequels (Foundations Edge; Foundation and Earth), and two prequels (Prelude to Foundation; Forward the Foundation).

Although the later four books tie-in very nicely with a number of entirely seperate novels set in Asimov's universe, you would need to have read those novels to have that understanding.

My advice to you would be to read the trilogy, which is an all-time classic work of Science Fiction.

Edited by Buce

Read a couple of those. Teenage fiction I know but not bad.

Yes it is Teen fiction but is there really a big difference between the Mickey Bolitar and Myron Bolitar series. There is some , but the stories are such a good read . Before these I was reading James Patterson's Alex Cross series. That couldn't be described as teen fiction but the "romantic" scenes are so pukeworthy and so clearly written by a man that has no idea I wish they had been excluded. In fact the more I think of Patterson the less I like hiw writing. He does write some very good bad guys but they are nearly always too perfect and alex Cross and his family are truly sickeningly sweet and unrealistic. I now wonder why I read them - probably because I bought them - The later books kept mentioning the make and model of the car that he was driving and how wonderful it was for a family in so many ways; without being too cynical if he wasn't paid a large sum of cash by Mercedes for that then he is an utter moron.

Back to the idea of teen fiction, there's an argument to say that most Sci-fi and Fantasy books are also teen fiction isn't there.

Is it just the lack of graphic sex paragraphs and the age of the central characters that make a book Teen fiction? 

As a newbie to the forum (but a Leicester fan longer than most of you have been alive) I am pleasantly surprised to find so many intelligent readers among us. I joined another (unmentionable) forum where the combined brain power is worrying, to say the least. 

Now, about this graphic sex, Molly ...

Oh – forgot to mention, great sense of humour, too.

Also forgot to mention that the footy book 'Big Dick's Little Black Book' has loads of mentions of Leicester and Nigel Pearson. Not surprising since it's supposed to be the 'touchline notebook' of a new manager battling against relegation from the Premier League last season. Love the 'after-match notes' from the end of April – "Are Leicester paying big bribes, or what? Four bloody wins on the trot now!"

Also forgot to mention that the footy book 'Big Dick's Little Black Book' has loads of mentions of Leicester and Nigel Pearson. Not surprising since it's supposed to be the 'touchline notebook' of a new manager battling against relegation from the Premier League last season. Love the 'after-match notes' from the end of April – "Are Leicester paying big bribes, or what? Four bloody wins on the trot now!"

6 posts and 3 of them are plugs for your book. Change the subject now please or I'll have to mark you as a spammer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Browsing through the most recent edition of 11 FREUNDE, I came across a recommendation for what many journalists call the best sports/football book of the year, I Believe In Miracles:

https://bookshop.theguardian.com/catalog/product/view/id/344557/

Just don't pay attention to the fact that it's about Nottingham Forest's rise up the table under Brian Clough.

:ph34r:

Having a break from my Alain de Botton marathon to read some book called Can We Live Here about a family who "quit the rat race" to try to find a happier life somewhere else and the wife and kid end up living in Bali while the husband takes part in the Singapore rat race and the wife becomes a successful author and they send their kid to a super expensive private school in Bali before getting annoyed because Bali is becoming "too developed" and then they move back to London and the moral is supposed to be I don't know what, that if you've got lots of money you can go and live in Bali for a couple of years, or something.