Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
demon_dog

Do we really have Kevin Keegan as Manager?

From Leicester Mercury.

Attack is the key for City

by Bill Anderson

Leicester City will be going in only one direction on the pitch this season - forward.

That is manager Martin Allen's aim after putting his attacking style across to his new squad.

Allen said: “When we are not winning, we could play one at the back, chuck on as many as we can, throw them all forward and go for it.

“If we are going to lose, we are going to lose.''

In some of the build-up matches, notably last weekend against Portsmouth, Allen tried a three-man defence during a much improved second-half display.

City ultimately lost 3-1 while chasing an equaliser, but there could be exciting times ahead.

Allen said: “I could have kept it tight against Portsmouth and lost 2-1. But I prefer to go forward and see what happens.

“The chances were there, we caught them by surprise a little bit and we might have got a break.â€

Allen's pledge that his team will get goals has been underlined by the signing of DJ Campbell and Carl Cort, and the resurgence of Mark de Vries.

In addition, the promotion of Eric Odhiambo and the acquisition of Ricky Sappleton give City a cutting edge for the present as well as the future.

Allen's main striker, Iain Hume, has looked in dynamic form during pre-season.

With Matty Fryatt starting to weigh in as well, the new faces will have to earn their places.

Allen believes his City set-up is on schedule for the season in every department, even with the loss through the weather of the pre-season match at Mansfield.

He said: “I think we are at the stage we wanted to be, and it is credit to the players for all the hard work they have put in.

“There are a few knocks that we have had to deal with, but overall we are in good shape.

“The ideas have been put across, the players have responded well and now we can't wait to get started.

“Blackpool will be no push-overs. They finished with a run of 10 wins on their way to promotion and no team does that without being good. But we will be ready for them.â€

* To mark the start of the football season, the Sporting Blue will be on sale at half-price - only 25p - this week. Don't miss this bargain, it's out on Friday.

Sounds reminiscent of the Keegan era at Newcastle, you score 3 we'll score 4 :thumbup:

From Leicester Mercury.

by Bill Anderson

Leicester City will be going in only one direction on the pitch this season - forward.

That is manager Martin Allen's aim after putting his attacking style across to his new squad.

Allen said: “When we are not winning, we could play one at the back, chuck on as many as we can, throw them all forward and go for it.

In some of the build-up matches, notably last weekend against Portsmouth, Allen tried a three-man defence during a much improved second-half display.

City ultimately lost 3-1 while chasing an equaliser, but there could be exciting times ahead.

Allen said: “I could have kept it tight against Portsmouth and lost 2-1. But I prefer to go forward and see what happens.

“The chances were there, we caught them by surprise a little bit and we might have got a break.â€

Allen's pledge that his team will get goals has been underlined by the signing of DJ Campbell and Carl Cort, and the resurgence of Mark de Vries.

In addition, the promotion of Eric Odhiambo and the acquisition of Ricky Sappleton give City a cutting edge for the present as well as the future.

With Matty Fryatt starting to weigh in as well, the new faces will have to earn their places.

Allen believes his City set-up is on schedule for the season in every department, even with the loss through the weather of the pre-season match at Mansfield.

He said: “I think we are at the stage we wanted to be, and it is credit to the players for all the hard work they have put in.

“There are a few knocks that we have had to deal with, but overall we are in good shape.

“The ideas have been put across, the players have responded well and now we can't wait to get started.

“Blackpool will be no push-overs. They finished with a run of 10 wins on their way to promotion and no team does that without being good. But we will be ready for them.â€

* To mark the start of the football season, the Sporting Blue will be on sale at half-price - only 25p - this week. Don't miss this bargain, it's out on Friday.

Sounds reminiscent of the Keegan era at Newcastle, you score 3 we'll score 4 :thumbup:

City job will be a test for MA, I don't think we have the strongest of defences to be a free flowing attacking side and lack some attacking options, but I think he will learn and get the mixture just right!!!

City job will be a test for MA, I don't think we have the strongest of defences to be a free flowing attacking side and lack some attacking options, but I think he will learn and get the mixture just right!!!

I really hate it when people feel the need to quote the first post especially when it is really long :rolleyes:

Anway, I agree with you. :thumbup:

From Leicester Mercury.

by Bill Anderson

There's going to be alot of 'bulging' at the Walkers this season then, ohh and we might see a few goals as well :whistle:

From Leicester Mercury.

by Bill Anderson

I notice this thread refers to Kevin Keegan.

Nice.

surely having a go is a far better idea and plan than both Levein and Kellys policy of sitting back and hoping for a 1-0 win!! basically what he is saying imo is they are going to give it a real go and take the game to the other teams instead of being walked all over like the past couple of seasons

Any old crap to make sure the stadium is as full as possible! Its all good if we are going to be playing great attarctive football but the emphasis must be on results so if we end up like boring De**y with about 20 1-0`s then so be it if it means we get out of this division somehow.

One things for certain about MA though. If we are losing by one with 10-15 mins to go, we wont be dying without trying! Thats the one quote that could mean a lot as he doesnt seem to care if we lose 1-2 or 1-4 as long as we have tried.

You can't really complain. He's saying everything right :thumbup:

And I would rather lose 4-1 after putting loads of strikers on, at least we tried, rather than sticking out for just a 2-1 loss or something.

Mr. Anderson must be short of a story if that passes as a news article. What manager would not throw players forward when losing a game with time running out and points drifting away. The man should get his arse into gear and report something we don't already know.

Blanderson argues a point of view but it doesn't stand up.

I cannot recall MA wholeheartedly attacking any of our pre-season games.

And in the decent games against Kilmarnock and Portsmouth he waited til we were a goal down before committing to sustained attack.

But who knows what he's got planned for the real games?.

Historically his teams have scored goals although my feeling is that he's not quite got the nerve to stay committed to attack whatever the circumstances.

I suspect that's why MD fans say he's lost games he should have won and why he's finished in the top six instead of the top two.

Things he's done with team selections suggest it too but we'll see.

Whatever tactics he adopts his team hasn't had time enough together yet to draw opinions as to whether they're the right ones and whether they'll work.

There's more than one way to win football matches but as yet I've seen no evidence to back Bill Anderson's suggestion that MA is especially attack-minded - much less a Mark 11 Kevin Keegan as mentioned in the Posting strapline..

To date he's never picked teams with sufficient potential scorers/creators to justify that view.

That might change Saturday but I doubt it.

The target should be seven but he usually settles for 5.5/6 on the basis that I rate them.

Historically his teams have scored goals although my feeling is that he's not quite got the nerve to stay committed to attack whatever the circumstances.

There are occasions in a football match where it isn't a good idea to commit to attack whatever the circumstances ya know.

Blanderson argues a point of view but it doesn't stand up.

I cannot recall MA wholeheartedly attacking any of our pre-season games.

And in the decent games against Kilmarnock and Portsmouth he waited til we were a goal down before committing to sustained attack.

But who knows what he's got planned for the real games?.

I suspect that's why MD fans say he's lost games he should have won and why he's finished in the top six instead of the top two.

Things he's done with team selections suggest it too but we'll see.

Whatever tactics he adopts his team hasn't had time enough together yet to draw opinions as to whether they're the right ones and whether they'll work.

There's more than one way to win football matches but as yet I've seen no evidence to back Bill Anderson's suggestion that MA is especially attack-minded - much less a Mark 11 Kevin Keegan as mentioned in the Posting strapline..

To date he's never picked teams with sufficient potential scorers/creators to justify that view.

That might change Saturday but I doubt it.

The target should be seven but he usually settles for 5.5/6 on the basis that I rate them.

What??? :dunno:

When you're getting mullered. You can't just toss men forward when you're getting battered, it doesn't work like that.

Well actually you can...but you need ability and confidence ...the jury's out about the ability but we can't possibly have the confidence...yet! :unsure:

When you're getting mullered. You can't just toss men forward when you're getting battered, it doesn't work like that.

If you're getting hammered the higher up the field you play and the sooner you smoother the ball the better. It's highly likely that not doing that would be the reason you were getting battered in the first place.

If you're getting hammered the higher up the field you play and the sooner you smoother the ball the better. It's highly likely that not doing that would be the reason you were getting battered in the first place.

"Can everybody take a sodding chill pill ffs.

He is going to be a roaring success and our best manager since MON.

We will have a great season of attacking and winning football and then all the nay sayers can go fellate themselves "

I'm starting to feel deja vu here.

I'm Brian and so is my wife. :D

Archived