Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

virtual cd swap #2

I think I'd like to read why people included songs on their mix - that'd be interesting.

Especially LFF! :D

Bonobo - Days To Come

Start on a high note, one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Good little intro moving into a strong beat and then that voice. I think it sets a certain mood. I subscribed to eMusic for about nine months recently and this is the title track on one of the albums I bought. I agonised over choosing between this track and 'Nightlite' which is in a similar vein but more upbeat. Reminds me of driving to work past Abington Park in the early morning winter sun.

Quantic - The Sound of Everything (Watch TV & Senorlobo remix)

I used this mainly because it's a remix so figured even those who have Quantic albums might not have heard it. I think it flows well from the Bonobo song but moves things on a bit, being a bit more upbeat. It makes me think of the first song you want to dance to in a club. Something else I downloaded from eMusic.

Spanky Wilson & The Quantic Soul Orchestra - Waiting For Your Touch

No messing about now, no clever intros, straight into the hook and the vocals come in quickly. I particularly love the bit on 1:12 after the chorus when it kicks straight back into the hook. Again from eMusic as part of the album.

Breakestra - Hiding

eMusic! This album is something that always used to come up when I was buying hip-hop and soul stuff as being recommended and I finally got round to downloading it about three months ago. The whole album is great but this was the one that struck me at the time as instantly likeable which is sometimes important on a mixtape. There's no point putting fifteen "growers" on there if people are going to listen to it once and discard it. It's hard to dislike this song, it's reminiscent of the soul greats and even if it rips them off, there aren't as many people doing this kind of thing and making it widely available as there are doing Gang of Four impressions.

A Tribe Called Quest - Oh My God

Do you really need to ask? I've always loved Midnight Marauders but never really listened to it in depth. When I did recently, this track stood out a mile. Fits in well here I think.

Ray Charles - What'd I Say? (part 1)

To be honest I wanted some Chuck Berry on here but I haven't got round to ripping the 3-CD box set of his I bought recently and couldn't be arsed to do it prior to uploading this mix so I went for this instead which reminds me a bit of Chuck. I don't think there's any disgrace in sounding like a Tarantino soundtrack (or even Guy Ritchie... :rolleyes:) - he introduced me to Strawberry Letter 23 by the Brothers Johnson which was on the Jackie Brown soundtrack and is one of my favourite songs (nearly included it on here).

Seu Jorge - Carolina

Because you're all wrong and it's brilliant? :dunno::D Downloaded the album from eMusic. Not that dissimilar to what has come before but obviously a more Latin flavour. Racists! :giggle: (Love his voice)

The Count Five - Psychotic Reaction

I think they're a one-hit wonder from about 1965. I recently downloaded iTunes again after about a year without it when my old computer died. Decided to go through all the celebrity playlists and download the one song that I liked most, which was this - featured on Jon McClure (aka The Reverend)'s playlist. I love the tempo changes, when it speeds up and then goes back to the original tempo, you don't hear things like that much these days. Then on 2:30 it does it again! Put it on here specifically because I doubt many people would have heard it before (was interested that this was the only one that LFF had heard before!!)

Love - A House Is Not A Motel

This is my favourite track from my Dad's favourite album of all time. The Hellacopters did a good cover version of it. Recently we were talking about what music we wanted played at our funerals and he wants the closing track You Set The Scene which made me listen to the album again. Went to see them live with him before Arthur Lee died which was quite important to me. Another one which will be new to a couple of people.

Hank The Knife - Stan The Gunman

My Dad always does a "best of" CD every year which includes random things like this, even though I think this is from the 1970s. They're from Holland I think, from memory. Put it on here cos it's a laugh and no-one will have heard it before. It was my one trump card in that sense cos I'm sure Daggers has heard a couple of the other slightly odd tracks. Just looked it up on Google and it was Number 1 in Holland and Belgium! God knows how he heard it. Don't think it troubled our charts.

The Mules - Polly-O

Like Seu Jorge, another which took a bit of a slating (obviously I disagree). I went to see Good Shoes in Northampton last year (around July I think) and these were supporting. Took to them immediately. They've got a bit more about them than just being another indie band - the singer also plays drums, they've got a Chinese girl in violin and a double bassist who often misses recording sessions and the like because he's a composer for the London Symphony Orchestra. They used to curate every Monday night at the Big Chill House near Kings Cross station which I went down for once and they were brilliant again. I would have put my favourite track of theirs, Seasonticketholder, on here because it's more instantly likeable and a bit more unusual (features more fiddle) but I think I put that on the last one of these we had.

Fields - Song For The Fields

This was a free download on iTunes a couple of years ago which struck me instantly. Have picked up some amazing songs using that (another being Barnowl by Caribou which I appear to have lost to the sands of time). I love the whole song but particularly the vocals between 1:40 and 2:00 that lead into the wig-out. Beautiful and uplifting (reminds me of Sunrise by Pulp which I nearly put on instead).

As Tall As Lions - Song For Luna

A band that my best mate got me into. He's even worse than me when it comes to music but I haven't heard of the vast majority of the stuff he's got. It's all slightly obscure indie/rock bands that Mark or Flynny might like/have heard of. Every now and then he will recommend a band which almost verge on MOR pop/rock music but actually I end up loving (Matthew was another one). The more immediate track on the album is Ghost of York but I went for this instead. The opening track Stab City is the other highlight on there. I love the vocals on this, particularly around the 2:30 mark and the outro which is beautiful.

Ikara Colt - At The Lodge

Total afterthought. Wanted something rockier to accompany Future of the Left and randomly went for this. Haven't listened to it for years. Great song though. Loads going on. The drumming is spectacular.

Future of the Left - The Lord Hates A Coward

I absolutely love these. When Mclusky split up I didn't follow what happened to them but later learned that two of them formed this lot. Got the album through the mate mentioned above a few weeks before it came out and instantly fell in love with it. I can see why people might think it sounds depressing or droney but it doesn't come across like that to me at all. There's got to be something on here for everyone. I should really have picked Adeadenemyalwayssmellsgood which is similar but went for this instead. As Finners said, it's great but it's still not Mclusky which can't be helped.

High Contrast - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

I heard Racing Green by High Contrast at Original Four in Leicester in 2004 and immediately went up to my mate who was DJing and asked what the hell it was. Subsequently got the album that Christmas which is great. Check every now and then what he's done recently and download it. This is fantastic. Another one off eMusic. The sample reminds me a bit of the Nancy Sinatra one on Audio Bullys' Shot Me Down which I was absolutely obsessed with before it came out. DnB is the best kind of music, thrilling and energetic. I couldn't listen to it forever but for me when it's great it's better than anything else.

Errors - Salut! France

I had tickets to see Underworld at the Roundhouse last October, has always been a dream of mine to see them live. When Beaucoup Fish came out when I was 15/16, I was a bit too young to go and all of my mates were into indie. Days before the gig I fell very ill (something bordering on glandular fever) and there's no way I could have gone. My brother ended up going with a mate of his and had an incredible time. So now he's seen them (at the same age I was when I wanted to originally) and I still haven't. Just before I fell ill I decided to find out who the support band was - it was these, who I think are from Scotland, can't remember - and since then I have listened to this song loads. I think it's brilliant. It will get stuck in your head. Would have been easy to put an Underworld, Hot Chip or Fujiya & Miyagi song on there but you've seen me banging on about all of those on this forum so many times.

Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Mysteries

Because I knew it would be appreciated. I haven't got the album, it's not really my thing generally speaking, but this was on one of those free HMV CDs they give you when you spend £10 or more, got it about five years ago.

Les Negresses Vertes - La Valse

I think it's a good outro! You don't need some rousing 14-minute post-rock festival on the end of every mixtape! It's from the early 90s, one my Dad used to play a lot when I was a kid. The singer died of a heroin overdose which was strange and mysterious to me as a child (also acted as bit of an introduction to the tortured soul of the musician before Kurt Cobain's death a year later)

High Contrast - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

I heard Racing Green by High Contrast at Original Four in Leicester in 2004 and immediately went up to my mate who was DJing and asked what the hell it was. Subsequently got the album that Christmas which is great. Check every now and then what he's done recently and download it. This is fantastic. Another one off eMusic. The sample reminds me a bit of the Nancy Sinatra one on Audio Bullys' Shot Me Down which I was absolutely obsessed with before it came out. DnB is the best kind of music, thrilling and energetic. I couldn't listen to it forever but for me when it's great it's better than anything else.

I saw Audio Bullys do that tune live the other weekend. The gig on a whole was average but everything kicked off when they played that little beauty.

As for your comment about dnb couldn't agree more. Love it now as much as I did when I first discovered it about 12 years ago.

I think I'd like to read why people included songs on their mix - that'd be interesting.

Especially LFF! :D

Because i knew you'd hate it.

^ Exactly, I have LFF's mostly shite mix to thank after looking into more songs from Emmy the Great :D

Well i did something right!

Reasons for choosing the songs I did.

1) The Secret Machines - Sad and Lonely

Nothing more than the fact that I think this is a belting song with a great beat. I love to listen to it when dancing. It's the sort of song which makes me imagine myself as lead singer/guitarist in a band. I bet belting this one out would be great fun. Nothing to this song really, just a good tune and a good beat and I like it.

2) Hercules & Love Affair - Hercules' Theme

I fell in love with this track the first time I heard it. I'd heard it three or four times on a sampler I got with Clash ( ? ) magazine, which I put in my car. I didn't have the cd sleeve with me and kept meaning to check it but never did. I then purchased this particular album because I'd seen them reviewed favourably and semi-likened to Hot Chip amongst some other bands I really like. The entire album is very, very good and a must for anyone who likes this sort of thing. I included this track because it's the one which got me hooked.

3) The Dresden Dolls - Coin Operated Boy

It's kooky and I quite like that in my music. It's a bit too kitsch to stand up to serious musical scrutiny or repeated listens but I love the way she sings it. There is a lovely syncopany about it which serves to tie it in with the imagery. I just like the idea, the imagery and the sound. For what it's worth, The Dresden Dolls don't really do all the much for me. Interesting track though.

3) Motion City Soundtrack - The Future Freaks Me Out

Someone dubbed this as 'American Power Pop' - it's probably about the best way it can be described in 3 words. It's fun and poppy and lively and as thin, unveiled and throwaway as music should be (at times). It's not a reflective, deep or meaningful record, but it's a lot of fun and it's catchy.

4) Ladytron - Last One Standing

Possibly my favourite Ladytron track. I thought this would be a favourite. I can't remember how it was received now. For what it's worth, Ladytron are bloody good anyway. This song just happens to be my favourite slice of funky, electronica at the moment. I like the mood, the tune... in fact, I can sum it up, I like everything about the track.

5) The French - Wu-Tang Clan

When Hefner stopped being lost-love obsessed, acoustic guitar strumming indie boys and became electronica influenced, synth meddling, lost-love obsessed men - The French was the inevitable result.

This is far from my favourite Wu-Tang clan, but it's a good introduction. The lyrics to Hefner/French songs are often excruciatingly twee but bizarrely endearing. Sometimes they are extremely insightful - regarding the importance or impact (cringe - Thracian) of minutiae and small detail. Anyway, this song is quite atmospheric and was the first track I heard from The French. I've moved on from it now and in all honesty, am a bit bored of it. Was interested to see what you load would make of it and it's a bit more INSTANT than most of their stuff - so this was the one to go for.

6) Those Dancing Days - Those Dancing Days

Just a ruddy good track. Beat, tune, vocals... it adds up to more than the sum of it's parts. Expected this to be a favourite. I knew Fez would like this (and he did).

7) Turin Brakes - The State of Things

A lovely song from an underrated band. You'll all have heard of the Turin Brakes. Many of you won't have looked far in to them or perhaps have heard this song. Well worth repeated listens. Lovely.

8) Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Miss Trudy

Not their best song (they got better as they went on) - but one of the more bizarre ones. I like a lot of the imagery and the quite kooky sound. It doesn't all hang together terribly well as a piece of music - let alone a 'pop' song at all, but it's a sound which is quite unique to GZM.

9) Jurassic 5 - Work It Out

The most instant and poppy of Jurassic 5's recent works. I don't feel like I should like it, but it has a real and lasting appeal for me. I can't put my finger on it. I like Jurassic 5 - this song is an ideal introduction to them. Having said that, all of you will have heard of J5 - I didn't really appreciate how popular they were.

10) Hefner - Hymn for the Cigarettes

One of my favourite Hefner songs. There are a core of songs from this band which I adore. A lot of feels so heartfelt and genuinely emotive. It's not pitch perfect either - not even close. It's part of the appeal. That could be you or I.. in many ways that is you or I. We'd all like to sound angry and hurt like Metallica or melancholy and depressive like Morrissey but in reality, when we try either, we just sound like Hefner.

11) Goldfrapp - Caravan Girl

I love Goldfrapp. This is a bit of a change of direction for them - not a massive one... but certainly a deliberate and calculated diversion towards 'pop'. Surprisingly it works. For me 'Black Cherry' is the album of choice... but the new album is very, very pleasant. Pleasant is the word I genuinely would use. That's not a careless, positive word I've just thrown in.. it's just nice, fuzzy and pleasant. Boy can she sing. This song just puts a smile on my face. It is.. as Fez pointed out, unashamedly 1990's pop. But when it's done THIS well, well.... listen to the album.

12) Blackalicious - The Fabulous Ones

I started off not a fan of this track - but it's interesting. The beat is what appeals to me. I can't really say too much more about this. Blackalicious do what they do well. It's probably not the best introduction - but Fez and JtB will already have suggested those, months back. This is simply a case of me putting it in as at the time, I think it was on my ipod playing, I was enjoying it so I put it on.

13) The Wave Pictures - We Never Motored West

This wasn't the track I intended and I hate it. It was suggested to me by a fellow Hefner fan. For what it's worth, I meant to put The Hidden Cameras here (Ban Marriage), but you got this. And it's sh it.

14) Terence Trent D'arby - Holding On To You

This comes from my dad. I remember him playing this a lot (the single) on cassette in the living room. Additionally, Bob Dylan - Time out of Mind album. Awesome. Anyway, the song just grabbed me. I've loved it since then. I like the over the top guitar effects. I like TTD's voice. I know he's an 80's ish kitsch look-at-me self-important moron, but I like him - shoot me.

15) Drive By Truckers - A Blessing and a Curse

I'm not sure why I put this on now. I think I was really enjoying the album at the time. This is probably one of the stronger tracks. If I'd thought harder (or could have got hold of it online) - A Fureys track would have gone here. Still, I doubt if many people had heard it before.

16) Blackstreet - Don't Leave Me (pure cheese. I make no apologies)

A friend of mine used to love Blackstreet. I did too - almost through effort. No Diggity is a genuinely good track - there are some other surprisingly good tracks too. This one obviously is a cheesy song and I almost wish I didn't like it. But I do. If this was a complilation of deserving tracks - BoyzIIMen (end of the road probably) would fulfil my need for this sort of thing on here as they do it 500 times better. But that would be predictable. I bet a few of you didn't mind it (if you can excuse the over-production and the fact it goes on a bit too long).

17) Sigur Ros - Andvari

Predictable 'taste' points here. Put on for the benefit of anyone who has always meant to check out Sigur Ros but never has. I adore them.

18) Erykah Badu - Kiss Me On My Neck.

Erykah Badu is so funky and man has she got att-it-ude. Some of it passes me by - this has a good vibe though. I'm tempted to use the word urban, that would make me sound like I know what I'm talking about.

I'll Pm you some mixes mate.

There's no point me uploading it, everyone will hate it and call me ****.

What did you have in mind for a mix? I'm not that familiar with the tastes on here. sorry...

I'll Pm you some mixes mate.

There's no point me uploading it, everyone will hate it and call me ****.

Since when has that bothered you? You soldiered on bravely right through that Jobber thread.

Incidentally, do you remember/have you seen the thing with blades for arms in 300?

4) Ladytron - Last One Standing

Possibly my favourite Ladytron track. I thought this would be a favourite. I can't remember how it was received now. For what it's worth, Ladytron are bloody good anyway. This song just happens to be my favourite slice of funky, electronica at the moment. I like the mood, the tune... in fact, I can sum it up, I like everything about the track.

I've listened to this album a lot over the last week thanks to this mix :thumbup:

everyone will ... call me ****.

I don't think it has anything to do with the music. :whistle::P

Finally started downloading the mixes... will listen through them and then stick mine up *waits for obvious jokes*

Well, someone had to. :giggle:

So, who is the lucky recipient? :unsure:;)

Archived