Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ScrumpyFox

Andy King/Carl Pentney

City check out Leicester duo

YORK City boss Billy McEwan ran the rule over Leicester City teenagers Andy King and Carl Pentney during last night's 5-0 friendly win at Sheffield FC.

Midfielder King played the first 45 minutes at last season's Northern Counties East League champions while goalkeeper Pentney was introduced as a half-time substitute for Tom Evans during a game in which Richard Brodie (2), Stuart Elliott, Onome Sodje and Manny Panther found the net.

King and Pentney were both members of Leicester's FA Premier League Group B' title-winning academy side last season.

advertisement

King scored eight goals in 21 appearances for the young Foxes while Pentney enjoyed 20 outings and both players were rewarded with professional contracts, meaning manager Martin Allen is only likely to sanction a loan move to the Minstermen.

But City boss McEwan has not indicated that he will be making any decisions yet, simply saying: "We had a look at the two young boys from Leicester and they both did OK."

Fellow trialist Brian Dutton did not play in last night's game after a family bereavement but Carl Jones, currently playing for City on the same basis, started the game before picking up a knock and being substituted in the later stages.

Utility man Ross Greenwood filled in at centre-back for the last ten minutes having earlier been introduced on the left side of midfield.

Ben Purkiss also replaced David McGurk at half-time, giving the first hints that McEwan could consider the former Gainsborough Trinity right-back for a central defensive role when the Blue Square Premier season kicks off with a home game against Cambridge United a week on Saturday.

McEwan remained non-committal on that subject but was fulsome in his praise of ex-Manchester United trainee Greenwood, saying: "Ross is our Mr Versatile. He's a natural footballer and, if you ask him to do a job, he will do it.

"He has been doing well in the centre of midfield but he can play anywhere. He's a good type and that's why he's still at the club."

McEwan was also pleased that goalscorer Elliott completed his first 90 minutes since February and enjoyed an imposing midfield performance.

The City boss added: "Stuart is an experienced player who knows what it's all about. He's not played much competitive football since getting injured at Northwich early in the year but you can see his fitness and touch coming back.

"The game was a competitive match for us on a good surface. We played a lot of good football and created some good situations in the final third of the pitch."

Looks like they would only leave on loan, as they recently signed contracts with us, but what does everybody think to this?

I thought Andy King was going to be the next big thing!? :thumbup:

Going out on loan might be good for them, but what about keeping them in the youth team and winning another title??!

lol

i like the idea but MM && MA will be thinking long term. first team football wont hurt them at all.

He is!

Just like Stuart Campbell, Stuart Wilson, Jonathon Stevenson, Jon Ashton, Stephen Dawson, Tommy Wright, Tomi Petrescu, Alan Sheehan and Louis Dodds were. Or are.

Or something.

Do you see?

:) You missed Oakes out!!!

If I listed every player who *someone* has got overly excited about and hasn't made the grade, I'd be here all day.

The point is that there is a big gulf between youth football and Championship football.

How many of those are playing competitive Championship football now?

The irritating thing of course is that by the law of averages, eventually, when one does make it, all we'll get is 'I told you so' etc etc etc etc. It's a case of say every one of them is amazing in order that certain posters can take the plaudits if and when one of them DOES make it.

If I listed every player who *someone* has got overly excited about and hasn't made the grade, I'd be here all day.

The point is that there is a big gulf between youth football and Championship football.

The irritating thing of course is that by the law of averages, eventually, when one does make it, all we'll get is 'I told you so' etc etc etc etc. It's a case of say every one of them is amazing in order that certain posters can take the plaudits if and when one of them DOES make it.

I remember when we won 2-1 at Wolves last season and Hammond and Porter scored our goals and everyone was having a right wank over Thracian.

Funny how things change for players in 6 months.

Once a players loaned out it is very hard for them to make it into the first team. Goalkeepers are an exception though as they rarely reach their best form early in their career.

You only need to look at the recent fate of our academy graduates.

Richard Stearman, Joe Mattock, James Wesolowski, Levi Porter - Not loaned

Louis Dodds, Chris O'Grady, Alan Sheehan - Loaned

If the club rate a player they almost certainly won't loan him out. Many rated Fabrice Muamba, Giussepe Rossi etc. but once your shipped out on loan your on a slippery slope.

It just seems a bit strange that they would take them on trial in a pre-season friendly if they are only going to sign them on loan? Otherwise I would just assume its just your standard 'give them some 1st team action' type of loan

Looks like they are out the door to me?...

Once a players loaned out it is very hard for them to make it into the first team. Goalkeepers are an exception though as they rarely reach their best form early in their career.

You only need to look at the recent fate of our academy graduates.

Richard Stearman, Joe Mattock, James Wesolowski, Levi Porter - Not loaned

Louis Dodds, Chris O'Grady, Alan Sheehan - Loaned

If the club rate a player they almost certainly won't loan him out. Many rated Fabrice Muamba, Giussepe Rossi etc. but once your shipped out on loan your on a slippery slope.

I agree with what you say in a way but Dodds and Sheehan were loaned out too late in their careers for me. Neither has still had a full season of competitive football and they're 21 or so now.

O'Grady had plenty of opportunities to impress after coming back from Diamonds but he's just garbage.

I agree with what you say in a way but Dodds and Sheehan were loaned out too late in their careers for me. Neither has still had a full season of competitive football and they're 21 or so now.

O'Grady had plenty of opportunities to impress after coming back from Diamonds but he's just garbage.

Perhaps, but my example was more to show that if you are loaned out it makes your job of getting into the first team much harder because clubs don't tend to loan players who stand a good chance of breaking into the first team. Don't have anything against any of those players :cool:

Patience is a key factor when working with young players. But as someone said fans are fickle people and expect ready-made champions.

What I don't agree with is the large number of players retained from the academy team. They'll limit each other's chances of getting in the team.

Patience is a key factor when working with young players. But as someone said fans are fickle people and expect ready-made champions.

What I don't agree with is the large number of players retained from the academy team. They'll limit each other's chances of getting in the team.

So what you're saying is we should have let more of the title winning academy side go rather than giving them their chance to continue their development???

That kind of approach could really come back to haunt us.

Going out on loan might be good for them, but what about keeping them in the youth team and winning another title??!

They're getting a bit old for that now. In fact most of our team were too old last time round. They need to start playing more senior football, whether that be in the reserves league or elsewhere on loan.

But there are examples that go against that, David Beckham, John Terry, Frank Lampard to name a few.

But there are examples that go against that, David Beckham, John Terry, Frank Lampard to name a few.

I know what you mean but when a player is sent out on loan, they are often 'forgotten men' ok so they may send a scout to watch them and get updates from the manager as to how they are playing, but they are not involved in the day to day bonding, banter on the training ground etc. the manager does not get much of a chance to see you first hand and before you know it the player becomes settled where they are, we may be doing ok and think that we dont need them and before you know it the club has put in a small bid and taken the player from us

Just hope this doesnt happen to the majority of our academy lads, as it seems (from people on here) that a lot of them are quite highly thought of

King is held in very high regard by the club. He was the only player to be given a two year deal as opposed to just the one year. They just want him to get some competitive senior football.

Indeed and I absolutely mean it when I say best of luck to him.

To be honest, his best chance is obviously going to be if we DON'T become a premiership outfit over the next couple of years.

We just can't get too excited about these lads as it really is a big step up.

King is held in very high regard by the club. He was the only player to be given a two year deal as opposed to just the one year. They just want him to get some competitive senior football.

If he has the potential to play in the Championship, or even the Premiership should we be promoted, why would he go on loan to a Conference club? Surely even reserve level football is better than that, if not quite so intense.

If he has the potential to play in the Championship, or even the Premiership should we be promoted, why would he go on loan to a Conference club? Surely even reserve level football is better than that, if not quite so intense.

I dunno, is reserve team footy better then conference level????? I suppose conference level would be more competitive!!!!!

Bit harsh to say that, he could go and rip the conference apart for all we know.

Allen probably feels the physicalness (nice word) of the conference will help develop King into a stronger mentally and physcially player, to play in midfield.

It'll be a good test for him, if he doesn't really stand out or impress then we will know he's probably not going to make out, if he makes an IMPACT, then he might get given a few chances here, or loaned out to a league 1/championship team.

Reserve level isn't much more competitive than a pre-season friendly. Conference football at least is ultra-competitive. He will still have to stand out there to impress our club, which is a good thing really. They need to take him on trial because they won't have seen him at all. Fingers crossed he goes there and does well. Another season playing non-competitive football here would be an incredible waste. He needs toughening up.

Reserve level isn't much more competitive than a pre-season friendly. Conference football at least is ultra-competitive. He will still have to stand out there to impress our club, which is a good thing really. They need to take him on trial because they won't have seen him at all. Fingers crossed he goes there and does well. Another season playing non-competitive football here would be an incredible waste. He needs toughening up.

If people are saying that conference is too low a level, just send the fookers to 'boot camp' instead, that will toughen em up!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Archived