Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

I'd be interested in that but for the life of me I can't think of a book I abandoned or a book that intimidates me.

You might think of some by later in the year though? Like you, I can't really remember any books I've abandoned - I tend to stick with them until the bitter end however crap they are!

Books that I find intimidating tend to be excessively long, boring (in my mind that often means historical and/or most of the 'classics'), or ridiculously complex.

So, for me, intimidating includes War and Peace, Lord of the Flies, Frankenstein, The Bible (!), Gormenghast, anything by Thomas Hardy, Don Quixote, etc. I think I might give 'Cloud Atlas' a go as a book that intimidates me and that's only really because I've heard such conflicting views, and the format seems so odd, that I fear I might be wasting my time - plus it simply doesn't really 'appeal'. 

You might think of some by later in the year though? Like you, I can't really remember any books I've abandoned - I tend to stick with them until the bitter end however crap they are!

Books that I find intimidating tend to be excessively long, boring (in my mind that often means historical and/or most of the 'classics'), or ridiculously complex.

So, for me, intimidating includes War and Peace, Lord of the Flies, Frankenstein, The Bible (!), Gormenghast, anything by Thomas Hardy, Don Quixote, etc. I think I might give 'Cloud Atlas' a go as a book that intimidates me and that's only really because I've heard such conflicting views, and the format seems so odd, that I fear I might be wasting my time - plus it simply doesn't really 'appeal'.

I've set myself a New Years resolution to read 1 book every month.

Currently reading 'Fear and Loathing in La Liga'. Finding it interesting. Got the book about Pep's first year in Munich to read next.

I've set myself a New Years resolution to read 1 book every month.

Currently reading 'Fear and Loathing in La Liga'. Finding it interesting. Got the book about Pep's first year in Munich to read next.

lol That's made me feel like a true air-head. >_<

(I'm reading some trashy chick-lit at the mo!) :blush: 

Edited by AoWW

Just finished Snowing in Bali by Kathryn Bonella.

It's about the cocaine market in Bali from the perspective of the island's big dealers and the dire consequences of unsuccessful attempts. Really good read if you're interested in things like that.

What do you find intimidating about Lord Of The Flies?

What do you find intimidating about Lord Of The Flies?

Don't know exactly; some nebulous reason. Started reading it for coursework when I was in high school... I remember I hated it, and gave up on it I think, but can't remember anything of the story. Having said that, it was a very unhappy time for me - perhaps it's subconscious memories that I've linked in some way. :dunno: 

Don't know exactly; some nebulous reason. Started reading it for coursework when I was in high school... I remember I hated it, and gave up on it I think, but can't remember anything of the story. Having said that, it was a very unhappy time for me - perhaps it's subconscious memories that I've linked in some way. :dunno:

It's a superb piece of literature - maybe you should give it another go?

Edited by Buce

I remember having to read this at Guthlaxton for GCSE. Although I did read it all the way through, I've always held a grudge against it! Bloody book!

I remember having to read this at Guthlaxton for GCSE. Although I did read it all the way through, I've always held a grudge against it! Bloody book!

Well that's hardly persuaded me to give it another go! >_<

Edited by AoWW

just finished "return of the Crimson Guard" Ian Esslemont. 

Continuing in the Malazan universe. As with every book I've read so far fantastic but complex. Remembering who is who is extremely difficult.

Having a short break from that now and reading the Harlan Coben books that I missed over the years.

Read Back spin over 2 days. it was an early one based on golf. They all follow the same sort of track but Coben makes you want to keep turning the pages to solve the mystery. Can't remember which is next for the boat ride tomorrow.

Of those books Lord of the Flies is by far the easiest, simplest, least threatening read, like To Kill a Mockingbird, or the Grapes of Wrath if you are forced to read it at school it will suck all the pleasure out of it, but if you read it because you want to you will enjoy it.

Cloud Atlas is basically 5 (or 6) Average to Good stories that have been shoved together in a "creative" way to try and give each one more depth, but it didn't really work for me and each of the stories I felt were under developed and unsatisfying to various degrees. Each story also really deliberately uses the phrase Cloud Atlas which I found very annoying. 

Currently reading the Silo Triology (Wool, Shift, Dust) - Highly recommended if you like your apocalyptic, dystopian futures and the folly of man read books 1 and 2, book 3 is next on my shelf, I like to read books in between books in a series.

Right now I am reading Foxglove Summer, the latest instalment in Ben Aaronvich's London Rivers series - Worth checking out if you are a fan of Pratchett and Jasper Fforde, at times irreverent and fun but also a good read and very well researched into how the police operate.

Edited by Captain...