Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

just read hitchhikers guide to the galaxy in a day.

onto the restaurant at the end of the universe.

The greatest Trilogy of all time, bar none!

Ive just started this, looks like a real story of dreams...anyone heard of it? ;)

9781909245440.jpg

Guest CityFan 06

Reading the Unbelievers.

The greatest Trilogy of all time, bar none!

Ive just started this, looks like a real story of dreams...anyone heard of it? ;)

9781909245440.jpg

I am too, reading this. Great book...

Started reading this. Big fan of the game and wanted to read the inspiration. I recommend it. I should add this isnt the first book, or even the first novel, but a collection of short stories released in between to fill in more backstory. chronologically  its the first book. 

post-11205-0-32461300-1468416401_thumb.j

Edited by Beliall

Not what I am reading but I was thinking today by a book series  by Stephen King and a certain passage I have just looked and the book I thought it was from is not with the others.

Yhe series is the Gunslinger/Dark Tower and the passage includes the line something like  'Do not complain about the cards delt to you in life and in cards' (misspelling deliberate) which was on a notice in an old western saloon type bar The passage describes the bar and people in it drunk and slumped over tables.

It is one of my favourite descriptions of a bar. I nelieve it is from book LV Wizard and Glass which tells of the main character Roland's early life.

Saw on a Facebook page that they are planning a film of the books. Whether it is a one off or a franchise they are unsure. They also had plans for a TV series but that is in early stages of finding a TV company willing to put up the money. I think it would be good. Seven books a book for each series. There are some drawn out parts but the cliffhangers are good.

Read 5 books this week - yes the holidays are here and the temperature is too unbearable to go out between 10:30 and 7pm.

Michael Connelly - The fifth witness. Good story but sometimes gets bogged down in boring court procedure.

Michael Connelly - The burning room - a Bosch novel, keeps moving , good story.

David Baldacci - Can't remember the name, story was good but his writing style was not my cup of tea, too many uninteresting details and a girly love story.

Harlen Coben - everything that I could find. He writes so well and the story never gets boring.

Read 5 books this week - yes the holidays are here and the temperature is too unbearable to go out between 10:30 and 7pm.

Michael Connelly - The fifth witness. Good story but sometimes gets bogged down in boring court procedure.

David Baldacci - Can't remember the name, story was good but his writing style was not my cup of tea, too many uninteresting details and a girly love story.

Harlen Coben - everything that I could find. He writes so well and the story never gets boring.

I've read those Conelly books and probably read the Harlen Coben books as well, all very good. Not read any thing by Baldacci and I probably won't after that recommendation.

• 4 weeks later...

Halfway through my two week holiday and halfway through Rob Tanners 5000-1 Leicester story of last season book. I haven't lived in Leicestershire for 15 years so haven't read the Mercury in ages and no idea if you locals rate Tanner or not? But I'm really enjoying his book and insights which are a great reminder of an unforgettable season. 

I'm just rereading 'Mason and Dixon' by Thomas Pynchon. 

It's a book written about the astronomers/surveyors of the line drawn between Delaware and the Alleghenies in the 1700's, but with the addition of a talking dog, giant vegetables, a mechanical flying duck that is in love with the French chef attached to the party, an Amish woman who is incredibly pious and silent, except when you provide her with some coffee, in which case there's no shutting her up, Zsa Zsa Gabor, a contemporary poet named Timothy Tox, who writes poetry that is dreadful and funny, a completely bananas Benjamin Franklin, the world's largest magnet, a museum that features Jenkin's Ear and gets you to talk to it, and loads and loads of bodice-ripping.

Metafiction at it's finest!

:) 

Edited by thursday_next
  • Like 1

On 17/07/2016 at 09:16, FIF said:

Love the Micheal Connelly Bosch Series  

9 hours ago, masterg59 said:

Love the Micheal Connelly Bosch Series  

Yeah they're an easy read. Not too much waffle to distract from the story. His Mickey Haller series is okay but it does get bogged down in courtroom procedure a little too much at times.

Presently reading the lion's game by Nelson Demille. Story is good so far but Demille perhaps gives a little too much of the extra description that means I find myself skipping a few lines here and there.

I'm reading The secret speech,

220px-Secretspeech_reissuedpaperback.jpg

Sequel to Child 44 which is also excellent, if you like your historical crime fiction bleak and brutal and really well written strongly recommend this series even more so if you have an interest in communist Russia.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...