Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Team v Wolves

Things really need shaking up. We are on the worst run of results since last December/January under our beloved but now departed Craig Levein. Now, I know Kelly would never make drastic changes to formation, style of play, etc but it needs to be done. How has Alan Maybury wormed his way back in to the starting line-up? Have we picked up a single point since he's been in the starting XI? And Low? Hows he got another chance, grotesque scenes.

My proposals would be to bring in Dodds, Sheehan and Gradel in to the fold. Controversial and not proven, but will they let us down any more than Low, McCarthy, Fryatt, etc? We've too many crap players and under-achievers in our team and the manager is proving just as bad, he must change things as a last throw of the dice.

I'd keep Logan as goalie. Ok, so he's not kept many clean sheets but that's not entirely down to him. If the defence and midfield cannot clear their lines and defend properly then eventually the goalie will be beaten. He's pulled off some quality saves and Henderson and Rab are no better so he should continue to play and gain experience. His kicking has got worse recently, if I were him i'd consider not trying to leather the bastard every time he kicks it. Vary his kicking and try to pick out a shorter option instead of going long all the time.

My defence would be Richard Stearman, Patrick Kisnorbo and Nils-Eric Johansson as a 3 man central partnership. Now, I'm torn between playing a 3-5-2 and a 3-4-1-2. With Stearman being mobile and Nisse having experience at playing left back they can get across the defence ok.

Midfield depending on who's fit would be Max Gradel at right wing and see how he does, Gareth Williams and James Wesolowski in the centre if fit, if not then Hughes and whoever else is available other than Johnson. Left wing has to be Levi Porter, the last few games has shown that he's our best option down the left.

I'd then play Iain Hume behind Louis Dodds and Matty Fryatt. Elvis is probably playing better than Fryatt, but I still can't legislate for his dreadful finishing and in the right system, Fryatt will still come good.

The emphasis has got to be on passing and closing down the opposition quickly. Plenty of movement from our midfielders and from Hume, looking for the ball and then feeding it through to Dodds and Fryatt. Dodds also likes to drop deep, which means that both he and Hume can make sure that they get the ball in to areas that Fryatt thrives upon. Gradel and Porter offer the side width and pace, there might be concerns on whether Gradel could defend effectively, especially without a designated full-back behind him. But Stearman and Wesolowski could help cover him quite easily. His pace and trickery would push teams back and allow our midfielders to get in positions they never seem to get in with our un-inventive 4-4-2 that Kelly plays.

So to clarify my line-up.

Logan

Stearman

Kisnorbo ©

Nisse

Gradel

Wesolowski

Williams

Porter

Hume

Dodds

Fryatt

Subs: Sheehan, McAuley, Henderson, Hughes, Elvis

I'd like to see whether Sheehan would grab a re-call with both hands and show his potential he showed in his first few games for us. It's a gamble and he's hardly teared it up at Mansfield but we are at rock bottom at the minute and fresh ideas are needed.

There's possibly flaws in my team and formation, but there are masses in our current set-up and style and it must change.

Do the job.

Logan

Stearman

Nils

McAuley

Kisnorbo

Sylla

Porter

Williams

Weso

Hume

Fryatt

Subs:

Hendo

Hughes

Low

Hammond

Maybury

Id swap Nils for Maybury - hes been good there - and start Hughes instead of Williams, maybe give Williams second half.

Also, id leave hammond off the bench and give Louis Dodds his place, bring him on in the second half maybe. We've recalled him from loan so might as well get him involved

Things really need shaking up. We are on the worst run of results since last December/January under our beloved but now departed Craig Levein. Now, I know Kelly would never make drastic changes to formation, style of play, etc but it needs to be done. How has Alan Maybury wormed his way back in to the starting line-up? Have we picked up a single point since he's been in the starting XI? And Low? Hows he got another chance, grotesque scenes.

My proposals would be to bring in Dodds, Sheehan and Gradel in to the fold. Controversial and not proven, but will they let us down any more than Low, McCarthy, Fryatt, etc? We've too many crap players and under-achievers in our team and the manager is proving just as bad, he must change things as a last throw of the dice.

I'd keep Logan as goalie. Ok, so he's not kept many clean sheets but that's not entirely down to him. If the defence and midfield cannot clear their lines and defend properly then eventually the goalie will be beaten. He's pulled off some quality saves and Henderson and Rab are no better so he should continue to play and gain experience. His kicking has got worse recently, if I were him i'd consider not trying to leather the bastard every time he kicks it. Vary his kicking and try to pick out a shorter option instead of going long all the time.

My defence would be Richard Stearman, Patrick Kisnorbo and Nils-Eric Johansson as a 3 man central partnership. Now, I'm torn between playing a 3-5-2 and a 3-4-1-2. With Stearman being mobile and Nisse having experience at playing left back they can get across the defence ok.

Midfield depending on who's fit would be Max Gradel at right wing and see how he does, Gareth Williams and James Wesolowski in the centre if fit, if not then Hughes and whoever else is available other than Johnson. Left wing has to be Levi Porter, the last few games has shown that he's our best option down the left.

I'd then play Iain Hume behind Louis Dodds and Matty Fryatt. Elvis is probably playing better than Fryatt, but I still can't legislate for his dreadful finishing and in the right system, Fryatt will still come good.

The emphasis has got to be on passing and closing down the opposition quickly. Plenty of movement from our midfielders and from Hume, looking for the ball and then feeding it through to Dodds and Fryatt. Dodds also likes to drop deep, which means that both he and Hume can make sure that they get the ball in to areas that Fryatt thrives upon. Gradel and Porter offer the side width and pace, there might be concerns on whether Gradel could defend effectively, especially without a designated full-back behind him. But Stearman and Wesolowski could help cover him quite easily. His pace and trickery would push teams back and allow our midfielders to get in positions they never seem to get in with our un-inventive 4-4-2 that Kelly plays.

Logan

Stearman

Kisnorbo ©

Nisse

Gradel

Wesolowski

Williams

Porter

Hume

Dodds

Fryatt

I'd like to see whether Sheehan would grab a re-call with both hands and show his potential he showed in his first few games for us. It's a gamble and he's hardly teared it up at Mansfield but we are at rock bottom at the minute and fresh ideas are needed.

There's possibly flaws in my team and formation, but there are masses in our current set-up and style and it must change.

Do the job.

Good post. Sheehans injured though, and god knows what the state of play Wesolowski is.

Referring back to Ric's first post the idea I like most is playing Hume behind the two strikers.

This places an emphasis on attack and if Hume can find those spaces in front of the defence it gives the opposition something else to worry about. It will also hopefully create space for Fryatt which is what the guy needs to compensate for this perceived lack of pace being discussed in other topics on the forum.

Hume often drops deep to look for the ball, having him play behind two strikers means this tendency won't negate the attacking threat as we will still have two men in forward positions.

It also means there is more of a sound link between what we all know is a weak midfield and the strikers. Hume will almost be helping the midfield out in their service to the front men.

And finally it's a change and that's exactly what we need right now. While it may not be earth shatteringly radical it could and should have a positive impact.

4-3-3 might be an idea (?)

Logan

Stearman Kisnorbo McAuley Nissa

Sylla Williams Tiatto

Hume

Dodds Hammond

...but we all know RK will stick with 4-4-2 and go with somthing like...

Logan

Stearman Kisnorbo McAuley Mabbs

Low Hughes Williams Tiatto

Hume Fryatt

:(

Logan

Stearman

Kisnorbo ©

Nisse

Gradel

Wesolowski

Williams

Porter

Hume

Dodds

Fryatt

Do the job.

Well argued post. I'd put McAuley in a 4 man defence, leave Fryatt on bench (or poss O'Grady) and have Sylla in the team instead of Gradel. At least Sheehan and Dodds have been out on loan. Not aware that Gradel has yet.

Well argued post. I'd put McAuley in a 4 man defence, leave Fryatt on bench (or poss O'Grady) and have Sylla in the team instead of Gradel. At least Sheehan and Dodds have been out on loan. Not aware that Gradel has yet.

Until his suspension Gradel was getting plenty of football so didn't need to go out on loan. Sheehan and Dodds have now been at least three and two weeks without competitive football respectively, about the same as Gradel.

I've no idea if any of them are properly fit.

Good post. Sheehans injured though, and god knows what the state of play Wesolowski is.

I thought Sheehan was fit now? I'm sure I heard Birch say the other week that Leicester only had 17 fit players and the one player who'd miss out from the 16 was likely to be Sheehan? The amount of injuries we've had this season is disturbing, another sign of potential poor coaching and fitness methods?

I thought Sheehan was fit now? I'm sure I heard Birch say the other week that Leicester only had 17 fit players and the one player who'd miss out from the 16 was likely to be Sheehan? The amount of injuries we've had this season is disturbing, another sign of potential poor coaching and fitness methods?

Maybe so then.

It could be, could be coinsidence, could be our lack of depth is making it seem worse than it is, I mean how many injuries have we actually got 4? 5? not that many in the great scheme of things.

Logan

Stearman Kisnorbo McAuley Nissa

Sylla Williams Tiatto

Hume

Dodds Hammond

Not a bad call for 4-3-3 with Hume playing behind the strikers. Would be unfair to drop Hughes after his Frank Lampard moment on Saturday though so I would probably play him instead of Sylla who imho has not done much to deserve a place.

Maybe so then.

It could be, could be coinsidence, could be our lack of depth is making it seem worse than it is, I mean how many injuries have we actually got 4? 5? not that many in the great scheme of things.

There have been several players though that have been injured frequently, I know that could be classed as a player being injury prone but having 4 or 5 of them in one small squad isn't good enough. Kenton, Johnson, Williams, Wesolowski and O'Grady have all had several different or re-occuring injuries this season for us. Other than Wesolowski I can't recall these players being classed as injury prone in recent seasons for us or other clubs. Not to mention Tiatto who is usually our prolific injury sustained player.

I think there are question marks over the fitness and coaching work at this club, it's just another big concern along with players playing out of position, players off form, badly disciplined, negative tactics, unrest in the dressing room, etc. Kelly's well and truelly lost it, I can't see a way back for him. The board must act now, even with the take-over in negotiations.

logan

mcauley kisnorbo nils

stearman hughes weso williams porter

hume fryatt

subs, henderson, maybury, welsh, dodds, hammond

hughes gets a lot of stick but he the only one from midfield that looks likely to score.

the perfect centre midfield, hughes (goals), weso (tackling), williams (passing) :whistle::thumbup:

There have been several players though that have been injured frequently, I know that could be classed as a player being injury prone but having 4 or 5 of them in one small squad isn't good enough. Kenton, Johnson, Williams, Wesolowski and O'Grady have all had several different or re-occuring injuries this season for us. Other than Wesolowski I can't recall these players being classed as injury prone in recent seasons for us or other clubs. Not to mention Tiatto who is usually our prolific injury sustained player.

I think there are question marks over the fitness and coaching work at this club, it's just another big concern along with players playing out of position, players off form, badly disciplined, negative tactics, unrest in the dressing room, etc. Kelly's well and truelly lost it, I can't see a way back for him. The board must act now, even with the take-over in negotiations.

Well Johnsons old, and Williams's carrys on getting injured because we keep bringing him back to soon, same with Wesolowski and Kenton has always had a bit of a suspect calf if memorey serves.

Although there could be something in the training, it's a bit speculative to say things like that. As you say though, with all the other things going on you can't help but wonder.

Well Johnsons old, and Williams's carrys on getting injured because we keep bringing him back to soon, same with Wesolowski and Kenton has always had a bit of a suspect calf if memorey serves.

Although there could be something in the training, it's a bit speculative to say things like that. As you say though, with all the other things going on you can't help but wonder.

The reason i'm saying it is down to the condition of the players in the first few games of the season, never in my life have I seen a team as un-fit as our lot after a full pre-season. I know we've had a fairly hot summer and it can't have been nice training in that heat, but I can't imagine Kelly allowed them to get out of hard training because of it? If anything the weather should have got them fitter.

Agree with Ric's formation, but these are desperate times so rather than going for something different, I can see Kelly playing safe and opting for the old 4-5-1 which gained us a 0-0 last season at Wolves.

Possibly the worst game I've ever been to.

The reason i'm saying it is down to the condition of the players in the first few games of the season, never in my life have I seen a team as un-fit as our lot after a full pre-season. I know we've had a fairly hot summer and it can't have been nice training in that heat, but I can't imagine Kelly allowed them to get out of hard training because of it? If anything the weather should have got them fitter.

True, they did look a yard or 10 off the pace in August.

What with injuries and mysteries it seems there are question marks over the following: McCarthy (out anyway) Nils, Sheehan, Weso, Williams, Sylla, Tiatto, Johnson, Kenton.

Dodds has been out of action two weeks (and has not played much anyway) and Gradel has been suspended for three weeks so he'll be the same.

Welsh has never looked fit since he's been here and the same could be said of Fryatt. That's 12 players, yet eight could probably play although whether they'd all be fully fit in another matter.

So:

Logan;

Stearman, McAuley, Kisnorbo, Sheehan (if fit) or Nils;

King, Hughes/Williams, Porter;

Hammond, Hume, Dodds.

Subs: Maybury, Wesolowski, Gradel, Fryatt, Williams/Hughes.

With people like King, Porter, Stearman, Dodds in the side I'd play Sheehan if fit to give them the best chance of operating as they are used to, that is pushing up, instead of risking a mix and match situation which might make it harder for them to adapt.

Hammond and Hume and Porter offer some pace going forward, King, Hume two players bursting into the box, there are five players able to provide width and I see Hughes or Williams in the central role anyway and Wesolowski operating as either's replacement. I'd make McAuley captain.

It's a perfectly reasonable and balanced side and a basis for some progress. It would need to play well as a unit to beat Wolves. But som would any line-up we put out.

untitledri8.png

SUBS: Douglas, Sylla, Tiatto, McCauley, Hammond

I'd have Stearman dropping back to support the defense with Hume drifting wide to cover, allowing Williams/Hughes to push forward.

You need to rejig - McCarthy's suspended. :thumbup:

And you've also misspelled birthday boy's name. :( :( :cry: :cry:

I don't think bringing Sheehan back would achieve anything. Nissa is playing well at the moment, and for some reason he isn't in the side.

I have never seen Dodds play, although I would like to see him drafted into the side just to see what he can do. Who knows, we may have another Heskey on our hands?

Archived