Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

47 minutes ago, Webbo said:

After seeing something about Hemingway on Pointless tonight I decided to purchase For Whom the Bell Tolls on the kindle. I've read the first 2 chapters, so far, a bit meh.

Stick with it, Webbo.

2 hours ago, gurru991 said:

The 100 year old man who climbed out a window and disappeared 

I'm enjoying it

Finished that a month ago.  I thought it was ok at the start but gets better in the middle when we learnt more about Alan's past.  Loved the light mannered style it was written in.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

Finished that a month ago.  I thought it was ok at the start but gets better in the middle when we learnt more about Alan's past.  Loved the light mannered style it was written in.  

Not at all deep but It entertained me on an eight hour flight quite nicely. Im just about done but it's been fun

Edited by gurru991

• 2 months later...

page 6. Have you peasants stopped reading.

Recently read the sci-fi series "Legend of Zero" by Sara King in you like Sci-fi I think you'll enjoy them.

Just finished the second of the Lewis (the island not the detective) trilogy by Peter May. Quite a unique blend of story which is a detective/crime novel but more than half of the story is more of a memoir. Found it a page turner nonetheless and looking forward to reading the final book but before I read that I've been given PD James "Devices and Desires" on recommendation to attack.

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

The Sun ...   a riveting good read, well balanced and full of amazing and current stories ...   a good accompaniment to a lunchtime sarnie and plenty of easy on the eye pictures to look at especially if you have mislaid your reading glasses ..   

IMG_0518.JPG.73c7ec3fdd53680d61ed1480a77577ae.JPG

How Much Money Did You Make on the War, Daddy?

Two take away points so far...

1) It makes really good sense to own a business that makes bombs and weaponry... and ALSO runs refugee camps :whistle:

2) George dubya really was dumb...like legendary dumb, he knew it, those around him knew it. :nigel:

On 30/06/2017 at 23:21, gurru991 said:

After seeing something about Hemingway on Pointless tonight I decided to purchase For Whom the Bell Tolls on the kindle. I've read the first 2 chapters, so far, a bit meh.

Stick with it, mate. Really immersive once you tune in to the writing style (if you know what I mean).

I'm reading Iain Banks's Raw Spirit. 

I made a conscious effort to get into whisky last year, and this was recommended as a decent guide to the different distilleries and what they have to offer. 

As a minor Iain Banks fan I was looking forward to reading it, but at the moment its rating about a 5/10...

...I've also got a bit of a problem in that I have to finish every book I start, and this is a pretty big book... :o

Ordered the two books by Yuval Noah Harari, Sapiens and Homo Deus, anyone read them?

It had a great review in the ST of Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow - a few weeks ago and it claimed it was the most thought provoking book of the year.

“Every day millions of people decide to grant their smartphone a bit more control over their lives or try a new and more effective antidepressant drug. In pursuit of health, happiness and power, humans will gradually change first one of their features and then another, and another, until they will no longer be human.”

― Yuval Noah Harari, Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow

Edited by MattP

Small Great Things by Jodie Picout- it is about a black nurse who get hauled to the court on a murder charge because one of babies on the ward who the nurse were banned from caring for by supremacist parents died when the black nurse was in the room.  It is written in three perspective, the nurse, the father and the lawyer so it deals with courtroom drama and racism.  Enjoying it very much at the moment.  

4 hours ago, MattP said:

Ordered the two books by Yuval Noah Harari, Sapiens and Homo Deus, anyone read them?

It had a great review in the ST of Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow - a few weeks ago and it claimed it was the most thought provoking book of the year.

“Every day millions of people decide to grant their smartphone a bit more control over their lives or try a new and more effective antidepressant drug. In pursuit of health, happiness and power, humans will gradually change first one of their features and then another, and another, until they will no longer be human.”

― Yuval Noah Harari, Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow

Both on my to read list but need something a little more light hearted before I get these

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...