Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
escape2victory

McAuley

I think it's a bit harsh to judge him on two games that have come at the end of a long season. I've only seen clips of his goals so I can't judge him properly either. My biggest worry would be can he make the jump up to the Championship and still perform as he has done for Lincoln in League two?

Defo. Huge jump. Have to get him on a free TBH.

from the IMPS site:

He's outta contract 30th June!

Players out of contract on June 30th 2006 who have been offered new terms for the 2006/07 season:

Gary Birch, Gareth McAuley, Marvin Robinson and Simon Yeo.

Is he honestly out of contract? Excellent, so we can get him on a free? How come this information hasn't been made aware already? :D

A new centre-back wouldn't be my priority looking at our squad. It's fair to say we don't defend crosses or set pieces well, but that's down to more than just the central defenders. I think the one thing that Kisnorbo added as a midfielder was the ability to challenge in the air, something foreign to the likes of Williams and Hughes. I'd like to see a combative central midfielder come in to supplement the defence.

Rab either can't or won't go for crosses either. At least Henderson has the occaisional attempt.

When we signed Elliott he must have been mid twenties and was playing lower league football. A big strong centreback who can defend corners and free kicks will add a lot of balance to our defense.

Hopefully he will be good enough to help get us out of this division, which isn't really about pretty football there are a lot of pyhisical sides in this divsion and we need to be able to cope with them.

Haven't read all the posts on this second page, but just to clarify a few things.

Yes, he's out of contract, Keith Alexander has offered him a new contract and he's gone away to think about it while he trains with Northern Ireland.

He only came to English League football 2 years ago when Lincoln signed him for £10,000 from Coleraine (I think) after a pre-season tour to Ireland, which could explain why he's in his mid 20s and playing in League 2 still.

Crewe sorted out a deal for £150,000 in January but couldn't agree terms with McAuley so he stayed at Lincoln.

He's been Lincoln's best defender this season and has scored 5 goals, he was named in the League 2 team of the season as well by his fellow professionals.

He's on a free, get him involved.

Can you tell I was reading the Lincolnshire Echo last night?

and Dion Dublin to return as Assistant Manager/Player/Boardroom rep/Groundsman/turnstile operative/filbert fox/cinema usher at the odeon

and according to rumour just a General Big Knob :P:whistle:

Transfer progress waits for McAuley tour

Lincoln have given Leicester City boss Robert Kelly permission to open transfer talks with defender Gareth McAuley.

But finalising any deal will have to wait for another week because the 26-year-old is on international duty with Northern Ireland.

National boss Lawrie Sanchez has included six uncapped players for a tour of the United States and McAuley will be looking to add to his three previous caps as part of an 18-man squad selected for games against Uruguay in New Jersey tomorrow and Romania in Chicago on Friday.

I understand there was time for preliminary talks to be opened before McAuley jetted out with the squad yesterday.

City are confident the proposed transfer will not suffer any setbacks because McAuley seemed to be on the verge of moving to the Walkers Stadium last season but nothing came of the speculation at that time.

However, until the deal is signed and sealed, City will not take anything for granted, as their interest is bound to alert any other interested parties.

No other transfer activity appears to be in the pipeline yet, but Kelly does hope to make the right signings, in number and quality, to allow his squad to build on their progress in the latter part of last season.

www.thebluearmy.co.uk

Looks like it's almost completed.

Why do we need permission from Lincoln, he is out of contract and is avaliable on a free.

He's under contract at the minute - until he is actually out of contract (June 1st most likely) we require permission to speak to him.

Just because a season has ended, doesn't mean the contract has :thumbup:

McAuley's over six feet tall and scored five goals last season. If we got 10 goals from our centre-backs next season that would be a significant improvement.

We need someone with aerial presence in both boxes. There are players we can shed to accomodate McAuley - players who don't ever score.

He's 26 which is much more the sort of age I'd like our older players to be. He will still be ambitious and with any luck there would be some mileage and some remaining potential in him. The club badly needs some muscle.

So good signing? I don't know. I've not seen him play. Twenty six is getting on to be playing Division Two football. People will have watched him and, presumably, rejected him for higher things.

However Dario Gradi wanted him and he's an experienced judge.

As a coach Kelly may believe he can improve the player, and at 26 he might be right.

At worst he would be defensive cover of a more threatening nature than what we have.

Wasn't Matt Elliott 28 when 'MON' signed him?

He's under contract at the minute - until he is actually out of contract (June 1st most likely) we require permission to speak to him.

Just because a season has ended, doesn't mean the contract has :thumbup:

You're forgetting the Bosman ruling. He's allowed to negotiate pre-contract agreements with other clubs 6 months before his current contract expires. We don't need permission from Lincoln.

You're forgetting the Bosman ruling. He's allowed to negotiate pre-contract agreements with other clubs 6 months before his current contract expires. We don't need permission from Lincoln.

What we have to bear in mind is that this was published by bluearmy.co.uk, and may have been written by someone who doesn't really know what they're talking about. ;)

Archived