Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

I never read any type of fiction/novels - always found them hard work.

So I wondered, any of you sados out there read any business/management/leadership type books? Or just me? lol

Just you. lol

I do read history books, though.

• Like 1

I never read any type of fiction/novels - always found them hard work.

So I wondered, any of you sados out there read any business/management/leadership type books? Or just me? lol

Find them a waste of time.  :thumbup:

Find them a waste of time. :thumbup:

Fair enough mate, each to their own. I find they help my work with coaching clients so guess my type of business dictates the need to be well read in this area.

Fair enough mate, each to their own. I find they help my work with coaching clients so guess my type of business dictates the need to be well read in this area.

I wasn't criticising you just answering your question. I like fiction.

Of those books Lord of the Flies is by far the easiest, simplest, least threatening read, like To Kill a Mockingbird, or the Grapes of Wrath if you are forced to read it at school it will suck all the pleasure out of it, but if you read it because you want to you will enjoy it.

Cloud Atlas is basically 5 (or 6) Average to Good stories that have been shoved together in a "creative" way to try and give each one more depth, but it didn't really work for me and each of the stories I felt were under developed and unsatisfying to various degrees. Each story also really deliberately uses the phrase Cloud Atlas which I found very annoying. 

Currently reading the Silo Triology (Wool, Shift, Dust) - Highly recommended if you like your apocalyptic, dystopian futures and the folly of man read books 1 and 2, book 3 is next on my shelf, I like to read books in between books in a series.

Right now I am reading Foxglove Summer, the latest instalment in Ben Aaronvich's London Rivers series - Worth checking out if you are a fan of Pratchett and Jasper Fforde, at times irreverent and fun but also a good read and very well researched into how the police operate.

Good shout re Silo Trilogy- I thought it was really well written with excellent twists. There is a comic novel if you are interested but it is getting dodgy reviews though. There also will be a movie as well so I am really praying it will be well made as it is really something different to typical Hollywood gashes nowdays. 

Edited by The Blur

A book published in 1967 called "Secret Societies" by Norman Mackenzie.

Immensely revealing and still relevent today. I was led there while researching a potential shares investment and the morality of getting involved with the companies concerned.

So far what's most apparent is the ruthlessness of business in the pursuit of their greed and ambition. And the incredible control such people have over organisations which we consider are voted there to serve our interests and the interets of people all around the world.

It's strange but in this world of computer technology I find myself reading more than ever, with ever greater interest and across a ever-broader variety of subjects. A common factor is how easily and how readily people are deceived or the victims of misguided trust.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone read any good ones lately? just finished The Shining last night and didnt sleep well last night to put it bluntly! 

What are you into? Stephen King isn't really my thing.

Currently reading the 100 year old man who climbed out a window and disappeared

It's very interesting if a little odd, it's basically a classic farce set across some of the biggest events in the last century. 

If you want post apocalyptic dystopian future try the Silo trilogy, or more recently I've read My Story by Muzzy Izzett  which I also highly recommend, just not for its literary merit.

What are you into? Stephen King isn't really my thing.

Currently reading the 100 year old man who climbed out a window and disappeared

It's very interesting if a little odd, it's basically a classic farce set across some of the biggest events in the last century. 

If you want post apocalyptic dystopian future try the Silo trilogy, or more recently I've read My Story by Muzzy Izzett  which I also highly recommend, just not for its literary merit.

ive recently tried some michael marshall smith. I tried the shining because i havent seen the film and wanted to see if king was as good as people say. it was good and it was the first book to creep me out but it wasnt amazing. 

the book i read before was "escape from camp 14" and loved it but i love all things north korea related. currently got Schindler's Ark to read too. 

ive recently tried some michael marshall smith. I tried the shining because i havent seen the film and wanted to see if king was as good as people say. it was good and it was the first book to creep me out but it wasnt amazing. 

the book i read before was "escape from camp 14" and loved it but i love all things north korea related. currently got Schindler's Ark to read too. 

The 100 year old man who climbed out the window ended up in North Korea, along with Soviet Russia, Nazi Germany and Mao's China, but it is not specifically about Korea.

To be honest the whole Korean thing is an area of conflict I know very little about so I might pick that up.

If you like your historical accounts, The Girl in the Photograph is very good. The life of the girl that was photographed running naked and on fire after a napalm strike in Vietnam.

Cruel Crossing: Escaping Hitler Across the Pyrenees - well the title sums it up. It is also very interesting, but more a patchwork of accounts rather than one person's story.

You might also like HHhH,  but you might hate it, it is a very marmite book. It tells the story of 2 Czechs who were on a mission to assassinate Heydrich one of the top Nazi officials who I had never heard about and talks about the war from the Czech perspective, but it is very stylised and the self referential narration does annoy some people.

Edited by Captain...

I used to read King when I was a youngster. If you enjoyed the shining, you'll be really freaked out by the Stand and should enjoy the Dark Half.

Was it written on parchment, FIF? :D

:P

I qualified my statement because I haven't read any King for at least 25 or 30 years and wasn't sure if they appealed to me at the time because of my relative youth or because they were good.

It was back at the end of the 70's.

Edited by Guest

Finally getting around to reading The Man in the High Castle, wanted to for years and now it's a TV series I have to before I watch it.

Let us know how you get on, Matt - it's on my reading list, too.

Exceptional Buce, one of the best books I've read, it has a bit of everything. One of those books where you can't even imagine having the sort of mind the author could have to conjure up these scenarios.

Exceptional Buce, one of the best books I've read, it has a bit of everything. One of those books where you can't even imagine having the sort of mind the author could have to conjure up these scenarios.

Cool, I'll look forward to reading that.

Thanks, Matt - much appreciated.

Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. 
Ben Hope series by Scott Mariani.
Joe Pickett series by CJ Box
All cracking good reads if you're into the lone ex SAS / Black ops
avenger type of character. Perhaps better (though not essential) to start with the first in the series.

Just bought it, looking forward to it.

I've read about 10 books in the last 5 years but set myself a new year's resolution to read 50 this year.

So far I've read 6 and enjoyed them all to varying degrees:

The Big Short (Lewis)

The Plot Against America (Roth)

The Zone of Interest (Amis)

Liar's Poker (Lewis)

Netherland (O'Neill)

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Thompson)

Any suggestions welcome because my knowledge of what I "should" read is terrible.