Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Filbert Street - The Legendary Home of Leicester City Football Club

Both Filbo and are current ground were/are shit, really.

One had 2 stands which were of a non-league standard and the other is the most boring stadium I've ever set eyes on.

There's no reason why we shouldn't have a unique, atmospheric ground that's big enough as well.

SK1 was great during the O'Neill years. Absolutely mental at times.

Yea I always remember it being good even in the Division 1, I never sat in SK1 but in the next set of seats SK2? with my dad was my first real taste of football and i loved it. The singing, and banter with the away fans, the Leicester fans would pick on someone with a pink top or some overweight guy and chant at him most the time they would just take it as harmless fun occasionally you would get someone who would just want to sink into the ground or get angry as ****, strangely it was usually a woman who got angry.

I remember playing Leeds one game in the Prem and the kop wouldn't leave this bird alone she was going mental trying to get at the leicester fans was funny she had to be restrained, Leeds fan were always loud, happy days :)

One had 2 stands which were of a non-league standard and the other is the most boring stadium I've ever set eyes on.

There's no reason why we shouldn't have a unique, atmospheric ground that's big enough as well.

Not trying to shoot you down but you where born in 1992 how would you know what Filbert Street Kop was like?

• Like 4

The away stand is awful to watch football from though.

Considering the design constraints (to allow light to the houses behind the stand) and what it replaced (the old Bridgford open terrace complete with massive floodlight pylons) I think it's quite a nice stand. Overall, the City Ground is a pretty good football stadium. The Main Stand could do with some TLC (or ideally replacing altogether).

Can't beat Filbert Street.

I remember cheering when the announcer asked the kids in the double decker to please stop throwing boiled sweets at the away fans... And i kind of miss those cold tuesdays evenings in the east stand with the smell of urine from those unsavory toilets mixing in with pipe tobacco....

That was a proper football stadium.

I genuinely believe if we add another deck onto our stadium it will have much more character. It's just the fact right now its a generic bowl.

Yeah even if there are some empty seats in an upper tier i'd like one just to make the stadium look abit different to others and like you say give is some character (Within reason, obviously if it's empty it would look very silly - That, I would not want.)

I'm not sure why but last season was the first time the KP has finally felt like home, maybe it's because it's been sold out for a majority of games this season, maybe it's the return of Premiership football, maybe it's the success's of the last few seasons, maybe it's the great atmosphere and introduction of the clappers, probably a mixture of those reason and more but it's the first time i've had that feeling in 13 years.

**Filbert Street still pisses all over the KP though.

Edited by Matt

It was a great old-fashioned stadium... but Filbo was a terrible stadium for actually watching football. I swear that from most seats in the East Stand you could only see about 60% of the pitch... The standing bit in front of the main stand was even worse, especially if you were in the corners...

And as for the family stand, Christ. I think Shepshed Charterhouse would be ashamed of it.

Remembering it all though just shows you how different going to a footy game was in those days.

The only worse ground I've ever been (for a 'big'' club) was the Dell at Southampton. Worst. Ground. Ever. 

1747.jpg

The main thing I miss from Filbert Street was the 'SCOREFLASH' Scoreboard. Used to get score updates during the game. The Main Stand would cheer when an interesting score came up and the away fans in the East Stand would wonder what on earth was going on as they couldn't see it or even knew it was there. Just random crowd noise to them :D .

• Like 2

The main thing I miss from Filbert Street was the 'SCOREFLASH' Scoreboard. Used to get score updates during the game. The Main Stand would cheer when an interesting score came up and the away fans in the East Stand would wonder what on earth was going on as they couldn't see it or even knew it was there. Just random crowd noise to them :D .

I suggested this to the club for the KP and it was deemed an 'interesting idea' if technology or Premier League would permit it. I presume it wasn't possible.

The main thing I miss from Filbert Street was the 'SCOREFLASH' Scoreboard. Used to get score updates during the game. The Main Stand would cheer when an interesting score came up and the away fans in the East Stand would wonder what on earth was going on as they couldn't see it or even knew it was there. Just random crowd noise to them :D .

That's if you could make out what the score was when it flashed up as most of the time it was missing letters and numbers.

That's if you could make out what the score was when it flashed up as most of the time it was missing letters and numbers.

part of the fun imo. 

used to love it when anc ester went 1 - blank against elsea 

• Like 1

Cheerful as ever :rolleyes:

Filbert Street p!sses all over the King Power. I'd swap back in a heart beat if I could, the club should have just brought the houses surrounding the kop and the away stand and built two more Carling stands, that would have taken us to around 40,000. I'm sure complications would have prevented this from happening however but still, its a pretty cool thought.

Filbert Street p!sses all over the King Power. I'd swap back in a heart beat if I could, the club should have just brought the houses surrounding the kop and the away stand and built two more Carling stands, that would have taken us to around 40,000. I'm sure complications would have prevented this from happening however but still, its a pretty cool thought.

They wanted to turn the pitch around but the Council turned down any sort of development that blocked the light to the houses on the other side of Burnmoor St.

They were then prevented from building a 40k stadium on Bede island due to pressure from a resident's group called Offside who said amongst other things it would block the light to the houses on Western Rd.

They were lucky to get the current site because it had already got planning permission for a Morrison's supermarket who fortunately let the planning application lapse enabling LCFC to get it otherwise we'd be talking about a stadium at Beaumont Leys and there was definitely a provisional application / plans for one at the back end of Glenfield.

• Like 1

They wanted to turn the pitch around but the Council turned down any sort of development that blocked the light to the houses on the other side of Burnmoor St.

They were then prevented from building a 40k stadium on Bede island due to pressure from a resident's group called Offside who said amongst other things it would block the light to the houses on Western Rd.

They were lucky to get the current site because it had already got planning permission for a Morrison's supermarket who fortunately let the planning application lapse enabling LCFC to get it otherwise we'd be talking about a stadium at Beaumont Leys and there was definitely a provisional application / plans for one at the back end of Glenfield.

Ah some good information there, cheers mate.

Yea I always remember it being good even in the Division 1, I never sat in SK1 but in the next set of seats SK2? with my dad was my first real taste of football and i loved it. The singing, and banter with the away fans, the Leicester fans would pick on someone with a pink top or some overweight guy and chant at him most the time they would just take it as harmless fun occasionally you would get someone who would just want to sink into the ground or get angry as ****, strangely it was usually a woman who got angry.

I remember playing Leeds one game in the Prem and the kop wouldn't leave this bird alone she was going mental trying to get at the leicester fans was funny she had to be restrained, Leeds fan were always loud, happy days :)

lol That used to be a great laugh, we'd wind someone up so much that they'd start going mental and get ejected. Used to be rammed in the small concourse at the back of the seats there, how I never pissed myself queuing for the toilets I'll never know. lol Edited by Vlad the Fox
  • Like 1

lol That used to be a great laugh, we'd wind someone up so much that they'd start going mental and get ejected. Used to be rammed in the small concourse at the back of the seats there, how I never pissed myself queuing for the toilets I'll never know. lol

It would always start with "who's the willy puller in the pink" then "what the ****ing hell is that" if they got pissed off :D most the time they guy in the shirt would just stand up like he didn't care with his arms aloft as if to say I don't give a shit. :)

From memory, I think the Bede Island plans were eventually dropped when the club fell out with the developers 'Goldwing' (?) although I can't remember the council ever refusing planning permission. That said, the 'Offside' group might've been the spanner if it got that far.

Morrison's were refused planning permission at Freeman's Wharf as the site was subject to a covenant that only allowed the land to be used for sporting activities. This was dragged through the courts for years until being finally thrown out by the House of Lords. The owners, Powergen, were very happy to sell the land to City (at a good price!) and the council pushed the planning through very quickly to ensure it was put to use whilst the opportunity remained. The club initially included retail units in the first draft plans but that was never likely to happen given the covenant and potential for a Morrison's appeal.

That's how I remember it, anyway.

What houses surrounded the kop?

I may be wrong you may know better but always thought the electricty board was behind the kop.

What houses surrounded the kop?

I may be wrong you may know better but always thought the electricty board was behind the kop.

No you're right there was plenty of space behind the (South Stand) Kop. The Shithole houses backed onto the east stand shed that the away fans sat in.